Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 1000 with a loud winding/pinging/high pitched noise. Did about 100 miles this weekend and maybe 40 of those were with this noise. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would be quiet and normal. Also, when I would come to a stop during one of it's "episodes" it had a real rough idle. I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should add that it's definitely coming from the engine compartment. And it makes more noise when on the gas compared to coasting down hill or to a stop.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mine is a loud gear whine over 20 mph and goes quiet over 40. On deceleration it also is less. Havent had time to shove the boroscope in the gear case lately

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have an '09 1000 with a loud winding/pinging/high pitched noise. Did about 100 miles this weekend and maybe 40 of those were with this noise. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would be quiet and normal. Also, when I would come to a stop during one of it's "episodes" it had a real rough idle. I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?
I read in the previous thread about a problem that seems to afflict certain '99 XTZ's.. I'm not the expert here but this thread should steer you in the right direction.. it had something to do with a low oil pressure and thrust washer failure I think.. anyhow.. these guys know a LOT more than I do.. hope this helps man, good luck.. Soazcat seems to be really knowledgable on this subject.. from experience..

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/arctic-cat-prowler-general-discussions/3128-updated-xtz-transmission.html

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it sounds like the transmission,does it do it under acceleration and not so much on coast?
Yep, but it's kind of intermittent. That's why I'm confused. The first 10 miles of this ride it was loud and making all kinds of noise then it went away and was totally normal for about 30 miles, then it came back later in the day. The next day, same thing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Chance

its very possible that you too are having the famous trans problems . best thing and easy to do is remove the center skid plate to access the drain plug . drain the oil in a clean container aand save the oil . look for a very metallic shine and any small pieces that look like a thrust washer . or metal flakes . next remove the 4 bolt plate on the bottom of the motor that the drian plug screws into . this will allow you to put your finger and /or a magnet in the bottom of the motor. fish around and see if you find any chunks laying in the bottom .

the whinning noise is possibly the result of the gear stack moving back and forth on the transmission shafts causing a poor alighnment or mesh of the gears . just like not setting the correct lash on a differential on a truck . this causes alot of heat on the gears and will cause them to break .

do you have any warranty left ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can also remove three screws on the bumped out cover where you check your oil. That will let you look directly under the transmission cross shaft's, for debris

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chance

its very possible that you too are having the famous trans problems . best thing and easy to do is remove the center skid plate to access the drain plug . drain the oil in a clean container aand save the oil . look for a very metallic shine and any small pieces that look like a thrust washer . or metal flakes . next remove the 4 bolt plate on the bottom of the motor that the drian plug screws into . this will allow you to put your finger and /or a magnet in the bottom of the motor. fish around and see if you find any chunks laying in the bottom .

the whinning noise is possibly the result of the gear stack moving back and forth on the transmission shafts causing a poor alighnment or mesh of the gears . just like not setting the correct lash on a differential on a truck . this causes alot of heat on the gears and will cause them to break .

do you have any warranty left ?
That's not really what I want to hear. Warranty ended last month.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple more questions. If it is the transmission why would this crazy sound be intermittent? Also, I know it's a long shot, but could replacing the stator have anything to do with the tranny side? Reason I ask is right before the warranty ended, I took it to the dealer because the stator was failing. Charging system wasn't working and I found metal flakes in the oil.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The stator is bolted to the inside of the side cover and the flywheel is on the crankshaft. If the noise was coming from there it would be because one of them were loose and your stator would be junk and it would not run. The transmission noise will do it only under a torque load "power" if you lift your foot any at all the noise will stop. I think if you were not on a road and were in a field you could be letting allowing your foot to bounce hence the intermittent sound. Unless the stator and flywheel were making contact there should have been no metal coming from there

·
Registered
491 Posts
hows the starter working ? when you pull the stator out of a XTZ there is several sets of gears the go back to the starter . and there is a one way clutch on the inside of the stator unless something has happened to that one way clutch (which could be possible ) since they had it apart . that could explain a loud noise but it would destroy the starter motor . so unless the starter motor is giving you problems it most likely in the transmission ,

the intermitted noise is because of the gears becoming misalighned with each other . improper gear lash . many of us have all had the same problem and we all have hoped it was something different .

as for the stator going out and metal in the oil it sounds to me that youve have the trans problem for some time and the metal particles built up on the magnets on the stator causing it not to build a good charge . there is NO moving parts on a stator to cause metal flakes the magnetic pick up secures to the crank and spins around the windings . unless they contact each other which can only happen if you loose a crank bearing or the windings come unbolted from the case .

sorry to be full of bad news and i hope for your wallets sake thats its something alot more simple . if you need anything feel free ask

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hows the starter working ? when you pull the stator out of a XTZ there is several sets of gears the go back to the starter . and there is a one way clutch on the inside of the stator unless something has happened to that one way clutch (which could be possible ) since they had it apart . that could explain a loud noise but it would destroy the starter motor . so unless the starter motor is giving you problems it most likely in the transmission ,

the intermitted noise is because of the gears becoming misalighned with each other . improper gear lash . many of us have all had the same problem and we all have hoped it was something different .

as for the stator going out and metal in the oil it sounds to me that youve have the trans problem for some time and the metal particles built up on the magnets on the stator causing it not to build a good charge . there is NO moving parts on a stator to cause metal flakes the magnetic pick up secures to the crank and spins around the windings . unless they contact each other which can only happen if you loose a crank bearing or the windings come unbolted from the case .

sorry to be full of bad news and i hope for your wallets sake thats its something alot more simple . if you need anything feel free ask
Hmm, so are you saying the dealer should have looked deeper into this issue? I flat out told them that I found metal flakes on the drain plug when I changed the oil and that I was having charging issues. They put in a new stator and called it good. They said the stator was wearing out causing the metal to be found in the oil.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hmm, so are you saying the dealer should have looked deeper into this issue? I flat out told them that I found metal flakes on the drain plug when I changed the oil and that I was having charging issues. They put in a new stator and called it good. They said the stator was wearing out causing the metal to be found in the oil.

what a dealer SHOULD have done and what they are willing to do is a battle all of us have had too many times to count . im not going to start a battle over what they should have done because i myself have been through that and it ended really ugly !

IMO yes they should have gone deeper but since you said that it wasnt charging they fixed that and gave it back .typical :rolleyes:

now if you have a good relationship with your dealer sit down with the service manager and explain to them that your AC was in for metal in the oil and a charging problem . they fixed what they thought wasa charging problem but failed to look into or address what caused the charging problem . ie possible transmission problem ..... take it from there if they are willing to work with you then you may be able to have your cat fixed with little to nothing out of your pocket . dont demand that they make this right . be diplomatic and work toward a resolution that benifits both of you .

the transmission failure are a known problem with AC but they are yet to publicly announce it . most likely with the huge recall of every machine made in 09 . how long ago did your warranty run out . and how many mile have been put on it since the last warranty repair all of this info you need to have ready before you talk first to the dealer . good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what a dealer SHOULD have done and what they are willing to do is a battle all of us have had too many times to count . im not going to start a battle over what they should have done because i myself have been through that and it ended really ugly !

IMO yes they should have gone deeper but since you said that it wasnt charging they fixed that and gave it back .typical :rolleyes:

now if you have a good relationship with your dealer sit down with the service manager and explain to them that your AC was in for metal in the oil and a charging problem . they fixed what they thought wasa charging problem but failed to look into or address what caused the charging problem . ie possible transmission problem ..... take it from there if they are willing to work with you then you may be able to have your cat fixed with little to nothing out of your pocket . dont demand that they make this right . be diplomatic and work toward a resolution that benifits both of you .

the transmission failure are a known problem with AC but they are yet to publicly announce it . most likely with the huge recall of every machine made in 09 . how long ago did your warranty run out . and how many mile have been put on it since the last warranty repair all of this info you need to have ready before you talk first to the dealer . good luck
Well, I took your advice and dropped it off at the dealer. They drained the oil and found more metal, did a little test drive and he said he didn't have to go 5 feet before he heard the sound. So, they called Cat Care and they didn't say that they'd cover it nor did they say they would. Basically, they want the dealer to tear it down, determine what the problem is and send them a bunch of pics. Then they'll decide what will happen. However, I had to agree to the cost of the tear down should Cat Care decide not to take care of the issue. Cross your fingers for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
make sure they look at the transmission cross shaft. You need to be very persuasive about the metal debris throughout the engine and do not take no for an answer. So they will cover your engine and install a gen 2 with the new transmission!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to give a little update. Cat Care agreed to take care of all the repairs! Still don't have it back yet but the dealer is waiting on a couple backordered parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts