Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran the XTZ pretty hard this past weekend, the drive pulley ended up coming apart, but when we stopped to check out the problem, we noticed the exhaust pipe and muffler was glowing bright red. The heat shields seemed to be doing their job of keeping the heat away from anything that could catch fire, but still was a bit of concern. We had been running 45-55mph in whooped out sandwashes for about 45 minutes.

Just a FYI so that any of you with XTZs can keep an eye on your exhaust and muffler. That very well could be a problem if your heat shields have been damaged or removed or if weeds get up into that area or your machine.
I think it's time for that Muzzy Dual Exhaust and new shields for me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I remember my ltr450 head pipe would glow red as well.

Do you think its a condition of running too lean? I was thinking of running the muzzys and the muzzys fuel controller until the dynatek comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it was running lean, but I have it in the shop now and when I get a chance to work on it, that's one of the first things I'm checking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
The only time I have seen that happen down here was on a quad and the reason turned out to be that it was running too lean. A Dynojet R&D guy lives down here and he told me the power commander is available for the 1000 engine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
The Muzzy stainless piping is very thin and I know mine is very rich and it glows to the point it is pretty much see through. I am not worried about it, just make sure nothing is touching it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
Don't forget that the length and diameter of the head pipe has a lot to do with the back pressure. So if you take a 1 1/2 head pipe and run it to a 2 inch diameter straight through glass packed muffler where do you think the real back pressure is?It is in the head pipe on a muzzy style exhaust. Let me explain myself. In the exhaust cycle or event 90 percent of the exhaust flow is cause by heat and expansion. Not by the piston pushing the exhaust out.The piston completing the exhaust stroke takes care of the other 10 percent lets say. So in other words as soon as the exhaust valve opens the cylinder pressure that made the power is still looking to push on something. And of course it wants to take the easiest route to get there.And it is leaving a cylinder of a lot more diameter than the head pipe. So while it is exiting not only is it hot and still trying to expand it is being forced to exit through a 1 1/2 head pipe. Now I know what you are thinking... Just take the exhaust totally off and we will be even faster. Well it does not work that way. If the exhaust exits to fast it can pull some of the fresh intake charge of fuel and air out with it. So that is why some back pressure is good.
The fact that the stock exhaust gets red hot is a good thing performance wise in my opinion. Of course it has a two into one collector to deal with also. The fact that the muffler is red hot in my opinion is not the end of the world but it just tells me it is pretty restrictive.
Also mild steel conducts heat 20-30 percent better than stainless. So it will radiate a lot more heat than stainless will.
Good point on the coating. They work well in my opinion.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Anybody else have a drive pulley come apart? I think my machine has those symptoms, but too cold to have a look just now. How does it happen, how complicated is the fix?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top