Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started making a roof for my Cat, only have the rear done now but should have the front done tommrow. Thinking of tilting the front down to mimic the visors on some semi-trucks, think it may be an intresting look,
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Pics are awfully small for us old farts but looks good.

The visor idea is cool but remember if you ride trees at all you are going to be snagging them. I've found leaves and twigs up under my flat mounted front.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
my 2 piece AC roof has a slight over hang and it's not in the way for the tall folks like me.. if that helps any

also suggest a rolled bead in several places to stiffen it up as the wind may cause a big flat area to wamp wamp noise [sorry couldn't think of a better way to describe the up and down noise lol ] .. a good sheet metal fab shop will have a bead roller if you don't.

·
Registered
291 Posts
my 2 piece AC roof has a slight over hang and it's not in the way for the tall folks like me.. if that helps any

also suggest a rolled bead in several places to stiffen it up as the wind may cause a big flat area to wamp wamp noise [sorry couldn't think of a better way to describe the up and down noise lol ] .. a good sheet metal fab shop will have a bead roller if you don't.
wonder what gauge metal the roof is made of, Your rite if the gauge is to light it will have some wamp wamp to it ( if thats what you call it) You can x break it to and that will take some of the wamp wamp out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I u-bolted mine to the X brace, no way it can wamp, wamp

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yea, does look good. post more pics of the progess on your top. I'm interested in what the finished top looks like. And make them a little bigger for us old folks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your roof is a lot like mine. The front visor can get ithe way of your vision so dont make it to low. I have no problems with the tinny rattling noise. There is a total of 11 dzus buttons holding the roof on with no bead rolls. Between the cage and Alum use the peel and stick foam and you will be noise free. If the pic doenst turn out look at my pics in the pics section. There is a lot of hours (welding, grinding, welding, grinding)in the front corners especially since I have rounded corners. And one more thing, on the front visor you should put a return edge on it to help keep it rigid.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my first attempt didnt work out very well, it off square by 1.5 inches so didnt line up very well, though not bad for just eyeballing it;). So scrapped that one and started fresh, this time every thing was drawen out and this time Measured, everything true and square, bent, rolled, welded, and now i just have to sand it down and prime and paint..
I did think about the womp, womp sound you all mentioned and i bolted it to the cross member as well as a few brackets ( 1 on all 4 corners) so she is very rigid. It is made out of galvanizied steel cause i dont have an aluminum welder, and is pretty thick, whole top weighs approx. 45lbs. I would perfer it to be a lot lighter, but im limited to old equipment.

I tried to take more pics today but my memory was full on my phone, so i will get more on monday when i get back to the shop.

As far as the size of the pics, i will try and make them bigger next time, Sorry about that..

I mainly just wanted this top for the trailes up in Hurley WI for memorial day ralley, and the trailes up there are wide open, so i shouldent have to many problems with trees there, when i get to more closed trailes all i need to do is just undo a few bolts, so should work out pretty good..( I hope)...:D
Thanks for all the feedback guys. And i will keep you guys up dated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I told you there was a lot swearing when I made mine. :D

I thought I'd take mine on and off also but it's so nice to have that it's never come back off.:)

Forgot to mention for others, I also used the foam pipe wrap around the X brace before bolting down with conduit clamps and bolts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep Triplej, you were right, a lot of swearing:D. After doing all the work on the original one and shaping the rear of it so it matched each side was a pain, then to find out it was off square, Yea there was a few bad words said then:eek:, but it all worked out once i found the direction i wanted to go with it..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry it took so long guys, but i got a few pics of the second try. It is almost done, just waiting on the powder coating to get done, should be ready monday, Cant wait!!:D
On the last pic you can see the mounts, once mounted in place there will be no loose metal to metal contact, so it should be nice and quiet on the trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry it took so long guys, but i got a few pics of the second try. It is almost done, just waiting on the powder coating to get done, should be ready monday, Cant wait!!:D
On the last pic you can see the mounts, once mounted in place there will be no loose metal to metal contact, so it should be nice and quiet on the trails.
Wow, looks good. What color will it be? Is that a depth finder on your dash?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, looks good. What color will it be? Is that a depth finder on your dash?
I was thinking of going with red but wife thought it may look goofy, so i went with black..
It's not a depth finder, it's a go go gadget trolling motor:DHa,ha!!
No just kiddin, thats a water proof box for my stereo, I needed that cause my wife (for some reason) likes to submarine my ATVs, And where she finds puddles that deap where we ride i will never know!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nicely done, looks good.

Would recommend putting a guard of some sort on those edges over where you get in and out if it's sharp at all though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks good, nice work btw how fast will the trolling motor push it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts