Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 XTX and it is rusting all over. The frame, a arms, bumper, role cage, side panels, etc. I can't believe this is happening. Is this normal. I have never seen such a poor paint job. I don't have big spots but there are little places all over. What do I do??:confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was just thinking of how hard would it be to remove all the rust pits, then touch up paint, then coat frame with either wd 40, or sun of a gun tire shine. I know a few people who do that to thier bikes after they clean them, they say cleaning only requires a hose, no scrubbing..
I know it sound like some pretty tedious work, but if you like the maching thats what i would do..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Is it just rust where the paint has scratched off?

How deep is the rust?

Is it just superficial?

Bare metal will rust but it will take a extremely long time to lose any strength.

Maybe post some pic's to help us understand what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Heres what will work, buy a product called Ospho. It is a rust remover and metal conditioner and came be found at home depot. Clean the dirt off the metal and put the ospho on the rusty areas. After it is dry you can spray paint with rustoleum or roll bedliner paint on. Rust Gone.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
suggest you look up a product called POR 15 , it's a paint that seals rust and ceases the rusting process and paints at the same time .. lil pricey but works great and they have many colors .. do a google on it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why?

I guess I am wondering why this is happening. I will post some pics so everyone understands what I am dealing with. I have many areas that have not been scratched but are rusting. I don't think I should have to paint a machine that I have 12k into after a year and a half. Am I the only one? I am thinking of selling it and moving to a Polaris. Thoughts?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Why sell it?

i guess i am wondering why this is happening. I will post some pics so everyone understands what i am dealing with. I have many areas that have not been scratched but are rusting. I don't think i should have to paint a machine that i have 12k into after a year and a half. Am i the only one? I am thinking of selling it and moving to a polaris. Thoughts?
it would seem to make sense that everytime one of these vehs gets drivin rosks and such are going to bounce up and chip the paint,it is afterall an offroad veh.i dont think you will own it long enuf to see a frame failure due to rust.i also dont think that you will have any better luck with this situation with any other brand.there is so much"im selling this piece of ****" on this forum thats its actually unbelieveable.i mean you could buy a kawasaki that you cant keep a belt on(been there), or a polaris rzr that everytime you jump it and land with the power on that the rear diff housing gets a hole knocked in it by the hitch,or the oil pump goes out,followed closely by the connecting rods,or the sprague cage in frt diff breaks or the hubs fail to lock in.or you could buy a rhino,they dont break quite as often because they dont have enuf power to break.seriously people,ride the hell out of it,and fix it when it breaks or sell it and buy a lazy boy!!!!!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
well its made in america dude, what do you expect? (where's Joe?:D)

there is a product you can order off the internet called Por-15,

its a rust binding paint that goes on thick with a brush, that comes out shiny and new looking like it was spray painted. Its used alot for restoring cars and i have used it many times with great success..The chemical in the paint binds and stops rust advancement... if thats possible , but like i have said i have used it and its great stuff...:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Confused and annoyed

Thinking out loud, wonder how hard it would be to pull the dash, floor and cage off and have them all done with line X. I have two rust bubbles on the side panel by the gas filler. If I line x it it should be done for good. Thoughts? I think I finally got all the bugs out of the machine. I had my fair share, but its been on two rides in a row, been run very hard and not had any issues. I guess I have mixed feelings on selling it, on one hand I don't want to have a under 2 year old vehicle that I have 12k invested in it with rust problems I know its a off road vehicle but what will it look like when its the age of my 9 year old Polaris? I know I will take a beating selling it. Whats the lessor of the two evils?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rust Pics

Just took some pictures of it. Just pisses me off to see a machine made this poorly. It is dirty in the pics, it was rode yesterday late last night and I didn't wash it. Normally its never this dirty. Thoughts? I am thinking it needs to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
well its made in america dude, what do you expect? (where's Joe?:D)

there is a product you can order off the internet called Por-15,

its a rust binding paint that goes on thick with a brush, that comes out shiny and new looking like it was spray painted. Its used alot for restoring cars and i have used it many times with great success..The chemical in the paint binds and stops rust advancement... if thats possible , but like i have said i have used it and its great stuff...:)
Im here, I too am sick and tired of the CRY BABIES! I will still Buy AMERICAN even if it is NOT Perfect, As I said before SELL YOUR PROWLER IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH IT! CRY TO YOUR WIFE AND MAYBE SHE WILL BUY YOU A MADE IN MEXICO POLARIS! Then you can go and Cry on a Polaris website.

·
Registered
59 Posts
here in the deep south we just cover everything with mud, no rust problems and if you apply enough of the correct type it can get so thick it adds structural integrity. seriously though that is not enough rust to worry about no harm has been done.
tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im here, i too am sick and tired of the cry babies! I will still buy american even if it is not perfect, as i said before sell your prowler if your not happy with it! Cry to your wife and maybe she will buy you a made in mexico polaris! Then you can go and cry on a polaris website.
cry baby? Whats up you ass?!?!?!? I have a real issue with a product and you just want to ***** about someone being a cry baby? Sorry if it bothers you (not really) but this is a prowler forum so i thought this was the place to post it. Everyone else has had a very different attitude than your childish bullshit. I am not crying just concerned, but i could give you something to cry about buddy. Please keep your negative attitude in you single wide trailer where it belongs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here in the deep south we just cover everything with mud, no rust problems and if you apply enough of the correct type it can get so thick it adds structural integrity. seriously though that is not enough rust to worry about no harm has been done.
tim
Tim,

So you think that's normal? I am not worried about the frame being weaker just how much worse will it get? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Line-X it! Your problem could be chipped paint and then salt and snow.
I was thinking if I did that, I would do the role cage, and the metal on the sides. I guess all the metal from the floor boards up. Wonder how much that would cost? I have line x in my truck and it is great stuff. Might even make the cage stronger.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts