Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to repair my rear cage (well at least one of my novice welder buddies will be). Previous owner made the mistake and cut the feet off that mount in the bed. So I'm looking to have extensions welded on. Right now, the current feet are not cut square at the bottom. So I had some questions for you welders out there.

1. Should I take the cage off, try and cut the feet square, and just butt up new pieces to existing and have welded? Will that work, or do I need like a small inner sleeve to slide into both pieces at the joint? What would your typical welder do?

2. A friend brought up the idea of taking tubing and necking it up to slide over the existing 1 3/4" OD tube feet and then welding the two together (no worry if existing feet are square at bottom). What are your thoughts on this? Would matching 1 3/4" OD tubing work to stretch it out to fit over existing? If I go this route, I'll have to go to a machine shop to have them stretch the tubing as I don't have the equipment for that.

I have posted a picture of what I'm trying to repair.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'd opt for the inner sleeve, add the 10" piece with the base welded on. With the inner sleeve you could bolt them together. My self I'd plug weld it, and then finish weld the seam between the 2 parts. Keep in mind that I tend to over kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd opt for the inner sleeve, add the 10" piece with the base welded on. With the inner sleeve you could bolt them together. My self I'd plug weld it, and then finish weld the seam between the 2 parts. Keep in mind that I tend to over kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
What do you mean by plug weld it RD (are you talking about welding the inner sleeve in)? If I go the inner sleeve route, should I still try and have both pieces as square as possible or not a big deal (weld will fill in any gaps)? I'm looking to avoid any bolting together. Really looking for a complete weld repair.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I think the correct term is rosette weld, but I drill 3/8" holes in the outer tube, then slip the inner tube in and using a high setting on my wire feed I weld through the holes. The ends are much better squared to each other, as it makes for a better fit, and finish.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i think the correct term is rosette weld, but i drill 3/8" holes in the outer tube, then slip the inner tube in and using a high setting on my wire feed i weld through the holes. The ends are much better squared to each other, as it makes for a better fit, and finish.
x2 on rd's idea.:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I'm going to repair my rear cage (well at least one of my novice welder buddies will be). Previous owner made the mistake and cut the feet off that mount in the bed. So I'm looking to have extensions welded on. Right now, the current feet are not cut square at the bottom. So I had some questions for you welders out there.

1. Should I take the cage off, try and cut the feet square, and just butt up new pieces to existing and have welded? Will that work, or do I need like a small inner sleeve to slide into both pieces at the joint? What would your typical welder do?

2. A friend brought up the idea of taking tubing and necking it up to slide over the existing 1 3/4" OD tube feet and then welding the two together (no worry if existing feet are square at bottom). What are your thoughts on this? Would matching 1 3/4" OD tubing work to stretch it out to fit over existing? If I go this route, I'll have to go to a machine shop to have them stretch the tubing as I don't have the equipment for that.

I have posted a picture of what I'm trying to repair.
I like that cage Shane.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
X3 on RD's suggestion .. strongest and will allow a better weld , but I would also grind both sides of the tube with an angle grind [replacement and existing stub] to give you a V in the pipe to weld and filler then you have the best possible strength and alignment.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into doing it with the sleeve. Now just have to track down some metal tubing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys, one last question. The bottom of the feet will be threaded so I can install a bolt from underneath the bed into the feet of the cage. Should I just get a bottom plate thick enough to drill and tap some threads in it, or should I get a piece of metal and weld a nut on the inside to thread a bolt through? What would be the better method?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
the bed your attaching to is plastic right ???

the larger foot you give it the better the support , and a sandwich plated above and below would be the way I'd do it , spread it as much as I could do it reasonably 4x4 at bare minimum 6x6 better

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
From your picture, it looks like the tube will come down on top of the existing plate. It looks like you are securing to a bed crossmember on the bottom of the bed. If that is the case sandwichibg the bed plastic may crack it, I'd weld the bolt to the existing plate, then weld the tube to the plate. Short of welding to a main framerail/structure it is what it is. Sandwiching the plastic will help, but will not add any additional major strength.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts