Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Prowler XTZ Baja rear springs measured 9" with the weight of the machine on them and the load adjusters screwed down to maximum. The advertised height was about 13". Based on the recommendations, and procedural assistance, of the forum members GTroyer (Gary) and mlh1962 (Mike) [Thank you], I purchased a pair of QA1 14HT350 springs. When I disassembled the shocks, the OEM springs free length was 14.75". The new QA1 springs free length measured 14". I backed off the adjusters to the top, then screwed them down to point of just holding the new springs in place, this was about 3/4" down from the top. I reinstalled the shocks and drove the machine around my fields at 20 mph. I then measured the height of the bed to the ground. I gained 2.75" in height, making the machine sit very close to the advertised height, without adding pre-load tension using the adjusters. I did not feel any harshness in the ride quality. I am happy with the outcome.

Here is a link to the photos I took. The 1st photo is the "before" photo. The last photo is the "after" photo.

Arctic Cat XTZ Rear Shock Spring Replacement by Terry Fiene | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Nice slide show, your shocks are a LOT different than mine!

One the ground clearance my '07 650 right now with the preload at the softest setting has 10.5" on the rear, advertised clearance for my is 12.5" and I believe that's with the preload at the middle setting.

But take into consideration tires, stock tires are 26", my replacement were supposed to be 26" but measured 25" so I lost a 1/2" there (split the diameter), when new the tread was 1-1/8" and I'm down to about an 1/8 now so there goes another 1" (that's actual tread lost below the axle). When I crank the preload to the stiffest setting I think I gained about an 1" to 1.5" so with new tires I wouldn't be far off from the advertised clearance. Does it sound like I figured that right?

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I'm gonna order some today. Put those on the front and move the Highlifters to the rear. I looked at my rears last night with the preload in the middle slot and they are squished to 8 1/2 loaded and the lower 5 convolutions are touching, so they are shot, too.
Thanks for the pics Terry! They turned out great!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna order some today. Put those on the front and move the Highlifters to the rear. I looked at my rears last night with the preload in the middle slot and they are squished to 8 1/2 loaded and the lower 5 convolutions are touching, so they are shot, too.
Thanks for the pics Terry! They turned out great!

Thanks, Bryan.

Before you order, please check to see that the springs are correct for your application. As Mike noted, in his post right above yours, that the 650 shocks are very different from the XTZ 1000's.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice slide show, your shocks are a LOT different than mine!

One the ground clearance my '07 650 right now with the preload at the softest setting has 10.5" on the rear, advertised clearance for my is 12.5" and I believe that's with the preload at the middle setting.

But take into consideration tires, stock tires are 26", my replacement were supposed to be 26" but measured 25" so I lost a 1/2" there (split the diameter), when new the tread was 1-1/8" and I'm down to about an 1/8 now so there goes another 1" (that's actual tread lost below the axle). When I crank the preload to the stiffest setting I think I gained about an 1" to 1.5" so with new tires I wouldn't be far off from the advertised clearance. Does it sound like I figured that right?
I think you are correct about the clearance
-HOWEVER -
My most real concern was getting full use of the shock travel. With the spring height at 9", I was only getting about 75% of the actual available travel of the shock. With the new springs, I get about 95% of the available shock travel. I am not sure I explained this well, but I want the shock to be used to it's maximum capability, not just to gain ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Makes complete sense, if the spring is already compressed it can't allow much travel. Getting the lift, adding load capacity and retaining full travel makes more sense than just adding preload and loosing shock travel. Can't say I've put much thought into that until now :eek:
Every now and then a slap to the back of the head will get my gears turning again:nerd:

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Same here! LOL Great point on shock travel!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I measured my old front stockers and they are the same. So I ordered the QA1'S today. Also got a new oil filter so I buzzed in at 99.49 and got the free shipping. Parts should be here Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Let the games begin!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
As always RD... You guys love spending my $$$...

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Just trying to help! Been on several interesting rides lately! One was put on by the Side By Side Nation folks, pretty good turnout, and we had about 40 machines in our ride. Dust was very heavy! Been hitting a lot of the National Forest in our area, and have found some cool spots! Thinking about a trip to the dunes as it is about 60 miles from our house, plus we want to explore some of the smaller lakeside communities! I hear that you can get plates out of S.D. online, and other states will recognize them as legal. Not sure just thought I'd throw that out there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts