Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new here and also a new SxS rider

My XTZ seams to be very challenged in the shock dept. they are stock and have had no adjusting. My ride areas are mountain fire road/log roads/skidder paths with alot of rutted roads and many hills/steep mountain climbs lots of rock shale and rock roads in the 4" to 2' range .. many of the trails are rock garden for long distance, ok for that part of the story

Im a regular sized feller 6'7" and in the 350ish range depending on the camp cooks ability on any given day :) , don't always take the "proper line" on the trail or mountain we're climbing. somewhat of a newer rider but have a pretty good background in dirt bikes and some 4x4 CJ7 stuff so not a total newby to off road.

anyway my main question is , I have noticed that the stock shocks are not what I would call "the best" lol .. is there anything that you guys have done to improve them or extend the time of use before going to after market better quality ones ?

maybe a spacer under the spring to preload before taking / making all the adjustment into them .. thinking that would help compensate for my normal size dainty body loading them and removing some of the clearance or travel.

any suggestions would be great ...

btw snow is falling and it's in low to the mid teens temp outside now so the snow should cap/crust over making for some good riding tomorrow and sunday.

my ride is a stock '09 XTZ with right at 200 miles and a bit over a week old

THANKS for looking Gary

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I turned mine all the way tight, showing as much of the threads as possible. This helped lesson the bottoming out I was getting in the rear. I ran it like that for a while and then went to aftermarket shocks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was one of those guys that changed out the springs on the rear end and it made a world of difference. The stock springs are 210lb and the replacement ones that I got from Prestige are 350lb. The rear end of my prowler was sagging really bad and I was bottoming out all over the place with the stock springs. After I put the new ones on I got the ground clearance back and the ride was so much better. Contact Mike at Prestige Motorsports and he will take care of you.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was one of those guys that changed out the springs on the rear end and it made a world of difference. The stock springs are 210lb and the replacement ones that I got from Prestige are 350lb. The rear end of my prowler was sagging really bad and I was bottoming out all over the place with the stock springs. After I put the new ones on I got the ground clearance back and the ride was so much better. Contact Mike at Prestige Motorsports and he will take care of you.
With the heavier spring are you softening up the shock all the way then?

thanks, that's what I thought I might have to do to help and extend the time / use of these.

another friend of mine with a different brand [and a bit different rear end arrangement] has a fab business ... anyway he cut /machined some 2" spacers and installed under the springs on all 4 corners .. help and improved his 2wd polaris a ton .. he takes this rig into places most 4x4's fear during Elk hunt .. the past 3 years has come out loaded with a dressed full bull in back. however he is about half nuts .. his youth v/s age and "wisdom" speaking here LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a fully lightened machine that has no bed and I used QA1 14" 250# 2.5" Coil Over springs at summit for $34 The model number is 14-250 from QA1. This worked great for me but is very light compared to what others have used for 4 seat setups they are using 14-350. If you have yours setup mostly stock I would buy the QA1 14" 300# 2.5" spring. Look it up at summit they are very cheap and work realy well, this upgrade for me completely changed the way my vehicle handled all for the better.

·
Registered
463 Posts
would you use those summit springs on all four corners or a lighter rate in front?

·
Registered
166 Posts
With the heavier spring are you softening up the shock all the way then?
the adjuster nut on mine is pretty loose with the new springs. With the old springs I had it tightened down almost all the way and now I have about 8 threads showing on the top. I jacked the rear end up off the ground, tightened it by hand as much as I could (about 7 threads showing) then used a spanner wrench to give it a little more.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a fully lightened machine that has no bed and I used QA1 14" 250# 2.5" Coil Over springs at summit for $34 The model number is 14-250 from QA1. This worked great for me but is very light compared to what others have used for 4 seat setups they are using 14-350. If you have yours setup mostly stock I would buy the QA1 14" 300# 2.5" spring. Look it up at summit they are very cheap and work realy well, this upgrade for me completely changed the way my vehicle handled all for the better.
thanks .. I'll look at that also ..

my rig will never see 4 seat configuration , but my personal weight might approach the weight of seats and a couple kids in back LOL

I think I might give the name listed above a call and get some info/suggestions on spring rate weight v/s load weight .. driver and gear

Gary

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another thing to think about with a spacer instead of replacing the springs is that the stockers will start to bow if they haven't already and the springs will rub on the shock bodies. IMO its best just to replace the springs all together.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I had the same problem with It dragging on rocks,So I went with legend air ride.You can adjust it up an extra 2+ inches or lower it down to load in a toy hauler.It come in a complete kit with compressor(www.legendoffroad.com/offroad/index.php/lacp2fr.html)I have an extra kit for $1500.00 for the complete kit for all four [email protected] 775-690-8918

How is the air ride? Is there any adjustment that you can make compression/rebound?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts