1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I would think that 225 lbs. would work. The holding pressure would be much higher than 225. You can't compress a liquid/fluid, so when the blade is parked it would stay in position. Just my thoughts!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that 225 lbs. would work. The holding pressure would be much higher than 225. You can't compress a liquid/fluid, so when the blade is parked it would stay in position. Just my thoughts!
The one I'm looking at on eBay is all electric gear driven no fluid, here's the specs they have listed.

This actuator has a "Static Load" rating of 225 lbs. This is the weight that the structure can support. The "Dynamic Load" rating is 112 lbs. This is the weight that the device can push, pull or lift.

Built-in adjustable limit switch allows for custom run times
10:1 Gear Ratio for fast operation
Built in clutch prevents damage from overextension
High torque motor
Permanently lubricated sealed shaft
Contracted Length: 16 3/4"
Fully Extended Length: 24 3/4"
Travel speed: .354 inches/sec (9mm/sec) at 50% load
Mounting hole diameter: 5/16"
Max draw: 4.8 amps
20% duty

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I don't see is operating temps, I need to make sure cold temps don't effect it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting ready for winter I see.:eek:
Yep, my brother thinks he knows where I can pickup a hydraulic one locally, time to shop around.

·
Registered
282 Posts
interested in how this will work out for you, would defiantly be a luxury to have one. thanks for putting in the work.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to check on some more cylinders before I buy, I'll keep a list of prices and part numbers as I go.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a reply from the seller about the actuator I had a link to in the first post. I still don't know the operating limits but I found similar items at Northern Tool that had limits of 23°F to 104°F. My other concern with this one is the speed, Travel speed: .354 inches/sec (9mm/sec) at 50% load seems like it might be slow.

Question:
I'm considering using this as an angle adjuster for the snow blade on my ATV, will moisture or freezing temps effect it's operation?

Answer:
Hi, this product is weather resistant, but extreme cold outside normal operating limits could cause issues. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I got a reply from the seller about the actuator I had a link to in the first post. I still don't know the operating limits but I found similar items at Northern Tool that had limits of 23°F to 104°F. My other concern with this one is the speed, Travel speed: .354 inches/sec (9mm/sec) at 50% load seems like it might be slow.

Question:
I'm considering using this as an angle adjuster for the snow blade on my ATV, will moisture or freezing temps effect it's operation?

Answer:
Hi, this product is weather resistant, but extreme cold outside normal operating limits could cause issues. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Don't look like it's for very cold weather.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike hows does your blade move left and right now.Do you have to get out and do it by hand.:confused:
Yep, by hand.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Thankfully I only do my driveway, and I only have to change the blade angle twice, it still is a pain!

·
Registered
808 Posts
same here, American Mfg had an electric one but discontinued it due to the forces created by the leverage of the 6' blade taking an impact on the outer edge would break the plactic gears inside. now they have a hydro unit that is about 800.00....ouch....

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I had a plow on my 650 I rigged up a cable from an old snowblower I had kicking around I rigged it up to the spring loaded clip that lets you pivit the blade from left to right....just pull the cable from inside the machine and push the machine into a snowbank on the left or right to lock in where I needed it just kept on plowing :D it was a cheep mod

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
same here, American Mfg had an electric one but discontinued it due to the forces created by the leverage of the 6' blade taking an impact on the outer edge would break the plactic gears inside. now they have a hydro unit that is about 800.00....ouch....
I wonder if 400 lbs would be enough, I might call this company and see if they have plastic gears.
Linear Actuator PA 02 8 400 8 Inch Stroke 400 lbs force actuator by ActuatorZone

I had a plow on my 650 I rigged up a cable from an old snowblower I had kicking around I rigged it up to the spring loaded clip that lets you pivit the blade from left to right....just pull the cable from inside the machine and push the machine into a snowbank on the left or right to lock in where I needed it just kept on plowing :D it was a cheep mod
I might have to look into your idea, simple might be better. I would hate to spend several hundred bucks only to have it break the first time out.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think eagle Plows already makes that cable kit, or I saw it in Shadetree UTV catalog.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think eagle Plows already makes that cable kit, or I saw it in Shadetree UTV catalog.
Your right I found it at both places but the price runs from $65-$85, that seems a little steep.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts