Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a "MacGyver" method to split the crankcase on an 09 700 XTX, or do I need the specialized tool? If tool is needed can someone tell me where to find it (don't need OEM) and what the part # is? Also right now I'm just concentrating on the left side so do I still need to remove the magneto/flywheel assembly? Looks to me like that could all stay in place until/if I need to dig into the right side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
RD will reply soon , resident expert 700 guy .... he has his apart daily for some unknown reason [he likes to polish the engine interior :) ]

Reactions: Retired1

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I found a splitter on ebay. It is made by Tusk. Several versions were shown and priced anywhere from 69.00 - 300.00 plus! Rocky Mountain ATV handles the Tusk unit.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/-/143201/Tusk-Crankcase-Splitter?term=1177390001
Not sure about leaving the left side intact, I'd be concerned about possible seal damage when putting it back together. I'm thinking about pulling my engine out next month, so I'll be following your posts with interest! Arctic Cat has a special tool for pulling the flywheel off with, I picked one up fairly cheap, but don't remember where! These things are fairly easy to work on once you get past the intimidation factor! LOL

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Came across a rebuilt 700 motor on ebay for 2,495. Vendor was listed as Cat Co. ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fairmont 79. I'll check out your link and see if I can get one ordered, I saw the flywheel puller online somewhere, think it was about $35 or so. I have a pretty good service manual with photos so putting it back together once I find the stripped gear shouldn't be too bad. I'll be sure to post if I run into any issues or find easier ways to do things.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I'm tackling mine in October, wife is going to Mexico with her kid.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Broke down and ordered the Tusk Crankcase Splitter, 69.95 versus the 179.00 dollar model! Crankshaft and bearings are ordered, and getting ready to pull the motor! Took my CD manual to Ferris State University, and they printed a copy for 7.00 dollars, plus 6 - 11 X17 wiring diagrams in color! Going to busy in October!

Reactions: Stump426

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, case splitter and rotor remover tool arrived this week, and I've successfully split the case and found the offender - bevel gear. I don't know how to post a picture on here but it's ground down pretty good. When I removed it from the case the large nut that holds it in the bearing was just finger tight. Have to believe that this was the cause of the problem, shaft was loose and allowed the gear to run out and get all chewed up. All other components inside the engine look just fine. Note to the wise, there is a "hidden" case bolt top right side and it's recessed in a hole so it's hard to see - one of those long black bolts with the T30 star drive head. Started pulling and it was coming too hard, that's when I found the bolt.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Good to know on the hidden bolt! Yup, you found the culprit!

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Looking through my parts bin, and noticed I needed the clamps that go over the driveshaft boots on the XTX. Small clamps were listed at 2.89 ea., then I looked at the larger clamps. 12.95 ea.! WTF? Notified AC: Thank you for contacting the Arctic Store with this issue. After further investigation into 0423-393, there must have been a typo in the pricing process. We have corrected the price to $2.95 instead of $12.95. Unfortunately, our price changes only occur on our website once per month, and it was just updated yesterday. So to order 0423-393 at the correct cost, you will need to contact your local Arctic Cat dealership and place the order directly through them. For a list of dealers in your area, please visit Find A Dealer » Arctic Cat.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Chelsea
Arctic Cat Sales, Inc.

Reactions: Stump426

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Keep up the good work fixing all their pricing errors! I'm glad you got the price fixed on the speed sensor, saved me a bunch of money and it fixed my problem.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Wonder how many they sold at 12.95? LOL

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Got all my parts! Tusk Case Splitter arrived, it is the cheaper version. Very surprised on the quality of the piece! All the wiring is tagged, front driveshaft removed, motor mount bolts are out. Left side components are removed, taking the right side off today, motor comes out Monday!

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
The cases are in the oven! Getting ready to install new bearings throughout! I'm working two motors at the same time. All of the trans gears looked good! Debated whether or not to install a new bevel gear, but evidently AC has fixed the early model issues. I was a little concerned after pulling the car out of the sand early summer! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
How does that oil pump driven gear look? That was the big failure on my first engine. Glad to hear the bevel gears are good and hopefully I have the same upgraded gears in mine.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I upgraded the oil pump gear when the failures were first talked about! I've looked at it several times, and it is still in prime shape! I have a new oil pump going in, and made sure all f the oil passages are clean!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
what no pic's .... geeeees we thought we had you trained better than that :(

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I'll post some shortly! Replaced all f the case bearings. Pretty easy, popped them in the oven at 220 "F", had them bearing side down, and after20 minutes the bearings started dropping out! Kinda dragging my feet as I'm waiting for the wife to go to Mexico with her kid!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I find it's better to do some things when the wife's gone, too many "what the hell are you do to it now?" :laugh:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts