Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently obtained 2010 XTX and at times I notice an odor that smells kind of like paint burning off the muffler. About 10 hours+ running still smells at times. It is not the brakes or coolant, they appear to be operating correctly and not over heating. cannot determine exactly where odor is coming from. It seems that the odor would be mentioned somewhere here or at AC. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a metal foil shielding over the muffler on a pan connected to the top of the frame. A metal shield near the muffler end of the exhaust header. No other shielding I'm aware of. I'm not sure where smell is coming from, with a windshield on it, I can smell it going down the road. Didn't smell it with windshield off of it riding, but now with it on there, I can sometimes smell it. After riding, I sometimes smell the odor when I stop. Not when just idling to warm up though. Is is something I need to remedy?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It also seems to have a vent from the drive case? to a filter behind the drivers seat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a "warm belt" something I need to attend to?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Is there paint on the exhaust? if its a new unit this smell of burning paint is normal. Mine was like that until all the paint was gone from the exhaust header. If you bought it used, a lot of times people will paint the exhaust when selling because it just looks better. I've re painted mine with the "from the can" ceramic paint and it does smell like that for quite a while after. This would be my best guess, given the info. How is your xtx working? do you like it so far?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unit has about 700 mi and 90 hrs TT on it. Dealer where purchased maybe replaced bearing replaced. Need to get back with them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love it so far. Not have the dunes as out in the SW, but have creek beds and hills a plenty. Not sure if running correctly or not, new to this. Starts, rolls, not overheating, leaking anything. My ears are not use to the sounds the XTX makes when running. All together different than my old Bayou or two Harleys as you would imagine. Eager to learn and experience the Prowler and other side x sides. Thanks Desertcat and AlmostxProwler!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts