Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I broke a rear outer CV joint on my 2010 xtz. Can you just pull the old axle out of the diff by hand? Should I buy stock or aftermarket? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The axles can be easy or very difficult to get out.

Usually you can just pull from the stub axle side outward. If you have the new style pop up button lock c-clip axles (white cups) you would push the axle bar inward (plunge in towards the rear diff) then a quick snappy pull outward and they should come out. As far as stock or aftermarket depends on what you have done to the car. The newest run of axles should be fine if you are stock. They run around $169 to $200 for the complete assembly. You can't just replace the cv because AC doesn't sell the parts so a complete axle is in order. There are a few places that are making a little bit better axle assembly as well. Send desert cat a pm he knows a few good places for aftermarket stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
flying121 gave some great info and I totally agree.
Rumor is the new 2011xtz axles are as strong as gorilla.

I have not broken one yet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i might still have some broken gorilla axle parts laying around if you need,they aint all that. stronger then stock but deffinately not indestructable.their weak link is the inner cv ball race,they make the cage real thick but they borrow the room from the inner race,the grooves are barely deep enuf to hold the balls. so all the load is on a very small area and they wear super quick and run super hot if at any angle at all. they`d get so hot on our 4whlrs that the boots would blow up and burst like ballons. the grease is always full of metal. and we twisted off a few axle shafts as well. but we`r hard on **** up in the last frontier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts