Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not be the place but prayers for the spectators, family members and the drivers of that offroad race. I love those type of races and if they were held around here I could have been right there in the crowd.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this but it is very unfortunate. My prayers will definately be with these families.

·
Registered
241 Posts
August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America | race-deZert.com

August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America.

During the MDR California 200 in Lucerne,CA a race truck in the 1450 pre-runner class went off the race course into a large group of spectators killing at least 8 and leaving more wounded.

Off-Road racing in the desert is held in open unpopulated desert areas common to the southwest of the United States. These areas are designated Off Highway Recreational Areas and are open to the public. Last Saturday, MDR organized a night race as part of the their race series in Lucern, CA near Soggy Lake that attracted 87 entries and many spectators alongside the 60-mile race course. This being on open public land, desert crowds gathered all along the course to watch the race cars go by.

Soon after the start approximately 2 miles into the race one of the race trucks went off the designated course into a group of spectators, coming to a stop up-side down. Some people where trapped under the vehicle. The spectators took quick action and slowed down following race cars and gave first-aid to those in need. There were many spectators on-hand that had first-aid experience and they rushed to the scene without any hesitations most likely saving lives due to their actions.

Soon the CHP, BLM and Fire Department took over. Multiple helicopters rushed injured spectators to nearby hospitals.

California Highway Patrol started a detailed accident investigation. There are false reports on some media outlets that the driver had to flee the scene due to assaults from an angry mob. This is not true and CHP released the driver free to go without any charges filed at the moment.

Desert racing over the years has adopted many safety standards such as personal safety equipment and technical inspections to all race competitors. Crowds are advised to stay clear of the race course and often the race promotor marks safety lines alongside the race course spectators have to follow.

A safety wall or fence, common in other forms of motorsports, is simply unrealistic as races are held on large public lands. How do you fence in hundreds of desert miles?

The entire off-road community grieves over the loss of human lives. We are one off-road family and will hold together in this dark time. There will be many questions, some answers and some solutions down the road that will make desert racing an even safer sport.

If you feel as helpless as we all feel right now but feel the need to reach out and help then please donate towards the California 200 fund fast-aid.org

Fast Aid is a non profit organization that has been in place to offer fast financial aid where it counts. FAST-Aid
http://www.fast-iad.org/
Ive donated. This hit pretty close to home as one of the deceased was a friend of a friends. I was also supposed to be at this race, but didnt have enough time to make it as im still prepping my buddies bike for Vegas to Reno. :(

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Honestly though it was only a matter of time. Saw to many videos of spectators in baja standing way to close to off road racers doing 100 mph. People have got to realize that they can't get out of the way fast enough standing that close to the course. I hate to say it but this will get ugly with lawyers and insurance companies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
71 Posts
after watching the news footage i cant believe that this hasn't happened sooner or involved more spectators. Standing that close has its risks it has happened and will happen again! if people are allowed to watch from that close id say they are at more risk standing there than any of the racers are in the trucks.
that being said it doesn't help the victim's of this crash I'm sorry it happened and hopefully it doesn't become a legal witch hunt and some good will somehow come from their loss.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Guys I have they same thoughts, they were to close to the race course especially with kids and stuff.

But that is part of desert racing. You can get close if you want, you can stand on the outside of corners if you are dumb enough or next to a big jump. The drivers are not going to do 15mph within 50 feet of spectators like the rules say, you would be pissed if they did.

America is one of the only places that the car races have set spectator stands. All over the world you stand along the race course at your own risk. Yes America is safer but in this case I have reservations i guess. I like the freedom of desert!!!!

It will just go back to Baja probably, don't like that at this time.

RIP and Godspeed to the poor people involved, My prayers are with you!

Brett it was not your fault, it was just racing. in my prayers!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here-hear!

Ditto GP! Wasnt the drivers' fault but life as he knew it is over - just as the spectators who died as well as thems who mourn them!

I used to attend ADRA races and was on a pitcrew for a heavy metal truck. it amazed me how close folks would want to get to the action! We always stationed ourselves high enough that a TOTALLY out-of-control vehicle couldnt squish us.

I am certain this will be another opportunity to introduce and forcefeed new laws to protect the ignorant from their own ignorance.

Rest in peace spectators... rest in peace Lady Liberty!

Guys I have they same thoughts, they were to close to the race course especially with kids and stuff.

But that is part of desert racing. You can get close if you want, you can stand on the outside of corners if you are dumb enough or next to a big jump. The drivers are not going to do 15mph within 50 feet of spectators like the rules say, you would be pissed if they did.

America is one of the only places that the car races have set spectator stands. All over the world you stand along the race course at your own risk. Yes America is safer but in this case I have reservations i guess. I like the freedom of desert!!!!

It will just go back to Baja probably, don't like that at this time.

RIP and Godspeed to the poor people involved, My prayers are with you!

Brett it was not your fault, it was just racing. in my prayers!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My deepest sympathy to the families of the spectators that perished on that race day. Very sad day indeed. Racing must go on and I can understand the need to enforce or write some new rules but we need to fight for the right to continue to hold these spectacular racing venues. Safety is paramount and money needs to be spent to ensure it is enforced. God speed to those lost.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Its like watching street racing in Chicago, with the people watch way to close to the action. My prayers are with the victems and Families.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree with Rick 100%.

There is a lot going on behind the scene on this, Bj Baldwin, Chad Ragland and others are doing interviews to try and dispel some of the rumors and inaccuracies on desert racing. We have started a mass letter campaign to the BLM in support of desert racing (which I suggest everyone get involved in) and many of us are working together to support those involved.
Rick, you are so very right, it wasn't Brett's fault. These things happen in racing, even moreso in other countries.

For contacting and writing letters to the BLM, go to:
Contact us regarding BLM California Barstow Field Office web pages

Here is a sample letter that started as a letter Chad Ragland wrote and has been changed for myself. I urge you all to take this letter, change it to fit yourselves and send it to comment form posted above. The future of racing in the desert could be at stake as well as UTV recreation on BLM land.

"RE: MDR Off-road race in Lucerne, Aug. 14, 2010

Even though this accident happened in another BLM District, I feel it affects all of us, especially us in the desert southwest.

I understand that this is a very difficult time for the BLM as well as the entire off-road community. The tragic loss of eight and the injuries of many more will take a long time to recover from, if ever. As a semi-professional off-road racer and avid outdoors adventurer, I am sending this email to show my support for the BLM and sanctioned off-road racing events. I am aware of the negative way the media has already began to portray off-road racing. I think this is unfair, and not responsible. There is danger in almost everything we do. Driving on America's public roads and highways is still one of the most dangerous things we can do. The death of eight and the injury of several more at the MDR race in Lucerne is a terrible accident, and devastating to all those involved as well as the BLM and off-road racing community. A tragic accident, but still, an accident.
I believe in enjoying this beautiful country and in the BLM for managing our public lands. I know of no better group that appreciates our public lands, that uses our public lands, and wants to see our public lands continue to be a safe and enjoyable, than off-roaders. For over forty years, I, and now my children, have been participating in off-road racing, and it has become not only my passion, but also my second career. I believe off-road racing is an important and legitimate way to experience public lands. I would like to see positive come from this tragedy as I am sure the BLM as well. I think this is possible.
I hope off-road racing and the BLM can continue to work together in a mutually beneficial relationship that continues to provide recreation, enjoyment, and livelihood for a great many of Americans. Lets make this accident/incident be a stepping stone to improve the sport for all. I know a few of the spectators that were involved in the accident or watched it happen, and can state positively, they would want the sport to continue and prosper.

Thank you for your time and attention in this."

For anyone that wants to help donate to the fund for the victims, go to:
California 200 - FAST-Aid

And we need prayers sent out to all those involved.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sandchris i completely agree with you on this. I finally saw some footage on this last night on my local news station and it is awful. As bad as it is, it was going to happen sooner or later. I just hope this doesn't hurt desert racing. Even though i live nowhere close to the action i do love to watch it when i have the chance. Its very exciting to me. The public that don't know much about this competition needs to understand that these people know the risks when watching a race this close and do it anyway because of their love of the sport. I've seen several accidents similar to this in all sorts of racing and have been amazed that more people haven't been killed. I just hope that lawyers and law makers doesn't ruin the sport. It's so unfortunate and i feel very saddened for the loss of life at this event. I will, as i'm sure all of America will, keep the families in our prayers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A sililar accident happened in the WRC back in 1986, several spectators were killed and rally officials put an end to the group B cars in a knee jerk reaction. Hopefully some good willcome of this and the politicians will stay out of it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You hit on a very good point about politicians. I doubt if they would try and get some play out of this but you never know with elections being so close to this incident and timing.

On another thought you gotta practice common sense. Plenty of people there that did not get hurt because they did not put themselves in a questionable situation. But then again I did see and have seen plenty of people that could have been the ones in trouble.
A sililar accident happened in the WRC back in 1986, several spectators were killed and rally officials put an end to the group B cars in a knee jerk reaction. Hopefully some good willcome of this and the politicians will stay out of it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts