Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run 1.5" clutch exhaust pvc?

I lowered my seats and have been trying to re-pipe it.
I found a way but I need to use 1.5"

If I can use 1.5" can I use the whole run or should I go up in size asap.

The route I found comes out and 180* then 90* and a 45* b4 I can put in straight pipe.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was looking at another post where a guy lowered his seats, and posted pic's of it,And while looking at the pic's it dawned on me, couldnt you use 2'' pipe and just oval it out to fit? We have ovaled out pvc before for some plumbing jobs at the cabin, and we just used a heating blanket to soften up the pvc, and worked really well..
Just a thought!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good idea I will have to look @ that.

I lowered my cowl and shifter so things are super tight!!!!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I was looking at another post where a guy lowered his seats, and posted pic's of it,And while looking at the pic's it dawned on me, couldnt you use 2'' pipe and just oval it out to fit? We have ovaled out pvc before for some plumbing jobs at the cabin, and we just used a heating blanket to soften up the pvc, and worked really well..
Just a thought!!!

Just a thought...but if a heating blanket is all that is needed to soften up the pvc, wouldn't the pvc melt with the heat from the exhaust? or is there enough room? I just don't want you to melt your hard work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just a thought...but if a heating blanket is all that is needed to soften up the pvc, wouldn't the pvc melt with the heat from the exhaust? or is there enough room? I just don't want you to melt your hard work.
It is not a heating blanket like the one you would use on your bed, it is desinged for pvc, We rented one from ABC rental for use at are cabin.
You just rap it around the piece you want to bend or oval, and when it gets pliable or soft, you take off the blanket , bend pvc, then cool with wet rag.. CAUTION! pvc will get hot..

There should be enough air through there to keep it from getting soft when mounted on bike..

And i would keep it an inch or 2 away from the exhaust if possible, But yes PVC WILL melt if touched to the exhaust manifold.. If you are woried about the pvc around that area you could make some sort of heat shield for that area as well, just to keep some air between the 2..
I have not tried this my self, I was just thinking...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the pvc is more resistant to heat than the stock plastic.

I just want to know if 1.5" will flow enough air?

I do live in alaska and our weather is cooler than most so......that might help.

Inlet is 1.5" so I would suspect that an exhaust of same size would be ok.

Any one with experience running 1.5" clutch exhaust? Or good reasons why I can't.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is not a heating blanket like the one you would use on your bed, it is desinged for pvc, We rented one from ABC rental for use at are cabin.
You just rap it around the piece you want to bend or oval, and when it gets pliable or soft, you take off the blanket , bend pvc, then cool with wet rag.. CAUTION! pvc will get hot..

There should be enough air through there to keep it from getting soft when mounted on bike..

And i would keep it an inch or 2 away from the exhaust if possible, But yes PVC WILL melt if touched to the exhaust manifold.. If you are woried about the pvc around that area you could make some sort of heat shield for that area as well, just to keep some air between the 2..
I have not tried this my self, I was just thinking...
I made a pvc adapter to put a K&N filter on our Durango, couldn't figure out why the clamp kept coming loose until I popped the hood when the engine was warmed up and noticed the pvc was very soft. That was in line with direct airflow. Some pvc is more heat resistant though right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can I run 1.5" clutch exhaust pvc?

I lowered my seats and have been trying to re-pipe it.
I found a way but I need to use 1.5"

If I can use 1.5" can I use the whole run or should I go up in size asap.

The route I found comes out and 180* then 90* and a 45* b4 I can put in straight pipe.

Thanks for the help.
on my xtx 700 I'm running 1 1/2 pvc on the clutch intake and exhaust and 2 inch on my engine intake I've had it on for about 600 miles now no problems yet (haven't had it in any real hot weather though 65-70 max)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm running 2" pvc snorkels on mine. What do you have to do with the small vent lines that come up behind the seats and fold over? Anything? What are they for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes there is more than one type of PVC. There is white solid core and white foam core. The solid is probably more heat resistant. Then there are grey used for electrical and schedule 80 water lines. Go to a supply house not home depot and they can give you what you need. Remember pipe is measured on the inside tube is measured on the outside.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I made a pvc adapter to put a K&N filter on our Durango, couldn't figure out why the clamp kept coming loose until I popped the hood when the engine was warmed up and noticed the pvc was very soft. That was in line with direct airflow. Some pvc is more heat resistant though right?
I believe the black ( i forgot the name of it) is the most heat resistant, But im not sure,, Remember i have never tried this before ,it was just a thought i had.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If they are fuel tank and carb hoses, what do i do with them? Do i have to tap them into the snorkel, or just leave them alone?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI
With enough thought and ingenuity I was able to get 2" in there!!!!

Might just get to ride tomorrow well today technically boy I need some sleep...........

·
Registered
463 Posts
nice job let us know how it works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Made snokel pics?

I want to see the top of the air box and how people are attaching the PVC to the box. Where they are attaching to the clutch inlet and exhaust. If some one has a parts list that would be great! I have a 2010 Prowler 700xtx and want a snorkel for it. This looks way to easy to make for companies to charge $300 for! I have looked and read some post about this but nothing real clear. Thank you all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts