Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have seepage from the seals on your rear diff or blowing out the seals? A buddy of mine who raced his 650 kept having issues with the seals even after replacing them twice so he ended up installing a vented catch can for the rear diff at about 500 miles and now has 3500 miles with zero issues with the diff. I noticed some seepage on my XTZ and also noticed the vent bulb completely expanded and very hot after a hard ride. I am currently in the process of adding a vented catch can to my XTZ for the rear diff and will have some pics and results soon. Hopefully something like this will resolve the diff issues with our cats..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brandon

You can relocate the vent on the front and rear diffs. I will take some pics. tonight and post them in the morning. it will fix the issues your having

·
Registered
861 Posts
mine left rear axle boot is showing signs of sepage.. Will post a pic tonight...This is how Flying121's axle pull out started i believe. split

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine just started doing that on right rear. Can you please tell if you bought a manufactured catch can or did you make one? My right rear started leaking after 150mile. I would like to solve problem before i fixed seal. Thanks !

·
Registered
682 Posts
My 650 xt never stopped blowing seals , and ac put new rear end in it. That is good to know that it wasnt an machining issue with the cats.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok the first pic. shows the new location for your vent tube. If you look at your diff there is A casting index on the side where you want to drill its A round mark with index marks on it.

The next pic. is our vent / res. setup we cut A fuel filter remove the filter JB weld it back together and cap it with a K&N filter.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics/info that is a good I idea that I am gonna use instead of the catch can.. much cleaner install and more mounting possibilities.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Wow thanks Jim!!!! Throwing down some exsperience right there. Thats a great set up.

Great pics and info!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a seal leaking on the front and the back of my Prowler. The front one was bad enough that I changed it. After that I added 1 extra bellows to the front and rear and I havn't had a problem since. Before the extra bellows, they would get pretty blown up after a long run, but now they seam ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bipolar Jim,
Mine has a vent directly on top of the differential, which goes up the chassis behind the drivers seat, which is headed off by a bellows.
I was wondering if you did your vent in addition to this or since mine was just manufactured in March did A/C try to remedy this. Mine still leaks so I thought I would rig up a vent like yours to the end of the vent hose behind the seat which is sealed at this time to that bellows. Or do I need both ? By the way your XTZ is trick. Thanks, Goin Postel

·
Registered
105 Posts
Postel

You must move the location of your vent tube and cap the tube at the top of the diff. The new location is A dry cell in the diff that only sees oil in extream heat. Look close at the pics. and you can see the top tube is plugged.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you don't drill a new vent on the side like Jim suggests and just put a breather on the stock line instead of the bellows you will end up with a smokey mess as the gear oil pukes out on your motor/exhaust every time you stop after high speed driving.. Believe me I know from experiencing this and thinking my XTZ was on fire :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pull the fitting out of the diff. and size it the proper drill bit. Its A press fit use A punch to put it back in. We use green Loctite but I'm sure red will work.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad I found this site my rear diff had oil all over the left side and I couldn't find the spot where it was coming from. But after lookin closer my bellow popped. Anyway Jim I was wondering if I could use the same set up you came up with but with the existing outlet since I'm chicken sh!t about drilling my diff?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts