Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rear of a 2007 XT supposed to have the rear diff locked? If I raise mine off the ground.....both rear wheels turn together and not independently. I started noticing it was hard to steer when driving on a hard surface, so that is why I checked the rear diff. Is is supposed to be locked? If not, what would cause it to lock?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Is the rear of a 2007 XT supposed to have the rear diff locked? If I raise mine off the ground.....both rear wheels turn together and not independently. I started noticing it was hard to steer when driving on a hard surface, so that is why I checked the rear diff. Is is supposed to be locked? If not, what would cause it to lock?

Thanks
Im sure someone will have and answer for you, I have an 2009 that has a turf saver rear diff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it is certainly tough on the terrain, Wonder if it could be swapped for a later model diff, or use a front diff with the manual lock.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Too good. I would like to get the rear setup with an electric locker setup so when riding on the street I can unlock and have the open diff. Save some tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never tried it myself, but what about installing the 700XTX rear diff with the "turf tamer" set-up. Same kinda thing that you are looking for. The rear gearcase is similar to an automotive style diff. The gearcase to be changed and the rear driveshaft is all that needs to be swapped
Has anybody looked into that ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, the XTX models have the rear diff. I know that mine really is a lot easier to live with than the no-diff rear on my dad's Rhino. I have never really found a time where I had only 1 tire spin either, so I guess it works as advertised. I read some where that it is a Detroit Locker. I don't know if they build the diff, if its just their design, or if they really had nothing to do with it. In any event, mine works as advertised. It would be cool to be able to manually lock it, but I really haven't needed to. I am guessing that the axles are probably a little shorter and the diff wider on the XTX, but I don't really know that for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts