Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear diff suddenly leaks a lot. Almost empty for oil. It must have come pretty fast, no leak in the start of the weekend. Well, is the next step buying a new seal? Do i need a new bearing? Or can it be the axle?
There is spilled oil around the axle and at the lower part of the diff

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
probly just the seals on the CV. Pull the drain plug and see if you have any metal on the magnet. a few shavings is normal, chunks are not. Seals are easy to replace just pop out the axles, pull he old seals and carefully drive in the new ones. Should be able to replace both and have it refilled in under an hour.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CV is the axle, right? Got a spare rear axle (bought two when one popped this spring). Will try replace my axle tomorrow, hope thats it

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
CV is the axle, right? Got a spare rear axle (bought two when one popped this spring). Will try replace my axle tomorrow, hope thats it
The seal is in the diff. Just replacing the axle wont do you much good. You may be able to pull the axle out and see if there is some crap in the seal, clean it up, grease it then put the axle back in. But I would just keep refilling the diff and not mess with it till you get new seals to install. Seals are cheap.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Usually you can tap them in place with a hammer, just have to make sure it does not get distorted, or borrow a seal tool.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand. Hope this seal is a bit more friendly than the one I tried tap in in the primery cluth. That went bad. Dont think I greased it then..

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
The differential seals are somewhat larger, and more forgiving. They pop out pretty easy, and install is not bad. Anything that covers the entire surface will work, and try and seat it evenly. I've used a piece of 2X4 wood in the past to hammer on.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The differential seals are somewhat larger, and more forgiving. They pop out pretty easy, and install is not bad. Anything that covers the entire surface will work, and try and seat it evenly. I've used a piece of 2X4 wood in the past to hammer on.
and pay attention to the lip of the seal, which way it goes in is VERY IMPORTANT

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did the front recently and believe also used a piece of wood to get started. Then I used a piece of steel stock (because it had a flat surface and could hammer it with pretty good control) to lightly tap it into place all around the edges - taking care not to damage the rubber, and making sure to stop once it bottomed out.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
No need to remove the differential. Plenty of room to work. Worse part about this is getting the hub nut loose! You can bypass that by removing the whole knuckle, and axle, it saves several steps by doing it that way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought Castrol 75/90 synthetic axle oil today. The one I did use was castrol 80/90 mineral oil. What do you use/recomed?
Did fill aprox 1/2 inch below fill hole last time - guess I should try 1" below when I get my new seals.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I like the synthetics better, but that is mostly user preference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turned out to be the axle that had popped out. Had a spare rear axle, and now everything is fine. Did ofcourse keep the old axle - will it be good like a new one if I buy a new c-clip and replace it?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Turned out to be the axle that had popped out. Had a spare rear axle, and now everything is fine. Did ofcourse keep the old axle - will it be good like a new one if I buy a new c-clip and replace it?
If its not buggered up you should be able to put on a new C clip and have it for a spare!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
lucky you if still good

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I've run across that problem on several different posts, and one personal experience! Put a new C-Clip on it, and was good as new! I now carry C-Clips with me when traveling!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts