Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. After sitting the Artic cat is hard to start. After cranking a few times it starts. it is like the carb drains. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a priming lever that some have rigged a chain to so you don't have to tear machine apart to use it

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
starting

10-4 on that on my third battery in 6 years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a priming lever that some have rigged a chain to so you don't have to tear machine apart to use it
Instead of using the priming lever, has anyone installed a priming bulb like the one that is used on boats to prime the carb? If it works on a boat it should work on our cats. Just my .02. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I am going to pick up a primer bulb and install. I am just curious if i should put before pump or after? Any input greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Our F.D. has a brush truck that uses a commercial setup for the water pump. It has a small engine that has the same kind of fuel pump as our prowlers and a fuel tank like a outboard motor on this setup from the manufacture the priming bulb is before the fuel pump. I'll try to get a pic at the station today. We don't use the primer very often due to daily truck checks.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I wouldn't think it would make much difference, one way your pushing the fuel through the entire system and the other your pulling it through the pump & pushing it to the carb. Easy access to the primer would be my biggest concern, where do you plan to mount the bulb?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure yet Have to pick it up tomorrow and then kind of lok around for the best spot. Will put up some pics when I am done. Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just my input.. I would not put it after the pump.. The main point of a primer bulb (like on an outboard) is to supply fuel up to the pressure valve in the fuel pump. When you feel a primer bulb tighten up after a couple pumps it means the fuel has reached the pressure valve, not necessarily the carb. I would imagine that if the bulb is after the pump either you will pump the bulb until tight which may temporarily collapse your fuel line between the bulb and pump, or you will suck it through the pump all the way to the carb and if that happens the bulb will not fully pressurize. It MIGHT flood you out by filling the carb with gas everytime you pump it. I could be wrong because I'm basing this off outboards. I spent 4 years servicing and rigging outboards. Just my 2 cents but I have been wrong once before..maybe..I think...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts