Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
great looking rig .... I always wanted to ride a snow sled but never have , I figure I'm too big for the lil things and would have a very bad day trying to fold up that small ... where to put a 6'7" heavy duty frame on them would be my issue lol .. leg length room alone doesn't look all that inviting

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone put tracks on a prowler? I see em out there. Got my unit a few weeks ago and was hoping to ride some. Unfortunately we have been getting snow in the valleys and I'm already rubbing bottom. If they weren't so darn spendy. Just got the wife talked into buying the machine so I probably won't have much luck convincing her to spend another $4000-$5000.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
if you want 4 season use of your rig tracks are a must , my ex-neighbor in Coeur d'Alene has a set that I lusted over .. he rode years around and had a ball "wheeling" with the snowmobiles in heavy deep N. Idaho snow .. I rode his rig and fell in love vowing to have a set, but now I'm in Reno Nv area not enough snow to spend the $$ [at least yet ] .. closest deep snow will be the Sierra's ..

IMHO with tracks a fellow needs a ride partner for sure .. be nothing worse than getting way back in and a break down , be like the guy in Jeramaya Johnson [sp? a movie with Robert Redford] where he finds the Sharps 50 Cal. in the frozen mans hands LOL ... Na I don't want to be critter food.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Tracks are nice, but my love for outdoors during the winter is fast losing ground! Cost of tracks offset any appeal for me! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've seen a lot of videos of people using them in mud also, we don't get enough snow to justify the cost either.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
The rigs I saw were very impressive, couple of shots on you tube also! If I lived in the upper peninsula I would have a set. I'd rather ride the Prowler than a snowmobile!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I almost have the wife talked in to them to go look for wolf tracks and get some winter scenery pictures etc to keep active in winter. However, winter is a bad bad bad time to be stuck by yourself in the mountains even with a good winter survival kit. Also trying to talk next door neighbor into getting tracks for his rzr. then it is not so bad.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
wow a riding buddy with them would be the cat's PJ's for sure .. that and a good survival kit in the bed/box and some great snow gear [snow shoes included] would be like heaven .. the trails are relatively empty in winter [except for the more open ones where the snow cats are] .. that would be some great times for sure.

Carp1 where is home for you ?
oh BTW .. fill in signature lines and location so we can give better input without having to ask ???'s

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I almost have the wife talked in to them to go look for wolf tracks and get some winter scenery pictures etc to keep active in winter. However, winter is a bad bad bad time to be stuck by yourself in the mountains even with a good winter survival kit. Also trying to talk next door neighbor into getting tracks for his rzr. then it is not so bad.
The tracks would be awesome if you get a lot of snow...lol if your buddy gets them for his rzr then you have to have a set.......as for me we have only got one snow so far.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Just came in from plowing snow! 11 degrees and 20 mph winds! Prowler working great, 4,000 rpm, low gear, and moving a heck of a lot of snow! Had to adjust the shift cable, could not get reverse! Minor adjustment did the trick! Took longer to pull the seats and doghouse than the actual adjustment!

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Started my doors project, 3/4" EMT for the frames, .060 aluminum for the skins. I plan on welding tabs to the frames and attach the aluminum to the tabs. Frames will be powder coated black, and the aluminum will be brush finished. Made a cardboard template, and a hand bender to form the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice doors. when I get back from florida I got to take my sled apart to put the new heat exchanger in. just wait till see what I have to take off to change it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I thought the same with the conduit, contemplated square tubing and a small bender from Northern tool. Mine would need to be full doors though. all in time.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Rob , isn't that heat exchanger up in the tunnel? Sounds like you have to drop the tracks! Serious job! Hate to see what a dealer would charge! At least you know it will be done right if you do it.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
I looked at thin wall mild steel, but the pricing was high. I've used conduit on many projects, easy to get, hand bendable, easy to cut, and very rigid in short lengths. The only time I use the Prowler is for snowplowing, and I have my snowmobile outfit if it gets that cold (if it gets that cold, I don't go out!). Did you finish your alternator project, and how did it work out?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rob , isn't that heat exchanger up in the tunnel? Sounds like you have to drop the tracks! Serious job! Hate to see what a dealer would charge! At least you know it will be done right if you do it.
yep up in the tunnel one piece from front to rear. Ya track and drive also gas tank and oil tank, muffler, Battery, air silencer, all plastic's, rear snow flap, seat. every thing but the motor. I got lots of time to do the job right. Not worried if it don't see snow this season. There is always next season. I also want to make a few changes to where my HID blasts are.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Well at least you won't get bored! LOL

1 - 20 of 70 Posts