Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got to thinking. the whats your temperature thread is pretty interesting and i have found myself coming in daily to check it out and add to it when i can.

so i thought maybe id start another general thread for side stuff. we all have stuff that doesnt pertain to the issues that are running down the recent discussions but we all have other stuff. so maybe this thread will catch on and if not... oh well. so to start off here is my project for today.

i have found out that the older you get, the harder gardening gets. i finally got my rabbit fence down, got it tilled, got the fence back up, and got the tomatoes and cucumbers planted. gotta get the rest done tomorrow. it sure is not fun doing that stuff in 85 degree temps with humidity like we have had. im a swamp right now. i had the pleasure of putting in the air conditioners yesterday in the 95 degree temps. next time i will be listening to my wife and putting them in when she says to. the temps are usually around 60 then.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Why Not! LOL Cleaning the cars, prepping the trailer, and getting all of the outside chores done. I'm trying to figure out where all of the outdoor crap came from! It multiplies every year. Got my sprinkler system up and running, only had one valve freeze up during the winter! Basement is done, landscape is done, garage door replaced, time to sell!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm starting the day off with the usual pot of coffee and then heading outside to get some more work on the front porch I added. It's one of those projects that seems to be dragging out, got all the main build done last fall and now have all the slow finish work to do like railing and soffit.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Well, I just got home from work at 0500. Last night was a real dilly whopper at work. Ran my butt off in 90plus temps. Got home, slipped into the pool and just relaxed for 3 beers time. cleaned up and into bed at 0600. Now awake already and heading outside to work on some odd stuff around the house. Just worked 23 of 26 days, swapping shifts. Feeling pretty good because I have 3 days off in the row! WOO HOO!!! I may weld up some new lift kit brackets for the rear of the Prowler, if it rains and I need an inside project.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
ahhhhh there is something good to be said for RETIREMENT LOL

those days are in the rear view mirror FOR GOOD :)

Reactions: Retired1

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
ahhhhh there is something good to be said for RETIREMENT LOL

those days are in the rear view mirror FOR GOOD :)
Those days were in my rear view mirror also....then the unexpected happened! I'll be looking in that rear view mirror again in a few weeks :laugh:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I had 2 packs of coyotes still howling an hour after sunrise. I sat upstairs at my shooting window awhile, but I could not see them in the heavy fog we had here. I then did some mowing, then rested, cleaned a gun, then rested, played with the dogs a bit, then rested. Mowed again, then rested. Went to Walmart and the post office (40 mile round trip), came home and had a nap. My wife is at her niece's T-ball game (25 miles away). I am shopping online. I just bought some fire ant killer. I am almost ready for another nap, but I need to stay awake and close up the barn at dark. I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather tonight and cut up some more of the fallen tree limbs still on the ground from our last ice storm, but my wife will not let me do anything dangerous while she is gone. She is a really good cook, so I listen to her desires and try to obey. :laugh:

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant wait to see work in my rear view. well maybe i can but it sure sounds nice.
i went to collage for a semester for mechanics before deciding that wasnt what i wanted to do all my life so i feel obligated to do my own vehicle repairs from time to time.
well today was one of those times. i should have just taken it in. i have a 2001 silverado 4x4 that blew a power steering hose on the pressure side. quite the mess. well if this happens to anyone let me tell you now... take it in to have it fixed. its well worth the money. on my back for 2 hours trying to get a tube nut threaded into the back of the power steering pump that you can only touch with the tips of your fingers isnt how i wanted to spend my day. it didnt help i didnt get the right power steering hose. i had to put my tube bender to it to get the right angles or at least close to it. i have 5 hours into it (with some breaks of course) and i was done until i saw two bolts left over. now i gotta take the tire and wheel well out to get them back in. this thing is a gut job. fan shroud and all had to come out. my old hands cramp up alot easier these days and im only 44! i got my son to help out towards the end of the day. things went alot better after that.
im sure my neighbors loved to hear the air gun and air ratchet going all evening. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
My situation tonight was to begin helping my sister and law move which will continue into the weekend. On a side note, now that I have the Prowler figured out, I'd like to work on my truck for a while. Question for you guys. It's a 13 Silverado 1500 4x4 and I am wanting to lift it. Looking at the difference between the bracket lifts and uca lifts? Also trying to decide between a 4.5" and 33" tires and a 6.5" and 35" tires.

Current motor is the 5.3 L six speed with 3.42 gears.

Also wondering about towing once I lift it? Anyone with any experiences would be great.

BTW, I live in Florida so no hills, just flat ground.

Thanks and good luck on all the side work.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Spraying for ticks! Sister, and Brother-inlaw coming in tomorrow from AZ.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
cat_crazy how many do you have on your truck? I have a 2002 Silverado 4x4 ext cab with about 225,000 miles and a couple years ago I had the brake lines rust out on the drivers side where they cross the frame to the ABS unit. I replaced all the lines myself and like you that's a job I'll pay to have done next time! You might check yours, I noticed a small leak and only drove a couple miles to get it home, by the time I got there the line blew, I lost all brakes and used the E-Brake to stop.

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep. i already had that line rust out and blow. mine came apart pretty easy but i cheated. i cut the line next to the tube nuts and put a 6 point socket on it with a cheater bar. i thought the one on top of the pumpkin was going to be the worst but i didnt even need the cheater bar. the line was so brittle i couldnt believe it was working as long as it did. i probably should have replaced the pass side too but its been a year with no issues so far.
i got just over 200k on it now with only minor issues. next up is the stupid fuel gauge. it works when it wants to. those tank strap nuts will be fun to take off im sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
My situation tonight was to begin helping my sister and law move which will continue into the weekend. On a side note, now that I have the Prowler figured out, I'd like to work on my truck for a while. Question for you guys. It's a 13 Silverado 1500 4x4 and I am wanting to lift it. Looking at the difference between the bracket lifts and uca lifts? Also trying to decide between a 4.5" and 33" tires and a 6.5" and 35" tires.

Current motor is the 5.3 L six speed with 3.42 gears.

Also wondering about towing once I lift it? Anyone with any experiences would be great.

BTW, I live in Florida so no hills, just flat ground.

Thanks and good luck on all the side work.
I put a Pro Comp 4" in my 2010 Sierra. It was a 4" front lift and 2" block in the rear. I ran 34" Mickey Thompson tires on it. I also had 3:42 gears and it pulled terrible, even with a custom Diablo tune. I think the 34's dropped my gear ratio to about a 3:25. I just traded it in on a 2011 Denali 2500 Duramax and it has a Pro Comp 6" and I put 36" Nitto's on it. Its been tuned to 490 hp and 830 torque at 3600 rpm's and pulls like crazy. Best move I ever made! You can see the difference between the 2 trucks parked side by side.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I put a Pro Comp 4" in my 2010 Sierra. It was a 4" front lift and 2" block in the rear. I ran 34" Mickey Thompson tires on it. I also had 3:42 gears and it pulled terrible, even with a custom Diablo tune. I think the 34's dropped my gear ratio to about a 3:25. I just traded it in on a 2011 Denali 2500 Duramax and it has a Pro Comp 6" and I put 36" Nitto's on it. Its been tuned to 490 hp and 830 torque at 3600 rpm's and pulls like crazy. Best move I ever made! You can see the difference between the 2 trucks parked side by side.

Nice trucks Bryan. Thank you for the information also. I was thinking that I may need to do gears to compensate for the increased tire. Currently the maximum trailer I pull is either my boat which is about 3400lbs or my side by side trailer and four wheeler which is about the same.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Nice trucks Bryan. Thank you for the information also. I was thinking that I may need to do gears to compensate for the increased tire. Currently the maximum trailer I pull is either my boat which is about 3400lbs or my side by side trailer and four wheeler which is about the same.

can you re-gear yourself ? it's expensive to do for parts and labor if having a shop do it .... with the tire size you want v/s your current gear it will be a must do or you'll suffer badly on performance and fuel milage [and probably suffer fuel milage no matter what] .. as to towing , well we'll just say large tire size and towing don't mix well even re-geared .... yes it can be done but IMHO not well

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well there goes getting the lawn mowed today. thunderstorms were supposed to come in after 7pm but decided to come before 3pm. i didnt get home from work until 3:30. i was hoping to get that done because we have a charity ride to go on tomorrow. that is a full days shift with no time for mowing :D

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Heading out today to watch my 10 year old grandson race karts for the first time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
That is really cool! I started out racing go carts back in the early 60's. We worked up through the classes as we ran! The new carts are unreal compared to our era! Tell him good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the wife and i decided to opt out of the charity ride yesterday. the storm was crazy and we felt that it wouldnt be much fun being the tail riders after everyone hit the muddy trial. i am getting to old to be getting stuck. i also do not have a winch yet so i would be up a crick without a paddle.
instead we decided to go cruising the countryside looking at what the storm did. it was pretty crazy. we saw many grain bins ripped from their foundation and blown over a quarter mile away. saw some morton buildings that left shrapnel over 4 miles. saw a roof ripped off of a shop. lots of people cutting up trees everywhere.
we tagged over 150 miles yesterday just looking at the damage and talking with people. we stopped at this one small town tavern to talk with some of the guys that were taking a break. they said they were not allowed to clean anything but the trees. they had to wait for an insurance adjuster to look at their farm. they lost their roof on their shop and a morton building. they said the hail wiped out lots of their crops and vehicles. they said they measured the depth of the hail and it was 6 inches deep ranging form pea size to softball size. it looked like snow banks.
it was a weird storm with lots of straight line winds, tornado's, and hail. we stopped at a grave yard that had a huge granite war memorial set up for all the local vets. the winds tipped it and it was in pieces. very sad. the odd part was the wind had the power to do that, bend flag poles, tear flags from poles, but yet left the memorial flowers on all of the graves alone like there was no wind at all.
my wife and i were up at the heart of this storm last night eating at a steak house. our phones were going off saying a tornado was in our area. we decided to get out of town and over to an area we knew we could get cover. there were alot of people that left at that time headed to where we were going to. once we left we went to it but realized we were not in the danger area. the bad stuff was on the other side of town. i could see the clouds circling and tornado fingers starting to drop but as fast as they started they would disappear. we decided to keep driving away from the town and never did get any wind, hail, or what not. we left at the perfect time.
looking at the good side of it, there was nobody hurt. things can be fixed or replaced and it will make the community tighter. people tend to take things for granted until you cant, then you remember what is important.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Ya, your area got hammered! Glad you and yours are ok. Nice to see communities pull together when stuff like this happens.

Me, today I slept after working more nights. Not much going on when working these long stretches at the plant. Work and sleep, that's about it! Washed my truck this morning, 1/2 price off at the carwash from 6pm to 6am, so I popped a cold one (ok 2) and knocked off some gnat guts and plant dust. Must have started up a reactor last night, because it had a light coat of seal oil on it, too. Plants hard on us and our vehicles! Driving the work car tonight. Trucks too clean to get it messed up.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts