Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else experience anything like this. Climbing a rutted hill in 2WD low range when something started sounding expensive. Of course it happens one month after my warranty expired, not really what I would expect with only 634 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ouch. Man that sucks. That does look expensive. Haven't had that happen, but just found out that the cross brace on mine, under the rear diff, the welds have failed.

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
Be interesting to see what caused the breakage! While these things have decent torque, it is nowhere near what would be needed to explode a differential!

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Interco Reptile Radials I put on it had a hand in it. I was climbing a hill that I had been on before but I had stock tires and was in 4WD. This time I was in 2WD, which put all of the power/torque to the rear, and the tires weren't spinning which didn't give a release like before. Also, these differential housings are made out of cast aluminum, definitely not the strongest stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone be aware that the issue I had with this differential isn't an isolated incident. There was another Prowler brought into the same dealer mine is at, within a weeks time, with the same issue. After my dealer finally got a hold of Arctic Cat there was discussion about a mid year manufacturer change in this part because they knew it was weak but they will not help in any way with the problem. So keep the 4WD engaged if you are going to put any abnormal stress on the rear end.

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
Wonder is that also applies to the XTX, and XT models? They show a different part number, but both are the 3.6 gear set. I always thought the HDX gear was just turned up side down for the reversed engine mounting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the weak casting goes across both models. There's another post with an XTZ that has a split across the entire diff.

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
Have to watch mine! But after the miles I have, it should have happened by now!

·
Registered
288 Posts
On my 09 XTZ the dif. was moving a small amount and I retightened the bolts and it fixed it but I am thinking about adding a torque arm to keep out the slack between the bolts and bolt holes, only makes since. DON~~~

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
Pictures! Torque arm may be a great investment!

Reactions: Thamilt and de3

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone else experience anything like this. Climbing a rutted hill in 2WD low range when something started sounding expensive. Of course it happens one month after my warranty expired, not really what I would expect with only 634 miles.
It looks like yours is only fastened on the bottom, on the XTZ it is bolted on the top and bottom. DON~~~

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
XTX also has two mounting bolts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a second mount on the top/rear of the differential. It held strong, which is why it's twisted up the way it is.

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
That is a nasty looking blown up part!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this thread. They didn't fix the problem. I recently bought 2014 Prowler 700 HDX. There is severe slop in the cast aluminum mounts. So much so that it broke a bolt and then broke the bottom cross brace away from the frame similar to Sockman.. I was looking for a solution. A torque arm sounds great! Fairmont79 did you get it done?

·
Administrator
7,299 Posts
I never installed a torque arm, but thinking it would be fairly easy to build one. Somethin to cradle both sides, and fit two bolt holes per side, and attachment arm to the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts