Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has a 08 prowler xt650 sxs and can't ride it anymore..we both are up in age..I'm at 70 and she's in her early 60's..Anyway I'm not able to push the rear of the prowler down by hand at all but can front so I've decided got to be locked up valving in rear shocks...both being on social security we very limited on budget..All finding in our budget is the brand name Bronco..
Has anyone used them? How was ride compared to stock oem shocks?
Biggest issue is been 2 weeks on line trying to find them that says fits the 08 prowler xt650...Is there other models and years I can use on her ss or can someonegive me the oem part no# for criss reference or search?lot of places only tells you the oem part no#'s that there Bronco shock replaces..especially Amazon

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to Partzilla the part number for a rear shocks for an 08 650XT is 0404-115. That also happens to be the part number for an 08 700XTX which is a very common model....at least around here it was. It would appear that any aftermarket shocks that would fit a 700XTX (or 700XT) would also fit your machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for replying to my post D Clay..Seen that Bronco has rear shocks for the 700 so it probably ride better then?What about undoing the sway bar?what would that do as to driving it and ride?We don't ride very fast and only on paved roads just few blocks to get to trails..

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe the stock shocks are made by Gabriel. I replaced mine with AC parts from Country Cat. It can be difficult to compress your Springs without the proper tools when replacing (I used 2 Ratchet Straps)
The Sway Bar helps keep the Vehicle from rolling in corners. You say you drive it on pavement, i would leave it connected.
The guys that disconnect them are usually doing technical off Roading. It gives them alot more articulation. At your age (no offense) it is safer to leave it on. Just my opinion.
Also, if your shocks aren't leaking Oil, they're probably fine, you can adjust the stiffness by turning the adjuster on the shock. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank nv hunter..I found adjusters on front shocks and put them down to next to softest setting last summer when I was trying to get sxs to ride softer..can't remember for sure but I'm thinking there was no adjusters on rear..but I don't remember..I will look again in morning to see if there is adjusters or not.i know I can push front end down by hand but not able to do rear..I jacked rear end up in middle and rear control arms only drop 2 to 3 inches max..when I drop jack control arms only move up couple inches is all...the back doesn't look to be saging..if anything rear is maybe little higher then front

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think the rear has adjusters. If I recall, they're just coils over shocks in a fixed setting. It seems odd that you can't push them down at all. If you bought it used maybe a previous owner put aftermarket heavier coils on it for some reason...hauling firewood, gravel, etc.
And I wouldn't advise running without the rear sway bar. If affects stability a great deal and wouldn't do much, if anything, for your ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought it used...Can't afford to do it but if it help the ride then guess I'll go ahead and buy the new bronco shocks..Guess good thing is they are adjustable and are gas shocks..Couldn't find anyone say they had them for my 08 prowler 650xt but another member said he looked up the stock replacement shock for mine and it was same part no# as one for the 08 prowler 700xt so guessing I'd can buy that shock for mine then..

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was me who looked up the part. I just took another look to be sure and it appears that everything from an 06 650 to a 2011 700sXTX use OEM part number 0404-115 as the standard rear shock.
Just curious...What air pressure are you running in the rear and are they basic UTV tires or DOT tires for highway use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has a 08 prowler xt650 sxs and can't ride it anymore..we both are up in age..I'm at 70 and she's in her early 60's..Anyway I'm not able to push the rear of the prowler down by hand at all but can front so I've decided got to be locked up valving in rear shocks...both being on social security we very limited on budget..All finding in our budget is the brand name Bronco..
Has anyone used them? How was ride compared to stock oem shocks?
Biggest issue is been 2 weeks on line trying to find them that says fits the 08 prowler xt650...Is there other models and years I can use on her ss or can someonegive me the oem part no# for criss reference or search?lot of places only tells you the oem part no#'s that there Bronco shock replaces..especially Amazon
Sorry, but this isnt about this. I have looked through the threads and cannot find what I am looking for. Is there a aftermarket website that will sell windshields/tops for a 2020 Prowler Pro? after market is hard to find for this maching.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was me who looked up the part. I just took another look to be sure and it appears that everything from an 06 650 to a 2011 700sXTX use OEM part number 0404-115 as the standard rear shock.
Just curious...What air pressure are you running in the rear and are they basic UTV tires or DOT tires for highway use?
Haven't check air pressure or remember if DOT or not..it rode same with old tires and bought new tires from Les Swrab Tires and they mounted them so never checked air pressure on new tires assuming tire store put correct air in them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haven't check air pressure or remember if DOT or not..it rode same with old tires and bought new tires from Les Swrab Tires and they mounted them so never checked air pressure on new tires assuming tire store put correct air in them
Air pressure in tires does make a difference but the rear shock springs are the issue (I suspect) as mine collapsed to a point there was little spring rate left so I replaced with new springs and it made a huge difference but still rode a bit rough. Made the leap to King shocks during a restoration rebuild of suspension and WOW the world changed from crawling over rough roots and rocks in low range to high range at double or triple speeds with better ride, changed my world with a bad back. I have a full set of 2010 stock shocks with new rear springs for sale at a bargain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
His problem doesn't sound like springs that have lost tension. He's saying the ride is too stiff.
Different people have different preferences for tire pressure based on their individual use. I mostly ride roads and light trails and use 12-15# in the rear tires....usually closer to 12. Some people run as low as 6-8. Wouldn't hurt to check and maybe experiment a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for stepping up trying to help me..I went ahead and ordered the bronco shocks for a 08 700xt..they have adjustable spring load so hopping I can adjust to softer ride..plus I looked at my shocks closer and does look little oily around shafts like they are leaking..I'm going check air pressure tomorrow to see what air pressure is at..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts