Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made up some snorkels for my xtx today, hated where the intake was, kept sucking in mud and water to the airbox as well as a lot of dust when in dusty trails. Took it for a ride this evening and now it feels like it a quicker machine and no extra noise. I expected it to be louder but it sounds exactly as it did before, I guess the wave intake didn't do too much. Has anyone else snorkeled there prowler, and did you notice any thing different?

·
Registered
155 Posts
what size tubing did you use? i'm gonna build my self a kit also, better to be safe than sorry like i was last week end!! :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The exhaust snorkel for the clutch (the oval one), I cut the elbow off the top of the pipe and connected a rubber plumbing connector, 3 inch, fits over the oval part perfect and still able to connect to 3 inch pvc. After the rubber connector is a short 3 inch pvc nipple glued to a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer then exiting as seen. On the intake to the clutch, I cut off the top elbow as well and used 1 and a half inch pvc and run in up and out. The airbox is the same 1 and a half inch pvc, took the stock intake off, turned the elbow and run up and out as well. Had to do some trimming of the cowl cover but all fit well and seems to work well to!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The exhaust snorkel for the clutch (the oval one), I cut the elbow off the top of the pipe and connected a rubber plumbing connector, 3 inch, fits over the oval part perfect and still able to connect to 3 inch pvc. After the rubber connector is a short 3 inch pvc nipple glued to a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer then exiting as seen. On the intake to the clutch, I cut off the top elbow as well and used 1 and a half inch pvc and run in up and out. The airbox is the same 1 and a half inch pvc, took the stock intake off, turned the elbow and run up and out as well. Had to do some trimming of the cowl cover but all fit well and seems to work well to!
is your rig efi or carb

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel injected, never had to do anything to the computer, runs perfect! If ti was carbed, may have had to rejet. The plug on this one runs a golden brown color so to me thats great!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
How much more noise with the snorkels in the cab area?

Have you noticed more dust in the cab area?

I may enclose my cab completely so have some concerns.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You definatley get more noise, mostly intake suction noise and clutch noise but not too crazy as I can still hear the stereo system. Dust is not any different but I run a half windshied, soft top only, guys that run full windshields have more of a dust problem. If you run any cab, it will get very noisy with or without snorkels, my freind just sold his xtx with the soft cab from arctic cat and you could not even talk inside, it was that loud, even if he had snorkeled it, I don't think it could get any louder!:eek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I'm working on a 650 XT but do you guys have any idea on how to relocate the snorkels on it to keep from sucking in all the dust (stock has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen).

Now for the tricky part. In Minnesota the law states we can't snorkel more than 6" above stock location:mad::mad:. I know dumb law but I know they do enforce it.

I don't go in a lot of water or mud but will when the opportunity arises or is needed which kind of messes up just running them down and further back under the box.

I do have doors, metal roof, and a full folding windshield at this time and would like to make it enclosed for winter in the near future so the dust and noise will be an issue also.

Have I provided enough of a brain burner for you guys?:D:):eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firstly, what is the explanation for that "law" because I don't understand whats the thinking behind that. Next, is there anything in that law about going lower than stock position? My idea may be a pain in the a$$ to do but why not plumb the lines down, between the floor and skid plate and come up somewhere behind the radiator, this way it would still be more or less stock height and out of the dust. Creative plumbing to say the least but I think it's possible! What's your thought?

Goon:rolleyes:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The theory of the law is to keep you out of the water and waterways. Riding in any of them up here is against the law and can lead to loss of your ride.

As far as moving them forward I'm not sure, I know the Rhino 660 guys tried this after the 700 fuel injected machines did just as you described right from factory and they couldn't get the jetting down no matter what. Last I checked all the top knotch Rhino guys gave up on moving them forward.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you just want fresh air for the engine, I would just ditch the factory air tubing from the rubber elbow at the air box, turn up the elbow, add a length of pipe with a 90 at the top, just long enough to clear the engine cover. Hopefully it shouldn't be any longer than 6 inches and you should be fine!:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just measured my machine, it is 4 inches from the top of the elbow to the top of the brace under the engine cover, I think it's do able and keeping legal!:D

·
Registered
618 Posts
goonski
Thanks for the info and measurement. Most likely would do the air intake and cvt intake as it sits right beside the cvt exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts