Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's what happened. I was out hunting last week when I pulled up to a water tank to check for deer tracks, Prowler was running fine, turnned it off & check for tracks. Came back to the Prowler, tried to start it & all it did was keep turrning over like ther was no spark. I could smell gas, so it seems to be getting gas. Did anyone have this problem & if so what's the fix?:confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes from the looks of your pic, I even have the same color with a full cage & a back seat. I stopped at the Arctic Cat dealer today, the didn't seem to have a clue either. They just told me to bring it in so they could take a look at it, I'm trying to avoid that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know you said you smell gas, so next question would be have you actually checked for spark? Do you have a aftermarket CDI box? Is it plugged all the way in? Coil have power to it?

If you dont have spark, at the plug then start back tracking..

Spark plug fouled?

Coil wire good? (Is there spark at the coil?) Check

Coil good?

Here are some tests you can try:
Primary Winding​
1. Connect the red tester lead to the terminal (with
the wire removed); then connect the black tester
lead to ground.
Should be Less than 1 ohm (terminal to ground)

Secondary:
Connect the red tester lead to the high tension
lead (with the plug cap removed); then connect
the black tester lead to ground
5200-7800 ohms (high tension - plug cap removed - to ground)

CDI?
Primary/CDI​
Set your meter selector to the DC Voltage position;
then disconnect the blue/white primary wire from the coil.
Connect the red tester lead to the primary wire;
then connect the black tester lead to ground.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

The meter should show 142.4-213.6 DC volts
(blue/white to ground)

With the test leads still connected, crank the
engine with the electric starter.​
The meter must show 300-450 DC volts.

You could have a magneto problem but I doubt it..

If you have spark and fuel, check the compression.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info, I will look into that this weekend. I already checked compresion when I checked the plug it seemed fine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind. I just got done checking everthing out, I think it might actually be somthing as stupid as a plug. I'm going to run in to the dealer & get a new plug in a couple of hours. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dint mean to leave anyone hangin but the stupid dealer in town didnt even have a sparck plug for my prowler! I am comming up to Phoenix/Wickenburg this week for Thanksgiving, i will have to get one there. That sucks to because my plans were to bring the prowler with to go ride. Thats not going to happen without knowing whats wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got busy over the weekend wasn't able to get a sprark yet, I guess the holidays will do that to you. Its funny how that kind of stuff gets put on hold. I will let you know as soon as i can get back to it. I really dont like seeing it all apart in my shop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got a spark plug out of Tucson last week, that didnt work. I give up, I am going to break down & take it to the dealer. Hopefully they can get it fixed by Christmas! I have poeple staying at my place Christmas & New Years. They are going to hunt pig & whitetail so that would really suck if I didnt have it fixed by then.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I finally fixed it. I took it to the dealer & they though it was the coil so I had them order me one, I put in on just before new years & it seems to be working just fine so far.:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Prowler starting problems - engineering design flaw?

I have a 2009 model 700 HI XTX. I'm on the third starter in less than 60 hours of operation. I think the problem is a lack of a compression release system; at least there's no mechanism in the parts lookup from Arctic Cat. I'm going to haul it 300 miles one-way to the dealer AGAIN, but I don't have any hope they will be able to remedy this problem.

Another problem I have is dust - the intake for the engine and the tranny are both located in the middle just above the underbody pan. It sucks up dust like a vacuum cleaner. An inch was in the bottom of the tranny during the last inspection. I've "engineered" two 1.5-inch PVC pipes to rise behind the headrests and next to either side of the roll cage. It looks crappy, but they work. I'm ordering 30" crome automotive exhaust tips to replace the PVC to make it look better, but this is really poor design that should be recalled and fixed by Arctic Cat, probably rerouting intakes near the radiator.

Finally, the emergency brake has a crimp in the cable at the pedal the way it's designed, and the cable needs a factory recall to give it a more linear routing.

I've spent $1500 in maintenance/repairs not covered under warantee, and would not recommend Arctic Cat at this time. If the repairs are made and effective, then I might change my story, because when it runs, it's awesome.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts