Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the 650 cat in 2WD about 30mph when I was stopped on a level straight road with a deafening sound of an explosion 2 days ago with smoke (like something is burning). Had it towed to my house and my mechanic dropped by starting the unit, no bad sound with engine running. Lifted the rear end up and tried to put it into gear, no luck of getting the wheels going. Drive shaft into rear diff. did not turn! Did not rev engine too high yet, mechanic will come tomorrow and try to analyze what could be wrong. Has anybody experienced something similar, and if so, what was the problem?
I do have a second 650 H1 engine, which the SOCAL dealer bored out to 700cc, but which never run properly, thus I bought a brand new engine, this one, which now has this problem. Could it be some gear in the engine that failed? I live in southern Baja where parts for AC are not available....
I will keep the forum posted what we come up with and appreciate input/help on the problem resolve. I'm sure we'll have to "dig" into the engine and while doing so, is there any recommendation for other parts to be changed out which are non related to the "explosion".

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Hi Manfred! It starts and idles OK? Did you drain the oil yet? Any large pieces in the oil? I have a strong magnet that I put in the oil fill hole and see If I have any chunks in the crankcase'. The 650 have had a history of bevel gear failures.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairmont79 you are my man! You never failed me when I had a problem with the AC.In short, I was so convinced that some gear etc. was broken, that I decided with my mechanic to remove the engine and see what's up and hoping that I can replace broken parts from my 2nd engine. Removing the belt cover, we saw the drive belt in 100 pieces squashed between the drive and driven wheel. We replaced it, checked other things like valve gap changed oil & filter and installed it again in the cat. Started it and it sounds great, runs great and I'm happy. Should have checked the belt while the engine was still mounted! A question I have, since the last belt seems to have lasted only a short time and I noticed sometimes a slipping belt, which I don't feel and hear now: New belts have an arrow printed showing the direction of rotation. If not installed like it indicates, could that have been the reason for the slippages and early failure? How does one determine the direction the belt should be mounted on a used belt where the little arrow print has disappeared?
Since I'm on the line and drive likely the southernmost AC, I like to list to you folks some of the issues I had to deal with (in the southern Baja) where there is no parts support or dealership. Temperatures are high most of the time. Lack of rain and lots of dust when driving off the road. Air filter is totally inadequate! cost me the "repair" of my orig. engine by a SOCAL "dealer" ($300 under list price of new engine) which did not work, thus I bought a factory new engine also I installed. Added a K&N pre-filter. The AC foam in their filter falls to pieces after about a year. Corrosion of frame and metal parts for lack of undercoating and metal preparation before painting. Floor and Box plastic is brittle and breaks. Exhaust system is too hot and needs shielding. Just bought titanium wrapping for it to eliminate my home design measures. Had to replace exhaust because of corrosion. Had a SS one fabricated and installed. Battery size is totally inadequate. My mod.and a off the shelve battery more than twice the size and half the price installed. Changed rear rims to front size ones and installed bigger and for me better tires, all the same on all wheels at less cost. Added the gauge cluster you recommended for temp, oil press. and coolant together with a red low oil press. warning light. Added an aux fuel pump in case the orig. one fails. Had to replace rear diff, front and rear wheel shafts and steering rods to better quality ones. Aside added a warren winch and a lexan (bullet proof) wind shield, canvass top cover and seat covers, because the plastic seats were not taking the sun and split, Replaced the cheap plastic underfloor cover with a solid aluminum one specially made for the AC. Not to mention the elimination of the internal "brake" or slow-down feature replacements of seals ans bearings....This is a long read, but I thought I bring this to your attention and the forum. In the end, I'm still happy with the AC ideal for my use and area. It cost me about the same as my 23 ft Parker boat with Volvo diesel drive....Greetings, and may be you could clear up my questions on the drive belt.....

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Not sure if the belt being installed backwards will cause premature failure. As many times as I swapped out clutch parts, I'm sure I put one in wrong on more that one occasion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A new belt can be installed in either direction but if it's ever removed you need to be sure to put it on the same way it came off. Some have arrows, some just have words printed to help a person remember which way it was installed. Make sure that you get all the old belt debris out of the housing. If any clogs the air exhaust hole the new belt will run hot and won't last long.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
All great points! Thanks for sharing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts