Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Got a stereo in my prowler,plays great even changed it for another new one,well here goes,when i am ridding it the stereo goes on and off a lot it is wired straight to the battery,mostly when i let up on my gas and the engine braking coms in,but not all the time its still does it when i am giving it gas also, sometimes the sound will go off and come right back on but mostly the power will flicker on and off a lot,checked wiring,i have checked everthing on the simple basis.
Had some guys following me the other night and they said that my lights was flikering real fast on occasions,also my headlights dim when the fan comes on and it takes a real long time for the lights to come back up the bright.I checked the battery while the machine was running and reved it up and i get around 14.8 volts.The battery acts like it is a little weak at times but i dont know it want crank long and it is dead.The more i run the prowler the wrose the system acts up,it want herdly act up when it is cold, it is a charging prolem or something,it is taking it by spells i wonder if it could be the rectifer,( voltage regulator). or the battery shorting out or what.:confused: neve seen one do this.It is acting strange i dont know what to do to start to find the problem it is getting wrose ever time i ride,have any of you had a similar problem like this?
Any info will help me check this thing out.
thanks
terminals and grounds all tight:confused:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was going to guess grounds or broke wire. You could check ohms on the wires.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my headlights go real dim also when the fan kicks on, still haven't figured that one out yet, but i don't have a stereo, nothing added electrical wise.

·
Registered
491 Posts
graveyard , electrical problems can drive a guy nuts! sounds like you checked your basics . next thing needs to be go through and get all grounds on a XTZ there is 2 main ground wires on the rear cylinder . mine were loose . if that doesnt fix anything . you need to hook up a voltmeter and recheck voltage with all the lights , radio and any thing else you usually have on , this is a good way to load test the charging system . if it drops below 12.8 you have too much load on the stator and it is not capable of charging the battery . check at idle and revd up . also check the plug coming out of the stator make sure each wire is secure inthe plug . it does sound as if you do have a problem in the stator, the way it affects when accelerating and deceling. but it could be as simple as a power wire rubbed and grounding aginst the frame some where . the engine vibration can easily cause this symptom. wiggle the harnesses around with the engine running and voltmeter attached . watch the volts and see if you can trace down a short .

hope some of this helps ,
soazcat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try this,my prowler is a xtx 700 i forget to tell you guys,i will get started on it todaymi will keep you informed on the situtation.
thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
You need to run a ground from the Battery to the frame this is something I've told cat time and time again. The ground from the battery to the engine is insufficient. Also the stator on the XTZ is a real piece there is a after market one that actually works I'll get a part # and post it asap.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the problem guys today,it belive it or not it was the key switch,i pulled it out and it was half unpluged and also had a small spad terminal bent inside the housing,i bent the terminal back and it snap right in place and so far no more problem.
thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
491 Posts
I found the problem guys today,it belive it or not it was the key switch,i pulled it out and it was half unpluged and also had a small spad terminal bent inside the housing,i bent the terminal back and it snap right in place and so far no more problem.
thanks for the help guys

lol ,ya theres that too ! lol glad it was that ez ! sometimes we all forget to check the simple things first !

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats what I was going to say. Lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have a 08 xtx and the lights dim the same way, and after a stereo install when i let off the gas the stereo power goes on and off, usually when the engine is cold. the power for the amp comes off the batt. 30 amp wire, never had problems with batt or not starting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm every time i turn my stereo on i loose horsepower ???? any ideas?

lol had to be a smart ass !

slumbert , check everything we talked about here. it should point ya in the right direction . sounds like you have a bad connection some where.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts