Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On about 2 of my last 5 rides, it seams like I run out of gas. I blow in the vent and let it sit for a few and then it starts back up and runs fine. I was wondering if I should replace the fuel pump? I'm sure there is a screen on the pick up tube at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking of taking it off and going with an inline filter....any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
trash in carb ? yes to your idea also , fuel line original / condition .. vapor locked / line close to heat ? .. while your at it do a carb rebuild/cleaning

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trash in carb ? yes to your idea also , fuel line original / condition .. vapor locked / line close to heat ? .. while your at it do a carb rebuild/cleaning
Thanks Gary. You back in Reno yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On about 2 of my last 5 rides, it seams like I run out of gas. I blow in the vent and let it sit for a few and then it starts back up and runs fine. I was wondering if I should replace the fuel pump? I'm sure there is a screen on the pick up tube at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking of taking it off and going with an inline filter....any ideas? Thanks!
Rather than blowing into the line, try sucking, without swallowing any gas. If it is the tank screen you will get very little gas in the mouth. This is also where the bottle of jack comes in handy after the mouth full of gas test. Oh, smoking is also not advised during this test. This sounds like a xxx production!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
How soon after driving does it act up? Any chance your float is stuck?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Thanks Gary. You back in Reno yet?
yes for a couple days before I go back to Coeur d'Alene to get my trailer full of garage "stuff" and finish off emptying the shop .. a bunch to do and short time to do it before snow fly's there .... got to fix truck oil leak and new found water leak [water pump or O-ring gasket]

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know a mechanic that had that problem on a brp 650 with a carb. it would idle fine rev up but when under load it would sputter. Turned out to be the fuel pump. It was sucking gas through the vacuum tube or pulse line what ever you want to call it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. going to just replace fuel pump and all hoses. remove tank screen and go with inline filter. It will give my something to do while my Engine/Tranny is being rebuilt. I downloaded the service manual from that lawnmower place and it says to replace fuel line/vent tubing every 2 years.{I think that's what it said} been awhile since I read it.......But to answer the question, It does it about 15 minutes or so into the ride. Acts like its running out of fuel

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Haven't ever replaced my hoses, maybe I should take a look at them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I installed an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. It is a cheap option for a little extra reassurance.......

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Haven't ever replaced my hoses, maybe I should take a look at them.
they get old and crack and allow air in before they leak fuel out .. cheep to replace and also they allow internal breakdown of the line = carpola in the carb. cheep PM servicing there

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Every 2 years seems to be a little overkill to me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I run a inline filter also,it can be taken apart and cleaned.
Did you leave the screen in the tank? along with the inline filter

·
Registered
12 Posts
That pickup screen needs cleaning and you will be surprised at what comes out. Remove from pump and use carb cleaner spray and air until it seems clear, spray outside and inside, air from inside. Also there is a foam rubber fitting at top of fuel pump to bracket that eventually leaks over time causing a whinnnning sound like a fan, I flipped mine over and added a couple O-rings under to create more pressure at fitting, seems to help.
The breather tube is mounted up front so when you hammer water holes there is a chance of sucking in some dirty water so I sucked out tank and cleaned bottom. Runs great again.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
That pickup screen needs cleaning and you will be surprised at what comes out. Remove from pump and use carb cleaner spray and air until it seems clear, spray outside and inside, air from inside. Also there is a foam rubber fitting at top of fuel pump to bracket that eventually leaks over time causing a whinnnning sound like a fan, I flipped mine over and added a couple O-rings under to create more pressure at fitting, seems to help.
The breather tube is mounted up front so when you hammer water holes there is a chance of sucking in some dirty water so I sucked out tank and cleaned bottom. Runs great again.
Good info.........glad its running good again.............:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Another good thing to do is install a fuel filter on your vent line. Yes you heard right. Prevents dust from getting in you tank. Rzr guys do it all the time. Dust is your engines worst nightmare.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not a bad idea! Thanks Rob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you! I will do all that stuff. I am going to buy a new pump just because, only $35.00. If I put an in line filter on, would it even help? since there is a screen in the tank. or would it make sense to remove screen completely and use an inline/accessible filter?
Mike, I know you run both! do you catch a lot of sediment in your filter even with the tank screen?
Also the filter in the vent line is a great idea, I have been using a piece of foam rubber, but it doesn't last long and I know fuel will melt it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts