Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 HDX 700 has a locked up rear axle which I am guessing is the way they are built. Is it possible to put a for real differential in this machine so it will turn around without tearing up the lawn? I would like for it to turn like a road vehicle with the rear wheels able to turn at different speeds.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am assuming your wanting to install a turf saver rear end? You will find out that most guys eneded up removing the turf saver rear end from their units because they prematurely failed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not familiar with the 'turf saver' rear ends but that sounds like a rear end with differential action. I also had know idea that they were prone to failure. I doubt I would want to add that to my list of problems.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am not familiar with the 'turf saver' rear ends but that sounds like a rear end with differential action. I also had know idea that they were prone to failure. I doubt I would want to add that to my list of problems.
Being prone to failure may be a little harsh in terms but. They do wear out over time. I myself am not familiar either the setup either. I just know that everyone eliminates it due to the upkeep required!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
There seems to be a history of failures with the Turf Saver rear end, It was installed in the 2008,09,& 10 XTX models only. I have one in mine and have over 5,000 miles on it, and it is still going strong. I only used Arctic Cat friction modified lube in it, and change it twice a year. The downside on the unit is the price compared to the locked rear gear, 850.00 for the turf saver, and 180.00 for the locked gear. I'd be afraid to by a used one as I think you would be asking for trouble. Looked at the parts manual, the turf saver would fit your case, both are 36 teeth ring gears, you would also need to change axles to the 8,9,or 10 XTX as the splines are different. I say axles as you could change the inner CV Joint, but you can get a complete axle for 10.00 dollars more than the CV joint!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Welcome to the best prowler site,hope you like your HDX,stay in touch........:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
There seems to be a history of failures with the Turf Saver rear end, It was installed in the 2008,09,& 10 XTX models only. I have one in mine and have over 5,000 miles on it, and it is still going strong. I only used Arctic Cat friction modified lube in it, and change it twice a year. The downside on the unit is the price compared to the locked rear gear, 850.00 for the turf saver, and 180.00 for the locked gear. I'd be afraid to by a used one as I think you would be asking for trouble. Looked at the parts manual, the turf saver would fit your case, both are 36 teeth ring gears, you would also need to change axles to the 8,9,or 10 XTX as the splines are different. I say axles as you could change the inner CV Joint, but you can get a complete axle for 10.00 dollars more than the CV joint!
Great INFO RD........................:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Yeah, we try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks DE3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CV Joint removal

I am not up to speed on current terminology but is it possible to remove one of the CV Shafts to a back wheel and still run the machine? To me it is an axle but I am old and my lingo doesn't fit modern usage.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I don't think it would work, not worth the effort to try!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I am not up to speed on current terminology but is it possible to remove one of the CV Shafts to a back wheel and still run the machine? To me it is an axle but I am old and my lingo doesn't fit modern usage.
hosssmith I wouldn't go through the trouble you can buy a complete axle for under 200 dollars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To OP: If you're interested, I have a mint set of axles out of my 2009 XTX 700 that had the turf saver... have about 300 miles on them. My turf saver got busted by my kids 'jumping' a small dirt mound in my yard so I changed over to a bullet-proof spool and Gorilla axles... I'll take $100 plus the ride if you need them. email me at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
To OP: If you're interested, I have a mint set of axles out of my 2009 XTX 700 that had the turf saver... have about 300 miles on them. My turf saver got busted by my kids 'jumping' a small dirt mound in my yard so I changed over to a bullet-proof spool and Gorilla axles... I'll take $100 plus the ride if you need them. email me at [email protected]
That would make someone a great deal,if you have the turf saver,years 08,09,10 700xtx.....................I think 2010.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
8,9,and 10 is correct! My friend is taking a Prowler up to Peacock Industries (They are an Artcat Dealer) to have the new ECM Flashed, he will be asking about the Turf Saver parts, and labor cost to put one in. He is going to try and get the parts himself. Wait and see!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How to compensate for lack of a differential.

My solution was to remove the CV Shaft from the left rear wheel.That obviously does not equal a differential but it does take the skidding turns out of the machine thus reducing the damage done to the landscape when turning.The down side would be the ease with which the right rear wheel can be spun with a heavy foot on the very responsive throttle and of course the Prowler does not go as well on soft or plowed ground at low speeds unless the ever wheel pull switch is mashed.

Front wheel pull will bail me out of most any soft spot I get into and after testing we deemed it to work quite well.All things are tradeoffs and so is giving up power to both back wheels to get a vehicle that is easier on the ground and more maneuverable at low speed.This was not a problem for me account I have always had to modify whatever vehicle I have in an attempt to get the needed performance.I expect to have increased tire wear on the one powered wheel and when under heavy acceleration on loose surfaces the Cat tends to turn to the left which was easily corrected by turning the steering wheel to the right a bit or by easing off on the throttle thus requiring a bit more attention to detail – single engine air planes do the same on takeoff account of the propeller rotation.Of course it also wants to veer to the left under heavy acceleration on loose surfaces when in ever wheel pull but again it has so far proved to be quite manageable.

This fix would not suit most folks that buy a Prowler account they either want to go fast with a lot of performance or they are in terrain that requires all wheel pull and good performance to get where they are going.I am old so I am not in a hurry and I don’t mind powering my way over rough terrain at a more sedate pace.I do not want my gizzards and livers to swap places when driving my Three Wheel Drive Prowler.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My solution was to remove the CV Shaft from the left rear wheel.That obviously does not equal a differential but it does take the skidding turns out of the machine thus reducing the damage done to the landscape when turning.The down side would be the ease with which the right rear wheel can be spun with a heavy foot on the very responsive throttle and of course the Prowler does not go as well on soft or plowed ground at low speeds unless the ever wheel pull switch is mashed.

Front wheel pull will bail me out of most any soft spot I get into and after testing we deemed it to work quite well.All things are tradeoffs and so is giving up power to both back wheels to get a vehicle that is easier on the ground and more maneuverable at low speed.This was not a problem for me account I have always had to modify whatever vehicle I have in an attempt to get the needed performance.I expect to have increased tire wear on the one powered wheel and when under heavy acceleration on loose surfaces the Cat tends to turn to the left which was easily corrected by turning the steering wheel to the right a bit or by easing off on the throttle thus requiring a bit more attention to detail – single engine air planes do the same on takeoff account of the propeller rotation.Of course it also wants to veer to the left under heavy acceleration on loose surfaces when in ever wheel pull but again it has so far proved to be quite manageable.

This fix would not suit most folks that buy a Prowler account they either want to go fast with a lot of performance or they are in terrain that requires all wheel pull and good performance to get where they are going.I am old so I am not in a hurry and I don’t mind powering my way over rough terrain at a more sedate pace.I do not want my gizzards and livers to swap places when driving my Three Wheel Drive Prowler.
Thanks for your thought/I will agree a locked diff will tear the yard up.:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Yeah, that is why I'm dragging my feet on getting rid of the turf saver. I'm going to run it til it quits! Locked rear and axles to fit are on my shelf!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all

In my last post I forgot to thank everyone for their replies and advice. I do appreciate everyone's input :)

~Hoss

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'm bringing my spare differential, and axles to NH! Turf Saver is still trouble free! But I will be prepared! LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts