Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have searched the forum several times and all i find is seal leaks from the axel shafts well i went on a ride yesterday and now i have a good leak coming out of my diff leaking from the drive shaft input. oil is all over my brake caliper and pads. it is deffinitly not brake fluid. just wondering if any of you guys have had this issue and did you have to dissassemble the whole diff to replace the seals it looks like a pretty easy job just looking for some hints and tricks thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chris i have spent several hours on and off looking for info but seem to be at a loss. all i read about is seals blowing out people drilling and tapping new holes for breathers, bellos are to short and so on. i run amsoil gear oil and have for about 6 months. just ran into this issue today. can i fix the problem with leaving the diff in place and i saw that you leave an inch of room in the diffs from the fill hole do you know hom many oz or mm you put in them. i just fill them to the hole and screw the cap on. my ft does not leak anything but this is a first for me and am very maticulose about reliability and no leaks. should i replace the bearing in there to behind the retainer, wile im at it?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
JP, Mine leaked from the same spot after I did a service and filled it to the bottom of the hole like the service manual said. We have found you must fun these diffs 1" below the hole. The get to hot and with the bellow breather design they build to much pressure and the seals are the weak point. The breather relocate mod is a good idbut not a total must. The fluid level is the problem. Clean everthing up and drop the oil leave. If it still leaks then you may of blown the seal and it will need to be changed.

Hope this helps

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i orderd the seal from eaac today. just to have it. ill let some oil out of the diff in the ft to. just to be safe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know, ive always had mine topped off and this is my first leak. i dont think no two prowlers are alike haha. its comical

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i started pulling the skid plates to get access from underneath and noticed there is a cap in the center of the u joint on the differential it looks like a plug about the size of a quarter, well it was laying on the skid plate i see it in a diagram but not labeled is it important. seth did you drill a new vent hole

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i found the part# that poped out, was it a big deal to pop out, did it build pressure to pop out? and could the oil be coming from their or more likely the seal

Arctic Cat COVER,END(28X7)
Part Number: 1402-322
Price: $2.97​

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Guys some of these diffs will be ok with just filling it up to 1 inch down bellow the fill hole. However if this does not work for you you are gonna have to drill and install a real breather. Most of the people this does not work for live in 90-100 plus temp areas. It is not hard to do. But to do it right the diff needs to be pulled and worked on.
There are a couple of reasons for some doing it and some not. Most people from what I am hearing or have heard do not have the problem with the front diff. But a small percentage have. I guess this is because the rear has more load because it is doing the work and gets warmer. Plus the stock tube comes out of the diff in a terrible location. And of course when the fluid gets warm plus any pressure at all it just pumps it right past the seals. Obviously the fluid when warm really flows nicely past the seals. I have even seen a few of the bellows get holes melted in them from the hot diff fluid. You are gonna be a lot happier to just drill and tap em and get the breather installed. Of course with a breather the diff or diffs are open to water from water crossings. Or from washing.
Another thing to look at is the surface that the seals are riding on. They have to be smooth enough for the seal to do its job. And if the seal or the sealing surface is wet the diff fluid will most likely just keep wiking out. You stand a lot better chance of drying the leaks up seal wise with as little pressure as possible. Also good sealing surfaces. And dry sealing surfaces. Number one though on these cat diffs is the pressure part though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So with the open breather I need to also install a catch can?
I am leaving the oem bellow and also tapped the dry cavity just thought a tube ran up high would be all I needed to do.
I have seen the thread with the gutted fuel filter is that the catch can you are referring to?
Think I could use the 650 bellow in place of the gutted fuel filter? I would put a tube in the top of the bellow and run it up a bit farther.

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes i saw that thread to and the fuel filter i beleive is being used as the catch can. also like everyone said 1 inch below the fill hole is 10 oz of gear lube i have been putting to much. so i lowered it and well see what happens to mine oem manual says 9.5 oz in diffs.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just put in some royal purple and 1 bottle did both diff's.
I am somewhere around 1" below the fill.
I have yet to run my vent tubes though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts