Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my buddy and i were/are going to lower the seat in our xtz`s.we wer eyeballing the situation lasnite and noticed the rear cyl head is in the way,wtf? How are you guys getting around this?just crowding the left seat to the cage side and going for it? Just looking for some insight since alotta you guys with xtz`s have done it.we thought the exh side was gunna be the issue until we got the eng back in and seen the rear cyl was the bigger deal.

·
Registered
861 Posts
leave the main bar across the rear (lower bed support /frame brace), then cut them near the seat and weld vertical tube from the seat tray to the bar across the back of the cylinder..i think i have a few pix..split

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leave the main bar across the rear (lower bed support /frame brace), then cut them near the seat and weld vertical tube from the seat tray to the bar across the back of the cylinder..i think i have a few pix..split
ya i got all that,i was wondering about the clearance on side of cyl head,you just cramming the seat tray down against the side of the head and calling it good?or just moving everything toward the side to gain some clearance?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey Don, what seats are you using, I found that only certain seats really fit okay. The Beard Super TZs and a couple others fit good, but most seats are 22 inches or wider, they have a hard time fitting.

When I first lowered my seats, I made a heat shield to go between my seat and the head out of 16 gauge sheet metal. It seemed to work good.
I like the way Flying 121's Prowler is, he widened the entire cage area down to the floor by adding a 2x2 inch square tube to the OEM floorside.

You will be so glad after you lower the seats, it really improves the handling and makes it more fun to sling around corners...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey darryl i was just fixn to bother you! I got race trim seats,should be here today,they are "sposibly" 1/2-1 in wider then the arctic cat accy seats.will know about the fit when i get them.so i was gunna ask how much you lowered yours? Also i was noticing that there is room to lower the eng an in or so,do you know of anyone that has done it?with ujoints in both drivelines i dont see where there should be any problems.as long as you protect the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Here's what mine looked like after the first lowering...

tight squeeze...

end result...

you can see the comparison to a stock XTZ. Notice the increased ground clearance, yet overall height is still shorter than stock...

even have room for 6'4" guys...

even fits heightwise on trails better like the RZR..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey darryl i was just fixn to bother you! I got race trim seats,should be here today,they are "sposibly" 1/2-1 in wider then the arctic cat accy seats.will know about the fit when i get them.so i was gunna ask how much you lowered yours? Also i was noticing that there is room to lower the eng an in or so,do you know of anyone that has done it?with ujoints in both drivelines i dont see where there should be any problems.as long as you protect the bottom of the case.

I looked at lowering the engine an inch as well back when I started my build but honestly there is no reason to unless you were going all out with a complete frame up build that inch or so is not going to really make a difference.
My cage is very low to the point that I am 6'00" and the top of my car only reaches the bottom of my chin. When you lower your seats far enough and bring the cage down that is were you will see true gains.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey Don,
I looked at lowering the engine when I built the race car, but decided against it just for the shear added work. Plus, if I happen to case it hard, I keep a bit of distance between the skid plate and engine. But otherwise, don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
But seriously, look at flying121's setup, that is the best way to do it.
Hope some of the photos give you an idea of what it'll end up like..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hey Don,
I looked at lowering the engine when I built the race car, but decided against it just for the shear added work. Plus, if I happen to case it hard, I keep a bit of distance between the skid plate and engine. But otherwise, don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
But seriously, look at flying121's setup, that is the best way to do it.
Hope some of the photos give you an idea of what it'll end up like..
Darryl

Thanks for the compliments. I wish my dang XTZ would be finished already. It seems like I am always doing something to it. lol:D

The end of October should bring some closure to my project as I will be 98% completed. After a few test runs in the beginning of November and some dyno work by Tim Kelly at Xact dyno in Tempe Arizona I should be ready to disassemble the entire car for powder coating and then paint. After that I will rebuild and wire and finally enjoy it until the motor breaks or something else I'm sure.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Darryl

Thanks for the compliments. I wish my dang XTZ would be finished already. It seems like I am always doing something to it. lol:D

The end of October should bring some closure to my project as I will be 98% completed. After a few test runs in the beginning of November and some dyno work by Tim Kelly at Xact dyno in Tempe Arizona I should be ready to disassemble the entire car for powder coating and then paint. After that I will rebuild and wire and finally enjoy it until the motor breaks or something else I'm sure.:D
Single biggest thing you can do to improve the project is that pic right there... I've looked at just about every seat lowering project out there and this one makes the most sense. Why try to squeeze the seats into such a narrow area. The only time this won't work is if you are racing BITD, SNORE or any other sanctioning body that requires the frame width to be OEM.

I am so looking forward to seeing Todd's car run, it'll be awesome.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Single biggest thing you can do to improve the project is that pic right there... I've looked at just about every seat lowering project out there and this one makes the most sense. Why try to squeeze the seats into such a narrow area. The only time this won't work is if you are racing BITD, SNORE or any other sanctioning body that requires the frame width to be OEM.

I am so looking forward to seeing Todd's car run, it'll be awesome.
That makes two of us!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya i was worried about caseing it also,but with only 2 bolts holding it in its not much work.was just trying to gain some clearance for the seat lowering.how much did you lower yours.looks like it hard to find more then about 3in with the head on the left and exh on the right.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Darryl

Ya i was worried about caseing it also,but with only 2 bolts holding it in its not much work.was just trying to gain some clearance for the seat lowering.how much did you lower yours.looks like it hard to find more then about 3in with the head on the left and exh on the right.
3 inches is easy, 4 is hard, but if you do like Todd did in the photos, it's easy. By the way Todd, disregard on the post more pics, didn't see your second set of photos right away.
I lowered mine almost 4 inches, but then when I mounted my seats, it gained an inch back because of the way suspension seats have to be mounted.
It is a close fit for sure...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Now that is funny, I hit "Quote" on Don's post and it quoted his AND Todd's posts both... hmmmm, maybe the system want's me to reply to you Todd...twilight zone...:eek:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Mine is 4" lower as well. The problem is near the stock fuel tank. There are some mods that need to be done to make your fuel service / fill work.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanx guys.looks like you just gotta stuff it,or as i like to say,spit on it,it`l go:d. Was just kinda intrested in other peoples trial n errors.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I lowered mine a full 4" with RZR seats. There was no issues on the drivers (head) side. The pass. side is tuff with dual exhaust so I made my own. I couldnt widen my whole machine or it wouldnt fit on the trails. And I would have baught a jeep.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts