Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last October had fuel issues with my 2009 Prowler700 H1 EFI I took it to my local ATV place and they told me it was my fuel pump so put new pump in also new battery. Went Elk hunting in November with no issues, parked it for the winter then went out this last weekend and we did a ride for about 7hr with no problem until the last 30 minutes it started shutting off then it would start but it ran ruff and would only stay on for a minute or so. So we went to get the truck and trailer and when I started it ran like it should so I drove it to the main road but it started back fire and trying to shut down so I had the pump the gas paddle a lot to get it to the trailer. It seem like it does this thing when it's hot any thoughts ?:(
PS checked fuel pump pressure and it is 36psi.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Service manual states 43 psi for the fuel pump, how clean is the fuel filter, and gas? I have the same machine, and the fuel filter is located under the passenger seat pan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New filter tank drained and cleaned. What's got me stumped is that it ran all day for 7 hour then started doing what it did last year before the new fuel pump. My gauge is a 0-60 2 lb. increments so that could be the difference on the gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm going to think on the simple side, any chance it could be a fouled plug or getting a weak spark?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up prowler from dealer but they could not fine the problem. Looks like I'll have to fined it my self.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That sucks! These things can be frustrating at times! Kinda like a woman! Hope you find the problem! Any chance you could borrow a ECM from someone to try? Not sure if the ECM breaks down or not!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fuel pump is an electric motor and they can get hot and not spin fast enough just like a starter on a car. 36 psi and the spec is 42psi? That is a big difference. You could carry a can of carb cleaner and spray it in the engine when it acts up. If it revs up you have a fuel problem. Pump, injector not opening long enough.....ecm? I would pick on the pump since the pressure is low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will start every time after it shuts down just wont stay running long and it seams to be a fuel issue because if I pump the paddle it will try and run but real ruff then shut down. What is a ECM ?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
ECM/ECU Engine Control Unit, Any signs of overheating? Any white smoke out of the exhaust? Mine did something similar, hard to start, had to pump the gas to get it to fire, would not idle, and so on. Turned out to be my head gasket leaking (not enough to overheat, but enough to effect compression loss), how is your valve clearance, the manual calls for .04 on the intake, and .06 on the exhaust cold. Just reaching here, hard to diagnose over the forum! LOL Keep us posted! We are a curious bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Swan find out if anyone in your area can do a fuel pump rpm test. I do these on cars and it shows me who the current is moving through the pump windings. Also shows me the speed of the pump. A car can run bad below 4500 rpms. Not sure on my prowler but I will check. Google fuel pump rpms test with snap on vantage scope or lab scope.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It will start every time after it shuts down just wont stay running long and it seams to be a fuel issue because if I pump the paddle it will try and run but real ruff then shut down. What is a ECM ?
Does kinda sound like a fuel issue,if it starts fine when its cold.....and you said pumping the gas will keep it running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
starts even when it's hot just shut's down. Run fine when it cold that's why arctic cat dealer couldn't fine the problem.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
150.00 new from the ac store. Aftermarket coils are about 100.00 on ebay. Or try Powersportsnation for a used one, they do test all electrical parts.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Found new coil on ebay for 24.00 dollars , free shipping. I looked under " arctic cat prowler 700 XTX ignition coil" from Caltrek. I used them before with no issues!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can I make a suggestion before you go looking at the coil? Have you replaced the boot between the motor and throttle body yet? if you haven't I can 100% guarantee you that its defective and cracked. All the 700's to my knowledge have this problem at some point, mine included. The new part is an updated one and you will see when comparing them, its far superior. My prowler displayed many of the same symptoms and it seemed like an impossible thing to diagnose. If its got the original boot, don't even check it order the part it needs to be replaced. while you're there, pick up a new spark plug and replace that. Mine would foul the plug, without fail every year when it came out of storage. These two things seem so simple but they can cause you a lot of headache. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts