Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To My Fellow UTV Enthusiasts,
I am a Texas dealer of Arctic Cat ATV’s & UTV’s.
One of the most frequent questions that I get from customers who come in looking for a UTV is; can I make it street legal?
At this point in time, my only answer to them is “I’m not sure why, but NO”.
I am at a point where I am looking for an ally or allies to challenge this.
A UTV can easily be outfitted with turn signals, rearview mirrors, lighted license plate holders, etc.
Considering everything from motorcycles, to some of the tiny little “green” three wheeled death-traps that are being licensed daily, I can see absolutely no reason why they cannot be made street legal.
As a dealer, I can easily provide & create a UTV that fulfills every safety requirement that the State of Texas requires for a car. If I can find an ally (lawyer?), I will provide the vehicle and more, if you might be willing to take this issue up with me.
Case in point- In the early days of the HOV lanes for Houston freeways, two passengers was the law. A local attorney set out to deliberately be ticketed in order to form a basis for a challenge, based upon a little known federal law. He pushed the matter through the courts, and succeeded in opening these lanes to single rider motorcyclists, since the bikes are registered vehicles, and meet all legal and safety requirements.
I am in the process of researching the “catch” that makes a DMV clerk say no. I believe that I have it narrowed down, at least partially, and it is simply a trivial little bit of wording in the DMV code.

If anyone can help with information and/or guidance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Weimer
Brazos Cycles & Motorsports
714 Hwy 90A-East
Richmond, Tx. 77406
281-342-1806- Shop
832-744-8388- Cell

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
To My Fellow UTV Enthusiasts,
I am a Texas dealer of Arctic Cat ATV’s & UTV’s.
One of the most frequent questions that I get from customers who come in looking for a UTV is; can I make it street legal?
At this point in time, my only answer to them is “I’m not sure why, but NO”.
I am at a point where I am looking for an ally or allies to challenge this.
A UTV can easily be outfitted with turn signals, rearview mirrors, lighted license plate holders, etc.
Considering everything from motorcycles, to some of the tiny little “green” three wheeled death-traps that are being licensed daily, I can see absolutely no reason why they cannot be made street legal.
As a dealer, I can easily provide & create a UTV that fulfills every safety requirement that the State of Texas requires for a car. If I can find an ally (lawyer?), I will provide the vehicle and more, if you might be willing to take this issue up with me.
Case in point- In the early days of the HOV lanes for Houston freeways, two passengers was the law. A local attorney set out to deliberately be ticketed in order to form a basis for a challenge, based upon a little known federal law. He pushed the matter through the courts, and succeeded in opening these lanes to single rider motorcyclists, since the bikes are registered vehicles, and meet all legal and safety requirements.
I am in the process of researching the “catch” that makes a DMV clerk say no. I believe that I have it narrowed down, at least partially, and it is simply a trivial little bit of wording in the DMV code.

If anyone can help with information and/or guidance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Weimer
Brazos Cycles & Motorsports
714 Hwy 90A-East
Richmond, Tx. 77406
281-342-1806- Shop
832-744-8388- Cell
Here in Arizona it dosent take much to make a Prowler street legal Mirror,Horn,Plate bracket But to tell the truth they really are not really street legal because of the non DOT legal tires. They are tittled as a Motorcycle but you dont need a MC license to drive one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
this is something that you need to contact the vehicle inspector at a Tx DMV. they could tell you what in your state law prohibits UTVs from being registered for On highway use . here in AZ you can get almost anything registered for the highway use. it must meet some very minor requirement like Joes said tail/brake , license plate light , horn . they are not required to have turn signals , if you run a Full glass windsheild it must have a wiper for the driver side .

alot of states require emissions testing for ALL vehicals registered for the street . calif and new mexico wont let them on the road either if they are registered in those states but we AZ guys can run our cars on CA and NM roads :cool: !

·
Registered
199 Posts
I as-well have been looking here in MN into laws of legal street use, but seems that every law man, DMV, or other maker of the law, and i just keep getting the same answer and wierd look from all of them.
But really courious to know, cause i would love to run this thing through town.:D

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
In North Dakota they are legal on county roads and state hiways licenced as utv's but not in towns. They are overlooked in most towns unless you are doing something stupid.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You guys that are street legal are very lucky. I guarantee you that Alabama would never legalize sxs. We have no vehicle inspection, and i see vehicles on a daily basis in my rural area that have no business on public hiways and my prowler could prob out run. Go figure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When SxS first came out,here in Canada,they tryed too have them legal for secondary-roads " speed limites of less than 50 mph , but two provinces turned it down...I live in one of them !! Nova Scotia :mad:!Anyway... it would be nice to be able to run in the woods and come out and hit the road !!I don't think I would be too thrilled to drive in a town ,but on back "dirt" roads, It would be nice at times....keep up on trying to get side by side's street legal..someday it will happen and well will be ready for it :D. Right now I am makeing a rear bumper with tail/brake and turn lights made in it also !!Another week or soo and I will be done and I will post pics of it !!:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
A sheriff dep. told me last week that if I put a slow moving vec. sign on the rear and drove under 25 mph ( the top speed for S.M.V. ) I would be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy from Texas!!

We too, have many areas where common sense is part of our law enforcement community, and there are no problems.

My goal is to create a way that the legal statute will simply be the law, regardless of who is tasked with being the enforcer.

Thank y'all so much for your responses, and keep my idea in your mind.
I am ready to scrap a bit, even with Texas DMV, or DPS.

I hope that each and every one of you have a wonderful new year.

Howdy from Texas. Drop in anytime y'all feel like getting out and playing. I am always up for anything.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an additional thought

My partner in this endeavor, Lisa, is one of those really cool, knowledgeable, and ................crazy wild type of chicks that we mostly don't want our wives to know that we are communicating with.
But, it's all good and innocent.
Please get with Lisa if I am not immediately available.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We too, have many areas where common sense is part of our law enforcement community, and there are no problems.

My goal is to create a way that the legal statute will simply be the law, regardless of who is tasked with being the enforcer.

Thank y'all so much for your responses, and keep my idea in your mind.
I am ready to scrap a bit, even with Texas DMV, or DPS.

I hope that each and every one of you have a wonderful new year.

Howdy from Texas. Drop in anytime y'all feel like getting out and playing. I am always up for anything.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, you might check for rural customers, the farm to market laws. In NM, if a farmer has a slow moving vehicle sign on the utv, then some areas are letting them drive them under 25mph.

But we are in the same delimma, trying to get support for making UTVs street legal on roads, 50mph or less. We are putting together a set of laws/regs based on Utah and Arizona's laws, then trying to get a State Congressman to introduce a bill making them legal.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi Guys,

New Guy here and in New Hampshire I just got this same thing passed by the state and we are now classified as a tractor, I would have liked to personally seen it as a modified low speed vehicle but will post up what RSA's were involved.

Tim
CHAPTER 309

SB 150 – FINAL VERSION
  • 01/13/10 0096s
    14Apr2010… 0945h
    06/02/10 2192CofC
    06/02/10 2414eba
    2010 SESSION
    09-0226
    06/09
    SENATE BILL 150
AN ACT relative to low-speed utility vehicles and relative to registration fees for certain special number plates for veterans.
  • SPONSORS: Sen. Letourneau, Dist 19; Sen. Carson, Dist 14; Sen. Gilmour, Dist 12; Rep. Packard, Rock 3; Rep. Chandler, Carr 1
    COMMITTEE: Transportation and Interstate Cooperation
    AMENDED ANALYSIS
    This bill:
    I. Requires certain special equipment for low-speed utility vehicles.
    II. Clarifies the fees required for special number plates for certain veterans.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.
    Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]
    Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.
    01/13/10 0096s
    14Apr2010… 0945h
    06/02/10 2192CofC
    06/02/10 2414eba
    09-0226
    06/09
    STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Ten
AN ACT relative to low-speed utility vehicles and relative to registration fees for certain special number plates for veterans.
  • Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

309:1 Words and Phrases Defined; Tractor. Amend RSA 259:108 to read as follows:
    259:108 Tractor. “Tractor” shall mean:
    I. Any self-propelled vehicle designed or used as a traveling power plant or for drawing other vehicles, but having no provision for carrying a load, but shall not include off-highway recreational vehicles not designed and equipped for highway use.
    II. Any low-speed utility vehicle. “Low-speed utility vehicle” shall mean any vehicle with 4 wheels, an internal combustion or electric motor, or both, a load capacity of 1,500 pounds or less, and high-pressure tires, that is capable of carrying not more than 2 occupants plus the load, is capable of speeds 30 miles per hour or less on level ground, and is used for agricultural or light industrial use.
    309:2 New Subdivision; Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. Amend RSA 266 by inserting after section 114 the following new subdivision:

Low-Speed Utility Vehicles

266:115 Equipment Required for Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. A low-speed utility vehicle as defined in RSA 259:108, II shall be equipped in accordance with 49 C.F.R. section 571.500. This equipment shall include headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, a parking brake, a rearview exterior mirror, a windshield, windshield wiper, brakes, seat belts, a vehicle identification number, and such other equipment as is required by federal regulations. Such vehicle may also use a flashing amber warning light when operating on a way.
    309:3 New Subdivision; Special Rules for Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. Amend RSA 265 by inserting after section 159 the following new subdivision:

Special Rules for Low-Speed Utility Vehicles

265:160 Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. No person shall operate a low-speed utility vehicle, as defined in RSA 259:108, II, except on a way where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. No person shall operate such vehicle more than 25 miles from the registrant’s residence or place of business.
    309:4 Special Number Plates for Certain Veterans. RSA 261:86, II is repealed and reenacted to read as follows:
    II. Plates furnished pursuant to subparagraphs I(a)-(c) shall be issued without charge. Plates furnished pursuant to subparagraphs I(d) and (e) shall be issued without the $4 per plate fees under RSA 261:75 but shall require payment of the regular registration fee. Notwithstanding RSA 265:73 or any other law, any person who is issued a plate pursuant to subparagraphs I(c)-(e) shall not be entitled to free parking privileges for disabled veterans, except that a person who qualifies for special plates pursuant to subparagraph I(d) may be issued an additional special plate for a motorcycle.
    309:5 Refund of Registration Fees. Any veteran excused from registration fees under RSA 261:86, I(a)-(c) between August 7, 2009 and the effective date of this section shall be entitled to a refund of the fees paid.
    309:6 New Subdivision; Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. Amend RSA 266 by inserting after section 115 the following new subdivision:

Low-Speed Utility Vehicles

266:116 Equipment Required for Low-Speed Utility Vehicles. A low-speed utility vehicle as defined in RSA 259:108, II shall be equipped in accordance with 49 C.F.R. section 571.500. This equipment shall include headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, a parking brake, a rearview exterior mirror, a windshield, windshield wiper, brakes, seat belts, a vehicle identification number, and such other equipment as is required by federal regulations. Such vehicle may also use a flashing amber warning light when operating on a way.
    309:7 Contingency. If SB 457 of the 2010 general legislative session becomes law, section 6 of this act shall take effect 60 days after its passage and section 2 of this act shall not take effect. If SB 457 does not become law, section 2 of this act shall take effect 60 days after its passage and section 6 of this act shall not take effect.
    309:8 Effective Date.
    I. Sections 1 and 3 of this act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.
    II. Sections 2 and 6 of this act shall take effect as provided in section 7 of this act.
    III. The remainder of this act shall take effect upon its passage.
    Approved: July 13, 2010
    Effective Date: I. Sections 1 and 3 of this act shall take effect September 11, 2010.
    II. Sections 2 and 6 of this act shall take effect as provided in section 7.
    III. The remainder of this act shall take effect July 13, 2010.

·
Registered
825 Posts
CHAPTER 353
SB 457-FN – FINAL VERSION
21Apr2010… 1255h
06/02/10 2250eba
2010 SESSION
10-2896
03/05
SENATE BILL 457-FN
AN ACT authorizing identifying decals for custom vehicles.
SPONSORS: Sen. Hassan, Dist 23; Sen. Letourneau, Dist 19; Sen. Bradley, Dist 3
COMMITTEE: Transportation and Interstate Cooperation
ANALYSIS
This bill authorizes identifying decals for custom vehicles and requires that custom vehicles be inspected in April.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.
Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]
Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.
21Apr2010… 1255h
06/02/10 2250eba
10-2896
03/05
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Ten
AN ACT authorizing identifying decals for custom vehicles.
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:
353:1 New Section; Motor Vehicles; Words and Phrases Defined; Custom Vehicle. Amend RSA 259 by inserting after section 17 the following new section:
259:17-a Custom Vehicle. “Custom vehicle” shall mean any motor vehicle that is at least 30 model years old and has been altered from the manufacturer’s original design or has a body constructed from non-original materials, but which is not a street rod and does not weigh more than 6,000 pounds.
353:2 Vehicle Identification Number. Amend RSA 261:89-c to read as follows:
261:89-c Vehicle Identification Number for Street Rods and Custom Vehicles. The vehicle identification number or “VIN” for a street rod or custom vehicle shall be the number stamped on the frame of the vehicle, or if no such number, as established pursuant to RSA 261:22, I.
353:3 New Section; Identifying Decals for Vehicles Registered as Custom Vehicles. Amend RSA 261 by inserting after section 89-c the following new section:
261:89-d Identifying Decals for Vehicles Registered as Custom Vehicles. The director is hereby authorized to design and to issue, under such rules as the director deems appropriate, distinctive identifying decals to be placed on the windshield of a custom vehicle at the time of registration designating the vehicle as a custom vehicle. Such decal shall be issued only upon receipt of a duly executed certificate in a format designated by the director indicating the year and make of the body that the custom vehicle resembles or was based upon and verifying that the vehicle is garaged and maintained in the state, that the vehicle is in fact a custom vehicle as defined in RSA 259:17-a, and that the vehicle is not intended for daily commuting use. A special fee in the amount of $15 shall be paid for the identifying decal. This special fee shall be in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration fee and shall be paid to the state treasurer and credited to the highway fund. Any state trooper or any individual who is authorized by the director to perform motor vehicle inspections provided by RSA 266:1, V is hereby authorized to perform the verification required by this section. A certificate of verification and decal issued under this section shall be transferable in the event the vehicle described by such certificate is sold or the ownership is otherwise transferred or conveyed. A vehicle displaying a custom vehicle identifying decal shall not be required to display a number plate on the front of the vehicle.
353:4 Inspection of Custom Vehicles. Amend RSA 266:1, III to read as follows:
III. If the owner of the vehicle is a company or corporation or other than a natural person, the annual inspection shall be made during the month designated by the director as the registration month for such legal entity. Vehicles registered as antique motor vehicles and antique motorcycles and which are 40 years old and over shall be inspected biennially. Antique motor vehicles and custom vehicles shall be inspected in the month of April. Without regard to the owner's birth date or registration month, motorcycles and recreational vehicles shall be inspected annually by July 1.
353:5 New Subdivision; Custom Vehicles. Amend RSA 266 by inserting after section 114 the following new subdivision:
Custom Vehicles
266:115 Equipment Required of Custom Vehicles.
I. A vehicle registered as a custom vehicle shall be equipped as prescribed by RSA 266 and state of New Hampshire official inspection station rules adopted pursuant to RSA 541-A, as they may be applicable to such vehicles.
II. Notwithstanding paragraph I, custom vehicles shall be equipped with the following:
(a) Hydraulic service brakes on all wheels.
(b) Sealed beam or halogen headlamps or headlamps complying with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 108.
(c) Seat belts for all passengers.
(d) Turn signal lamps and switch.
(e) Safety glass or polycarbonate resin thermoplastic.
(f) Electric or vacuum windshield wipers located in front of the driver and front seat passenger.
(g) Parking brake operating on at least 2 wheels on the same axle.
(h) Headlamps, parking lamps, tail lamps, and brake lamps, which may include blue dot tail lamps.
(i) Bumpers, fenders, and hoods.
III. Exhaust systems discharging along the side of the vehicle shall be allowed on custom vehicles, provided the exhaust discharge point is to the rear of the rear edge of the front door and such system shall direct exhaust gas away from the vehicle.
IV. The ground clearance for a custom vehicle shall be such that the vehicle shall be able to be in motion and functional while on its 4 rims on a flat surface, and no part of the suspension, steering, or chassis shall touch that surface.
V. The director may adopt rules, pursuant to RSA 541-A, as are necessary to implement this subdivision.
353:6 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2011.
Approved: July 20, 2010
Effective Date: January 1, 2011

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy New Years!!

Wow, Diesel,
Thanks for all of that legislative info.

The strange thing about that, is that Texas is normally such an independent minded state, (yes, we all have our guns) that it seems unusual that some politician(s) managed to step on us over such a ridiculous issue. If a bad guy threatens one of us or ours, we can shoot'em. I am beginning to wonder what the motivation for a 2009 law change actually was.

Follow the money?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
here in wva you can ride on some streets as long as they dont have center lines on the road.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In Ky from what I've read on definitions, If it has more that 3 wheels and certified by the manufacturer as to run over 40 mph, it isn't roadworthy as a SMV. I would love to have it on county roads, but you can bet if they legalized it, that Ky would require to carry liability insurance on the vehicle.:(

·
Registered
412 Posts
In Tennessee you can get them licensed to run on ANY road that doesn't have a minimum speed. So obviously not interstate or major highways. And yes you do have to carry liability insurance to get one tagged for road use. At least in TN you do. I would love to one day own a Wildcat, get it tagged, and roll up at work one morning! That would be sweet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts