Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed limit programing (electronic governor)

My 2016 HDX had a max speed limit of 25mph when I first looked at it. The factory has it take effect after the first 10 miles. I'm told by the dealer that is to limit abuse before it's sale. It was programmed into the onboard electronics and when registered to the new owner for the first time a code is generated and when input to the onboard computer it removes the MPH limiter. I would like to know if there is a way to do this after the initial register to accommodate our city ordinance that requires a max speed of 25. Any insight? This would be a helpful option for some I would think.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
New unit has all of the electronic gizmo's! You would think there would be a procedure for this! It would be great if you have kids driving it! Or Old Farts like me! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'll keep doing some research but this could be one option, it's a little pricey but you could always swap the parts out with the factory one when you travel to places you want more speed. I'm sure you can buy it somewhere else and maybe cheaper but it was the first one I found.

for sale in Beecher, IL | Fredette Racing Products (708) 946-0999

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Governor ideas

Thanks Mike, Sure looks like what I need if I can't program it directly to the onboard computer. Worth it if I that is what it will take, I'll keep it in mind. Think you could wire a bypass switch inline with this rather than reprograming it every time? 0:) What about a block of some sort under the the pedal or linkage? Not sure law enforcement would buy the pedal thing. Kind of cheesy butt..

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Thanks Mike, Sure looks like what I need if I can't program it directly to the onboard computer. Worth it if I that is what it will take, I'll keep it in mind. Think you could wire a bypass switch inline with this rather than reprograming it every time? 0:) What about a block of some sort under the the pedal or linkage? Not sure law enforcement would buy the pedal thing. Kind of cheesy butt..

Cheers!
I don't think the block or linkage would work well, what would happen if you climb a steep hill or haul a heavy load in the bed? Low gear might be alright but in high I would think you would loose speed fast going uphill.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hey RD you have a programmable Dynatek box, can you limit the speed on yours and how hard is it to reprogram?

Paul I found this link to a service manual for the 2016 XT, should be the same setup as you HDX. Might have some info if you don't have one already.

Technical Information - Prowler - 2016 Prowler Service Manuals

·
Registered
808 Posts
We had that limit too as when registered as a low speed utility vehicle (25 mph) because the law makers used a Kubota RTV Diesel to base it on. I said mine does 25 mph and I use low range..

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I can set timing, and fuel curve on my Dynatek box by using my laptop. RPM's are preset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey RD you have a programmable Dynatek box, can you limit the speed on yours and how hard is it to reprogram?

Paul I found this link to a service manual for the 2016 XT, should be the same setup as you HDX. Might have some info if you don't have one already.

Thanks Mike,

Good stuff, I'm still waiting for my owners manual from my dealer... :(
I'm impressed by the detail they put into that thing. The RPM controller is where they limit speed?

Cheers!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Not sure if they control RPM, or speed. On the Dynatek I can put in, or remove timing, same on the fuel, but I cannot change RPM settings.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
the Pet Condensed Milk is a very OLD trick for emergency repairs , when you in BFE and have nothing to loose it really works on the lower pressure systems ... don't know on the newer higher pressure systems though as I have been able to afford proper repairs for a long time LOL and not been stranded in a very long while with issues.

guess I went to a different thread to pst this LOL ... nut'in wrong with me LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Used the Pet Milk on my 49 Ford Flathead! Man those things ran hot! I think I had more Pet Milk in it than anti-freeze!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts