Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developed a loud knock in my engine, still have a lot of compression when turning over. Starts fine, just very loud knock internal to the engine. Suspect a rod bearing gone out. I'm not going to replace the engine, as I think replacing the crank and rod is something I can do at home. Does anyone know if the crank and rod is something they rebuild! I can get a new assembly for 595.00 out of Country Cat. Side note: They list the same crank and rod for the 650's. Any thoughts, or things I need to watch out for? Thanks

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
could the timing be wrong since you have pulled down the motor/worked in the area ?? seen that happen and be a simple re-time job to cure the "knock"

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to check that later, but it is a good thought! Thanks Gary

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Developed a loud knock in my engine, still have a lot of compression when turning over. Starts fine, just very loud knock internal to the engine. Suspect a rod bearing gone out. I'm not going to replace the engine, as I think replacing the crank and rod is something I can do at home. Does anyone know if the crank and rod is something they rebuild! I can get a new assembly for 595.00 out of Country Cat. Side note: They list the same crank and rod for the 650's. Any thoughts, or things I need to watch out for? Thanks
not a good sign,hope its something simple........

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
just wondering if your head work and big bore kit made the bottom end weak.........your bottom end does have a lot of miles on it.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
the 650 does have the same crank as the 700,the 700 just has a bigger bore.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I detected a knock last fall, but with all of the stuff I wear in the winter, I can't hear anything. My buddy has the tools to split the case, going to take the cylinder off in the morning, I turn it over by hand and it does feel like rough spots, so I'm thinking the rod bearing let go!

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
that really sucks rd ,,,,,hope its a simple fix

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the bottom end is gone! I had my second case going together anyway, so I might just as well put the crank and rod in and start swapping parts! Looking back I had some tell tale signs! Could have been worse, could have busted the case, or lost my big bore cylinder!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I'm pretty sure the bottom end is gone! I had my second case going together anyway, so I might just as well put the crank and rod in and start swapping parts! Looking back I had some tell tale signs! Could have been worse, could have busted the case, or lost my big bore cylinder!
what sign's did you have,that made you think there was something wrong.............do you have another crank assembly.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
High oil temps, and very slow turning over. I just thought it was the increased compression ratio. Ran great, until the other day! I have to pick up a crank kit, my friend is looking for a re-man unit, but if not I'll go direct to AC

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
High oil temps, and very slow turning over. I just thought it was the increased compression ratio. Ran great, until the other day! I have to pick up a crank kit, my friend is looking for a re-man unit, but if not I'll go direct to AC
when it started knocking did it still run good

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good luck on your crank. Hope everything works out.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It ran very good! Just could not believe the racket it was making! Still had 70 PSI of oil pressure! I shut it off before it broke a rod, or punctured the case! Last time I had one like this in my was in my 421 Pontiac, and when it broke it tried to cut the block in half!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tearing down now, head is good, piston does not appear to have any damage, I have my spare case cleaned and plan on just swapping each item to the new case as I go, this should help me keep track of everything! Did not find any re-manufactured cranks out there! I'll start the pictures on Monday! Really not that bad of a job all considering! Going to break down each assembly as I go, bearings in spare case seem OK, but for 100.00 dollars I can replace them all. No sense taking any chance! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions, but for now I have a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Tearing down now, head is good, piston does not appear to have any damage, I have my spare case cleaned and plan on just swapping each item to the new case as I go, this should help me keep track of everything! Did not find any re-manufactured cranks out there! I'll start the pictures on Monday! Really not that bad of a job all considering! Going to break down each assembly as I go, bearings in spare case seem OK, but for 100.00 dollars I can replace them all. No sense taking any chance! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions, but for now I have a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
With my lack of patients and some of tools needed when I had some major issues I took the easy (and more expensive) route and went with a new engine. Been running great, maybe someday I'll invest in some better air tools;) Now I just have to decide about pulling the one way bearing:confused:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I moved to Reed City I invested in air tools, got a great deal on a large air compressor and equipped my shop with air tools. Spent most yesterday cleaning off my work benches, they seem to collect everything! Yard work today, or fight with mama! LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
do the yard work .. that way you can win , we all know fighting Momma is a loosing battle LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
When I moved to Reed City I invested in air tools, got a great deal on a large air compressor and equipped my shop with air tools. Spent most yesterday cleaning off my work benches, they seem to collect everything! Yard work today, or fight with mama! LOL
I just have a small 2 hp/135 psi Porter-Cable compressor works good for just about everything I need but it's not going to spin off the clutch nuts. Got most of my yard work done yesterday.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts