Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why I can't buy just the axel end to my right front axel? It only shows an entire axle on the parts diagram. Anyone have one used? Maybe wrecked the outside end and have a good inside end?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is a challenge! I'll check my friends repair shop, guessing the ATV's would have the same inner joint. When I priced CV joints, they were almost as much as a complete axle. Try this link: 2008 08 Arctic Cat 650 Prowler XT ATV 4x4 Inner Front Left CV Joint and Boot Kit | eBay
Yes sir! That's what I'm looking for. Don't even need the bearing, just the outside hub needed. Calling around today.
I ordered a new shaft, one of those cheep Chinese nock offs and it was to short so I sent it back. The shaft was 69.00 to my door, cost me 16.00 plus 6.90 to restock it. Then the other shaft popped out again. The end of my old shaft is rounded off some or tapered and won't hold the clip tight, so I could have robbed the end off the new shaft and been back in business! MY LUCK!!!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I noticed you had Summers Brothers Axles? Did you try them? Got me curious, so I'm going to look at their site!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed you had Summers Brothers Axles? Did you try them? Got me curious, so I'm going to look at their site!
Summers Bro's fits the stock ends on their axles. Ordered the hub from power masters power sports out of Waukegan IL.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Adding them to my favorites!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I have a noisy left rear. I replaced the right rear last spring. I'm thinking about just removing the boots and repacking both CV's on the old axle. We used to do that all the time to the old K body Chryslers when they got noisy and that would keep them quiet for years. Just need to get grease and some clamps. I think they take 40oz of grease, each. Another project. Crap! The wife's gonna divorce my ass!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
AC widows do get testy! LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a noisy left rear. I replaced the right rear last spring. I'm thinking about just removing the boots and repacking both CV's on the old axle. We used to do that all the time to the old K body Chryslers when they got noisy and that would keep them quiet for years. Just need to get grease and some clamps. I think they take 40oz of grease, each. Another project. Crap! The wife's gonna divorce my ass!
Easy to do Bryan! I'm getting to be like a nascar pit crew guy pulling mine apart! Got my new axle end on today. I can see why it was popping off. End of the shaft had a taper to it. Will test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy to do Bryan! Got my new axle end installed today. Will test it tomorrow. I can see why it was popping out after looking the new axle over. The old axle end was worn out
FYI...........the axle ends are different in some ways as you can see but I think fully functional! The new end is for the 650 but still fits. Taper is a little different and a spline in the bearing race area that has no effect. I HOPE :)

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Bryan..........maybe check your outside wheel bearings too! I found my right rear was totally shot when I went to install my tracks! This transfers a bunch of noise through the drive train and into the cab. My machine is much quieter now. :) oh and 40 oz of grease? I think maybe more like 4 oz per cv.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Still looking at wheel bearing kits, I bought a set of Boss Bearings, so far so good. There is a kit that has seals and bearings but can't remember the name! CRS!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Still looking at wheel bearing kits, I bought a set of Boss Bearings, so far so good. There is a kit that has seals and bearings but can't remember the name! CRS!
Guy's....... check out MOTOR MASTER POWER SPORTS out of Waukegan Il. 815-967-1444....... They will go out of their way to get you top quality parts fast and at a reasonable rate. I don't think they handle overseas products. Axles are done in house if I understood correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Good thought on checking the bearings. I just ordered a set of Kevlar brake pads from Amazon. The does all 3 calipers, for $14.00. When I put the big tires on, I'm gonna swap out the pads and I may pop out the axles and check those bearings. RD and I were talking about them last fall when was getting a clunking sound out of my left front suspension. I may just get all 4 and be done with it. I'm about $10 grand into it, now. (with buying it) whats another $100? 4 oz of grease in the joint is probably right, I think I read 40 grams instead of oz. I'll have to check the manual again. I hate the metric system!
Hey, thats a good place to buy my grease and clamps from! Those prices are better than Napa's! I'll have to check on shipping. Perfect, thanks Butch!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good thought on checking the bearings. I just ordered a set of Kevlar brake pads from Amazon. The does all 3 calipers, for $14.00. When I put the big tires on, I'm gonna swap out the pads and I may pop out the axles and check those bearings. RD and I were talking about them last fall when was getting a clunking sound out of my left front suspension. I may just get all 4 and be done with it. I'm about $10 grand into it, now. (with buying it) whats another $100? 4 oz of grease in the joint is probably right, I think I read 40 grams instead of oz. I'll have to check the manual again. I hate the metric system!
Hey, thats a good place to buy my grease and clamps from! Those prices are better than Napa's! I'll have to check on shipping. Perfect, thanks Butch!
Bryan.........order the bearings before you tear it down. The inner race will stick on the shaft when you pop the hub off and kill the bearing :)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Bryan.........order the bearings before you tear it down. The inner race will stick on the shaft when you pop the hub off and kill the bearing :)
Will do! I'll just change all 4 out. With almost 2000 miles and a few dunkings into the river, I'm sure it could use them.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do! I'll just change all 4 out. With almost 2000 miles and a few dunkings into the river, I'm sure it could use them.
Got my A$$ wet a few times when it gets deeper than you realize! Always gets the misses attention >:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Factory bearings have a dust cover, but little else! I suppose the grease in them might keep the water at bay, but rather doubt it! Deepest water I have been in is about 12"! Most of the river/streams I encounter are very shallow! Can't believe they call some of them rivers!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I have only good news this afternoon! My wife and I took the beast up on the power line and gave her a good work out in the snow and the axle STAYED IN! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Good, glad to hear she is fixed!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts