Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finding it hard to shift between gears after initial selection. Seems as though the shifter is jamming somehow. I actually have to shut the machine down to shift and re-start. What am I missing here?
Thanx

·
Registered
155 Posts
either idle is too high....or the linkage needs to be adjusted, we ALL had to do it AT LEAST once.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have a 09...last time i had trouble with shifting(prowler was only 4 months old)..shifter was stuck in reverse, had to change the cable cause it had seized, used it pretty much every day, but it still seized ! might not be your problem, just throwing ideas around. i would try and adjust it first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do I adjust the linkage? Snow is gone and tracks are off so using the cat alot more and the gear changing prob is gettin on my last nerve!! lol

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
how do I adjust the linkage? Snow is gone and tracks are off so using the cat alot more and the gear changing prob is gettin on my last nerve!! lol
Sorry the pictures would not come up but here you go.

Seth

Shift Lever​
CHECKING SHIFT LEVER LINKAGE​
Set the parking brake and turn the ignition switch on;
then with the shift lever in the neutral position, look
for the (N) indication on the LCD. Shift into high
range and look for the (H) indication, low range for the
(L) indication, and reverse for the (R) indication. Shift
the transmission into neutral and turn the ignition
switch off.​
PR094​
ADJUSTING SHIFT LEVER LINKAGE​
To adjust the shift lever linkage, use the following procedure.
1. Set the parking brake; then remove the seats and
center console.
2. Make sure the shift lever is in neutral; then loosen
the jam nut on the linkage.
3. Remove the E-clip on the transmission shift arm;
then remove the linkage from the shift arm.
Account for a washer and a bushing.​
PR461A​
4. Turn the linkage rod clockwise or counterclockwise
until the lower linkage hole aligns with the
shift arm pin.
5. Install the bushing and linkage and secure with the
washer and E-clip; then tighten the jam nut
securely. Check each gear shift position for proper
gear selection and make sure the proper icon illuminates
on the LCD.​

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive had trouble with mine as well does not seem to be an adjustment thing. When my tires are under any load (stopped in mud, breaks on on side of hill) it will not come out of the gear is in. Very frustrating when all you need to do is back up and you cant, and need 4 quads to winch you around.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Amen northern mud. That has happened to me in a mudhole. Went dead. Wouldn't start. And wouldn't for the life of me come out of gear! Took my winch, a rhino pulling on me, and a 700 polaris pulling and winching on me to get me out. My tires wouldn't roll at all. I don't understand why it won't come out of gear in that situation. Makes me so mad:mad: And by the way, i've had to adjust mine at least seven times in a year and a half. Don't understand that either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Moose, My 2010 1000 prowler is stuck in reverse, seems like you described above. I have not been able to look at anything. Do you have any ideas where I should start?? It is the leaver and the transmission that is stuck in reverse. Thank you in advance

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'd start with taking the cable off the shift are on the transmission to see if it is moves freely, that done try and shift the transmission with the shifting arm on the transmission. Cables do bind up over time. Early Prowlers used a strictly mechanical linkage to shift gears, the 700 units upgraded (?) to the cable. Good luck, and let us know the outcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
What are your engine RPM's at idle? If its idling too fast, it won't release. Your idle speed control solenoid could be the culprit. If the idle is 1400 and below, it should shift. If it's still stuck, do what RD says above. It's probably cold weather related. My 650 is the same in the winter, but its carb'ed, so its expected.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure if I am doing this right but give it a try:)

i have a 2010 1000 prowler - this fall I was pushing dirt around and WOW it got stuck in Reverse - would not shift out. So parked it until had time - today. I found that the "C" shaped bracket that holds the stick in place the drives side both bolts out - So i fixed that. NOW though as per LED it shifts into all gears fine,but in the real world H and L are fine - N slightly harder, not sure if really in N - R won't go. I can rev it up but no go even when R on LED. Could it be as simple as adjusting the cable?? If so any recommendations on the easiest and best way to do that?? I see adjustments at shifter stick but think it is only an arm on a splined shaft on the transmission. It is cold here so would rather try the already tried and worked than start adjusting only to freeze fingers.

If i posted this incorrectly please let me know - but seems similiar to the original post

Thanks again

Nancy

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Take the clip out of the plastic end of the shift linkage, where it attaches to the bracket on the splined shaft. With that linkage unhooked, twist the splined shaft by hand into reverse. If it moves freely into reverse, put the shift lever in reverse and see how close the plastic linkage matches up with the bracket on the splined shaft. You can adjust the plastic end to where it will slide onto the pin on the splined shaft. If its way out of adjustment, remove the coupling from the splined shaft, and move it on the splines, until it matches up. Then adjust the plastic end for fine adjustment.
Now if that splined shaft will NOT go into reverse freely, you may have a bent shift fork, or something wrong inside the transmission. Hope this makes sense!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'd vote on cable adjustment being the cause! Follow what Bryan suggested and you should be good. Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Bryan and RD once the weather warms up a bit so I can feel my fingers I will give it a try. Might even happen today - weather is trying. Let you know outcome

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Your experience builds our knowledge base! We are thanking you! Hope it is a minor cure!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for being so late, but all went well. I just had to adjust the shifter cable a bit and the C shaped braket holding the shifter horizontal rod in position had lost a bolt so it had moved. But it worked good enough to move snow and then putts around the farm. But now a more serious issue after I took it for what was suppose to be a long burn. Lost power and burning blue very bad. Limped it home now onto more research on this forum. Thanks you guys for all your help and help to come.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Check your plugs for any oil fouling! Replace as needed and see if the power is restored. Let us know how, or if this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check your air box for oil and your oil level?

Did the 2010's have the catch can for the oil? ON my 2012 XTZ I do but still get some oil in the air box from the breather. This would explain the blue smoke.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts