Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the rear end vent posted on here last year and worked great, but on my last ride it started puking fluid from the vent on hard pulles up hills. I think something is wrong inside the rearend and I will take it apart when I get home from this trip. I just parked it.
Has anyone else had a problem with the rear end. It is a 09 XTZ with 2500 trail miles and some street miles, it is street legal but has never been trashed.
Thanks DON~~~

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I did the rear end vent posted on here last year and worked great, but on my last ride it started puking fluid from the vent on hard pulles up hills. I think something is wrong inside the rearend and I will take it apart when I get home from this trip. I just parked it.
Has anyone else had a problem with the rear end. It is a 09 XTZ with 2500 trail miles and some street miles, it is street legal but has never been trashed.
Thanks DON~~~
Don

I had this problem when I over serviced the rear diff. Seems like it's very sensitive to having just a few to many cc's of diff fluid.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don

I had this problem when I over serviced the rear diff. Seems like it's very sensitive to having just a few to many cc's of diff fluid.
I drained it and measured the amount of new fluid when I refilled it and it puked it out again. Only on hard hill climbs. Ran it on flat ground and never puked fluid. I think something has gone bad in the rear gear.
DON~~~

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
diff fluid

i had the same problem. i busted a bladder after a long ride. like 35 miles non stop.i went to shop to buy bladder.and they said there was bulletin on that to run diff 1'' low on fluid.so i did that and installed catch can.no problems yet.and no leaks 1500 miles.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I just put on close to 600 miles this weekend, some very hard steep climbs for over a mile back up heavy gumbo mud trails ... but the mud was so heavy thick no way I could have seen a leak if it occurred , had all fluids serviced just before going on the trip .. lots of rain sloppy mud and then the heavy tire building mud .. slow speed down steep hills kind of buildup .. took 2 hours at the pressure washer to get it blown off. anyway I'll have to re-check if the blow out happened as I didn't do anything about it when we were posting about it before. BUT I only showed slight weep sign before even after some fast pavement use of some miles

·
Registered
733 Posts
I know I don't have the same diff exactly but I have had many problems with my seals... I called my dealer and he told me to run only 175 ml in the diffs and the problem will be solved.. so far so good, not many miles but it seems to be holding up.. the original manufacturer's recommendations I think were way off.. way too much fluid

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the vent system I have you can run the fluid to to fill hole which I have for the last year with no leaks, and we do 110 to 130 mile trail rides in the mountains with steep pulls. But this time something is not right. I think I have a bearing or something going south causing excess heat. I will pull it apart next week when I get home and see what is the problem. It is nice to hear no one else has had a rear gear problem.
DON~~~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I get home and take it apart I will post what happened to it. I am coming back to UT for two months so I don't want to have any problems.
DON~~~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear end

Well I checked out the rearend and found nothing wrong. After talking it over with my wife we agreed I did the rearend vent system after I came home last year and only tested it on the street. I put a plug in the new hole on the snout and vented it from the top like it was stock. I left the catch can in, I made and put two tubes to a bottle so I could watch what happens. I did a 30 mile run at 45 to 50 mph with the air temp over 100 deg. and there was about a half inch of fluid in the bottle. I ordered two of the Arctic Cat bladders and put a tee on top of the catch can with a bladder on each side. I now think the vent is a bad deal because of the dirt and when it overfills you have a mess. Arctic Cat is not so dumb after all. I will post sme new pictures when the bladders come in.
DON~~~

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Don

Sorry to hear about this. I didn't do the venting of the rear diff as you and others have done. I had a billet diff cover made to help strengthen the bearing support area and at the same time added an extra vent. It has work flawlessly for 1400 miles. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Well I checked out the rearend and found nothing wrong. After talking it over with my wife we agreed I did the rearend vent system after I came home last year and only tested it on the street. I put a plug in the new hole on the snout and vented it from the top like it was stock. I left the catch can in, I made and put two tubes to a bottle so I could watch what happens. I did a 30 mile run at 45 to 50 mph with the air temp over 100 deg. and there was about a half inch of fluid in the bottle. I ordered two of the Arctic Cat bladders and put a tee on top of the catch can with a bladder on each side. I now think the vent is a bad deal because of the dirt and when it overfills you have a mess. Arctic Cat is not so dumb after all. I will post sme new pictures when the bladders come in.
DON~~~

Hey Don,
Great feedback on this. I have a few questions as I have been driving my 650 with this mod for about 3000 miles. What do you mean the vent is a bad deal because of the dirt? And when it overfills? With the mod it should never see oil. My catch can has a K&N filter on top and oil has never enter it so I am confused.

Thanks
Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same mod and it did see oil, so much it went out the filter and made a big mess. Also I think dirt, or water could come in thru the filter, not sure but I never had a problem before I made the mod with the filter. I am not sure why the rearend has the oil problem but on the WildCat it only has the bladder directly on the rearend.
DON~~~

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Nice work Don. Looks like the gear lube will find it's way back down into the rear diff case the way you have done it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I need to do "a" vent mod to my Prowler. It would be nice to know which one is the best option.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here is what I ended up doing. I went back to the top vent on the rearend. I will test it next week to see how it works out.
DON~~~
Any update on how this is working for you? I'm getting ready to do my mod. Just deciding which one I'm going to do so I can order what I need.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.K. I did a 35 mile run in the heat(100 deg) at 45 to 50 mph. No oil problems at all. I also checked the temp of the rear and the front diff. The front diff didn't change temp at all when not engaged, which is good to know. The rear stayed at about 150 deg.
DON~~~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What ever you do don't put a breather in the system or you will have oil comming out of it. I am not sure it is a temp problem but maybe it forces the fluid out. I think the bladders help keep the fluid in the rearend. I checked the temp and it doesn't get that hot. (150 deg.) I also never had a problem before I did the mod. and I have done a lot of long rides over 100 miles long.
DON~~~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What ever you do don't put a breather in the system or you will have oil comming out of it. I am not sure it is a temp problem but maybe it forces the fluid out. I think the bladders help keep the fluid in the rearend. I checked the temp and it doesn't get that hot. (150 deg.) I also never had a problem before I did the mod. and I have done a lot of long rides over 100 miles long.
DON~~~
That is interesting. A lot of people have done the venting mod with great success. Not sure why yours didn't pan out like the others. I'm getting ready to do mine. My rear differential is leaking out of the front yoke. So I'll be tearing into that to replace that seal. I thought it would be a good time to do the vent mod while I was down there. Guess I may have to think about it now..... Maybe I'll have to just try the fluid level 1" low thing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts