Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and know a fix. When restarting my cat after engine is warm it back fires and sputters under low idle speeds. If you put the hammer down it takes off and runs fine. Then you can slow down and run at low speeds again with no problems. Almost like it is loading up when started. I have changed jets, needle, float,put a new gasket on exhaust header, changed plug. Still same issue. Any help would be appreciated. It does not do this when engine is cold.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and know a fix. When restarting my cat after engine is warm it back fires and sputters under low idle speeds. If you put the hammer down it takes off and runs fine. Then you can slow down and run at low speeds again with no problems. Almost like it is loading up when started. I have changed jets, needle, float,put a new gasket on exhaust header, changed plug. Still same issue. Any help would be appreciated. It does not do this when engine is cold.
Did the problem coincide with any of your mods? Checked your plug color after jetting? Have you adjusted your valves? Also check your plugwire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem did not start after any mods. Seemed to start after routine maintenance. Repacked exhaust. Checked plug before rejetting and it was black.(rich) checked after and it's a lot cleaner. Have not adjusted the valves in a while. Around 400 miles or so. Plug wire looks o.k. no signs of wear. Only have 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked plug after riding for a while. Also I do Smell gas sometimes when it was acting up. I am at around 600-1000 feet above sea level. Have not installed a fuel filter. It almost seems like the choke is stuck???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did forget to mention that sometimes it is hard to start sometimes after riding a couple trails and then taking a quick break. It will crank but not start usually have to pump the pedal a couple times.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Pumping the pedal is doing no good other that giving it a lot of air. The accelerator pump on the stock 650 carb is not functional. It is there but there is no linkage to make it work. With it starting by you pumping it tells me it is flooded from the choke or float sticking. So when you pump it it gets alot of air to light off the over rich mixture.
I did forget to mention that sometimes it is hard to start sometimes after riding a couple trails and then taking a quick break. It will crank but not start usually have to pump the pedal a couple times.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had my dealer replace the float and clean the carb. I was leaning toward the electric choke. possibly getting stuck or something. I will install a fuel filter this week to help in the future as I like to play in the deep water and mud. Should I adjust the valves just bin case...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I would defiantly check the valve adjustment. However if the valves are off and causing these things it would not come and go. Valve adjustment is not a intermittent problem in other words. I personally think you are on the right track with carburation as your focus. My first guess is gonna be to check the choke for sticking. My second is to double check the carb passages especially the idle ones for crap that can only be blown out with a compressor. Not knocking on your mechanic here but his idea of cleaning your carb out and yours might not be the same. What kind of air filter are you running?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am running the stock filter. Just replaced it. I will pull the carb and clean it. And pro ably just swap the electric choke for a known good one to check. I will keep you posted as to what actually fixes the problem. Thanks for all the input. And if anymore ideas comevto mind please let me know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
mine acted the same, ended up being low speed jet, and air mixture screw, they work together. After I put a snorkel kit on, I played hell rejetting for 5000' Elevation. Runs great now. 2 new jets, spacer on my needle and play with the air mixture screw. (C type Screwdriver)

·
Registered
238 Posts
also, replace all fuel lines if you haven 't. They get old and crack. Too small to see gas evaporating, but enough to let air in. I also took the factory fuel filter out of my tank, and installed an inline one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts