Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is great. Ask a question and within a few minutes we are trying to help each other.I wish i could communicate with my wife that good. Good to hear from you again Phat Cat.Hoep all is good with you.How is your cat running with the motor swap?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i had the same starting issue as you did geo.....
also changed the starter twice, it took a while for the shop to figure out what was wrong, it turned out to be compression related..the decompression valve spring was not installed properly from factory or wasn't seated right. they put in a new spring and seems to be all good. put over 1000 miles since with no issues. ...hope this helps, i know how frustrating it can be!!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dear geochemistry, with a handle like obviousman, it would occur to me that regular maintenance on air filter is mandatory when riding in dust. I have had an 06 XT and now have a 09XTZ and bot had engine air intake behind seat. One question which tranny cover did you take off that had an inch of dust in the bottom of pan. Just curious, want to check mine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I completly agree about the factory intake and exhaust piping on these machines, I don't know who engineered that part of it but should get there engineeering degree stripped from them. Luckily it's an easy fix, I just ran pvc extentions that come just above the box level, now I clean the air filter every oil change instaed of every ride and the clutches are getting clean COOL air, instaed of recycled hot, dirty air! 30.00 dollar fix from the hardware store, gotta love it!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear geochemistry, with a handle like obviousman, it would occur to me that regular maintenance on air filter is mandatory when riding in dust. I have had an 06 XT and now have a 09XTZ and bot had engine air intake behind seat. One question which tranny cover did you take off that had an inch of dust in the bottom of pan. Just curious, want to check mine.
Daily pre-start checks are mandatory (obviously!), and include knocking out the dust in the air filter (as obviousman would think to himself - duh!). Tranny cover (no not the sequined cocktail dress type) is P/N 0806-088, more-correctly listed as "V-belt cover".

Goonski, as I said, I've done the same PVC quick fix, and I'm now looking at either the two exhaust tips re-purposed for clean air (the cheaper and mas macho looking alternative), or my latest thought is to run the two intakes into a single 3" K&N cold air intake with an oiled cone filter as a prefilter. I'm going to talk to the dealer about the purpose of the "air-in duct" P/N 0513-024. I think it's mostly to increase engine sound, as there is nothing connected to it other than the air-box inlet rubber boot. I wouldn't be able to run the K&N up high, but I think there'd be better weather protection, and the dust reduction I need hidden mid-frame.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses. Prowlerbob, just funnin' ya. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Daily pre-start checks are mandatory (obviously!), and include knocking out the dust in the air filter (as obviousman would think to himself - duh!). Tranny cover (no not the sequined cocktail dress type) is P/N 0806-088, more-correctly listed as "V-belt cover".

Goonski, as I said, I've done the same PVC quick fix, and I'm now looking at either the two exhaust tips re-purposed for clean air (the cheaper and mas macho looking alternative), or my latest thought is to run the two intakes into a single 3" K&N cold air intake with an oiled cone filter as a prefilter. I'm going to talk to the dealer about the purpose of the "air-in duct" P/N 0513-024. I think it's mostly to increase engine sound, as there is nothing connected to it other than the air-box inlet rubber boot. I wouldn't be able to run the K&N up high, but I think there'd be better weather protection, and the dust reduction I need hidden mid-frame.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses. Prowlerbob, just funnin' ya. :D
Its there to cancel out intake noise. With out it, its quite loud, i have mine snorkeled up to about head level and i have to yell to talk to the passenger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its there to cancel out intake noise. With out it, its quite loud, i have mine snorkeled up to about head level and i have to yell to talk to the passenger.
Yeah, I have to yell too, but the intake sound is AWESOME!! Definitely worth the trade off IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If i could snorkel it and keep it quite I would. I hate that its that loud, its not bad for a couple of hours but after 7 or 8 it gets a little annoying.
I do lots of long days in mine and maybe it's just because I'm a motorhead, but I really love that sound man!! I got a sweet sounding set of Cobra exhaust on my motorcycle too and lots of guys look at my fairing and say "Where's the stereo"? My response? I spent $500.00 on my "Cobra" stereo and it sounds SWEET!! I do LOTS of 900-1200 km days on my bike! LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was worried about that too so i bought a Pc3 and a O2 sensor. I thought it would be real lean for sure. It was actually still rich, I ended up leaning it down a little and it ran a little better but not really worth it. I did have very tall snorkels so maybe thats why it stayed rich.

You can see them in the middle, there a little above the head rests.

·
Registered
131 Posts
did you have to change anything with the computer when you did the snorkel. i tried snorkeling my 700 efi but the prowler just didnt want to idle after so i put it back to stock for now
Didn't do anything else! It runs great!! Checked the sparkplug (the eye to the engine!) and it's runnin just fine! I started off with a snorkel set that just cleared the box, then extended it up to about 12" above the box. Unit has run great all along and sparkplug color has been great all along too!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/hammerbike/08 AC Prowler 700/100_2476.jpg?t=1265860192

Sorry, I don't have a better pic, but I think you can see them pretty good in this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Snorkels are the solution to extreme dust pollution

Hammerbike, Northern Mud, thanks for the photos! Based on more internet searching, your inputs, and speaking with the dealer, I'll be setting up snorkels too. I'll post photos of the repurposed exhaust tips, and they'll run just inside the rectangular frame, where I've currently got the PVC pipes.

Again, Thanks for all the good ideas and input, and keep the info flowing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hammerbike, Northern Mud, thanks for the photos! Based on more internet searching, your inputs, and speaking with the dealer, I'll be setting up snorkels too. I'll post photos of the repurposed exhaust tips, and they'll run just inside the rectangular frame, where I've currently got the PVC pipes.

Again, Thanks for all the good ideas and input, and keep the info flowing.
Glad it helped ya!! Make sure to posy pics when ya got it all done!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have done the short snorkels on mine, just above the box level, and have had no problems at all, runs perfect! Mine is a 2009 xtx 700, the advantage to efi is that it is self adjusting, there is no need to do anything to the computer. One thing I did notice is if you over oil your air filter, it won't idle, just a very light coating of oil is all thats needed. The only time a efi controller is needed is if you add an aftermaket exhaust and air filter, like a speedwerks kit, then it will run lean or you add a turbo or supercharger. By snorkeling your not changing things enough for the computer to adjust a whole lot, the only thing I wanted to do was get the air intake away from where it was, now even on the dustiest rides my filter is still reasonably clean, where before it would be plugged.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have done the short snorkels on mine, just above the box level, and have had no problems at all, runs perfect! Mine is a 2009 xtx 700, the advantage to efi is that it is self adjusting, there is no need to do anything to the computer. One thing I did notice is if you over oil your air filter, it won't idle, just a very light coating of oil is all thats needed. The only time a efi controller is needed is if you add an aftermaket exhaust and air filter, like a speedwerks kit, then it will run lean or you add a turbo or supercharger. By snorkeling your not changing things enough for the computer to adjust a whole lot, the only thing I wanted to do was get the air intake away from where it was, now even on the dustiest rides my filter is still reasonably clean, where before it would be plugged.
The EFI system on these do not compensate for anything. For the system to know if there is more air moving it needs to have a Mass Air Flow sensor. It just happens to be rich enough to handle the add air flow. Just remember that every bike is different so check you plug and make sure your not lean. If you run it lean it can take your rings out fairly quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
won't crank

I posted this a year ago and the problem still haunts me. My 650 carb. prowler cranks over very slowly 50% of the time. it is like almost dead when you turn the key and will catch now and again.

New full charged battery.
HELP please

21 - 40 of 45 Posts