Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have 700 xtx prowler. It is still stock in many ways. I would like to do some suspension upgrades but I want to gather some information from experiences of others first. I really don't want to improve the high speed handling as I don't care about that as much. I would rather see this thing gain some travel and be more of a "rock crawling" type suspension. I was recently out with a guy that had a RZR S with some suspension upgrades and that thing had a great mix of handling with good travel for negotiating obstacles.

I am curious if any one has just changed the springs and shocks and what kind of results that has brought. I am not opposed to the long travel kits but I would like to try to keep the track as narrow as I can. some of these plus 4" kits look much to wide.

I know this is kind of a vague question but just want to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
King Off Road Racing Shocks will do the trick. 13 inches travel front and rear, keeps stock geometry and improves the ride a heck of a lot for under $2000. When you order the shocks, talk to them and tell them what you are using the machine for, it's weight and speeds you'll be using it at, that way they can valve it accordingly.
Even for rock crawling they are really great (I'm running my Prowler with King Shocks in the King Of The Hammers UTV Race in February, considered the toughest 1 day race in the world, with lots of rock crawling sections).
I preferred to keep close to the stock width for the KOH Race and other rides but wanted the best ride and performance I could get, the Kings did the trick.
If you want to go wider, then look at the LTR Kit that UTVCrap has (Johnny at UTVCrap, just put it on his own XTZ, looks great). But keep in mind the LTR Kits can cost $4000 and up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great... thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

What about the springs? Will they just send the appropriate springs for that set up or are they separate?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Great... thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

What about the springs? Will they just send the appropriate springs for that set up or are they separate?
When you talk to them, tell them what the machine and it's loaded weight is, what type of riding you'll be doing and they'll figure out the springs needed. If you have a 4 seater setup, they adjust for that too.
Their springs are a dual-rate setup so they work both on the smaller stuff and the bigger hits too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Daryl, Sorry for the 20 questions but I am getting a lot out of this forum.

Should I contact King directly or is there a website you would suggest ordering from? I visited UTVcrap and Draggonfire but I don't see the king shocks offered on either site. I also see the Long travel kit you spoke of on the utvcrap site but is it XTZ specific, because I have a xtx 700. It sounds like the owner of UTVcrap is a member of this forum do you know who he is? Perhaps I should talk with him about what you suggested he could probably send me all the upgrades I am interested in.

If you don't mind I have a couple more questions for you.

I see a lot of folks upgrading the stock seats to the twised stich seats. They look really nice I also like the 4 point harnesses too. It sounds like you can bolt the new seats onto the factory seat trays is this true? would the harnesses work with the factory cage and new seats or would I have to modify it? Would you recomend anything different? I know that you lowered your seats... I was looking at how you did that what did you do to the battery under the driver seat to achieve the lower seat height?

back to the suspension... I also have the tatou 4s tracks that I use here in oregon in the winter do you think the King shock set up would be fine in that situation as well. I would assume so because there is no change to the weight of the body of the vehicle but the tracks are significantly hevier.

I see a lot of talk about using beefier tie rods. I have a bent one now that i need to fix but it sounds like I would be better off to replace it with a stouter one. With that being said, are the rest of the a-arm components strong or should I be looking for an upgrade to all of that stuff?

One more thing... sorry for so many questions... Wheel spacers; what is the purpose of them and do you use them on your rig?

Again sorry for the lengthy posting, I really appreciate getting information from a knowlegeable source.

Sincerely,

Brad

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks again Darryl, Sorry for the 20 questions but I am getting a lot out of this forum.
No Problem Brad
Should I contact King directly or is there a website you would suggest ordering from? I visited UTVcrap and Draggonfire but I don't see the king shocks offered on either site. I also see the Long travel kit you spoke of on the utvcrap site but is it XTZ specific, because I have a xtx 700. It sounds like the owner of UTVcrap is a member of this forum do you know who he is? Perhaps I should talk with him about what you suggested he could probably send me all the upgrades I am interested in.
Brad, contact King directly at 714-530-8701, that way you can talk to them about what you need and your individual machine requirements.
Johnny is on this forum. He's a great guy. You could ask him about LTR Kits for your machine. Just go to the members list and contact him. He's at Glamis this weekend I think, so it may be next week before he gets back to you.

If you don't mind I have a couple more questions for you.

I see a lot of folks upgrading the stock seats to the twised stich seats. They look really nice I also like the 4 point harnesses too. It sounds like you can bolt the new seats onto the factory seat trays is this true? would the harnesses work with the factory cage and new seats or would I have to modify it? Would you recomend anything different? I know that you lowered your seats... I was looking at how you did that what did you do to the battery under the driver seat to achieve the lower seat height?
The battery height lowered along with the seat bracketry. There is plenty of room underneath. Another option is to move the battery to the front storage tray, under the hood. Install it into a sealed battery box.
The lowered seats really make a difference, and sitting in both the Twisted Stitch seats and the Beard Super TZs made me a believer in the Super TZs for my application. Both are supreme seats, but the Super TZs are worth the extra $175 total. The lowering of the seats was worth it too, but if you are anywhere near Phoenix, I would highly recommend taking your machine to UTVCrap and letting them do it if you aren't an experienced fabricator/welder. But it's every bit worth the $1500.

back to the suspension... I also have the tatou 4s tracks that I use here in oregon in the winter do you think the King shock set up would be fine in that situation as well. I would assume so because there is no change to the weight of the body of the vehicle but the tracks are significantly hevier.
Good question, but the Kings would do great even with the tracks. In fact, they will perform better than stock since they resist fading more than the OEM Shocks.

I see a lot of talk about using beefier tie rods. I have a bent one now that i need to fix but it sounds like I would be better off to replace it with a stouter one. With that being said, are the rest of the a-arm components strong or should I be looking for an upgrade to all of that stuff?
I would recommend installing some beefier tie-rods. There are several companies out there that make them. Just shop around. A good place to start is both UTVCrap and Dragonfire Racing.

One more thing... sorry for so many questions... Wheel spacers; what is the purpose of them and do you use them on your rig?
I don't have spacers on my machine yet, but am seriously considering them for dune running and sand washes. When I'm on tight trails or racing desert, I won't be running them though.
Pros of them are, they widen your machine's stance and make it much more stable in the rough stuff. They also enhance the lift effect of the downward angle of the A-Arms. (But if you run them, you need to let King know before they build your shocks since they have a tendency to overly soften the ride, or you can crank the spring preload to stiffen them back up, but then you loose some of your adjustment range).
Cons of them are, it takes more room to turn around (increases your turn radius), puts more stress on your A-Arms and shocks and may have inteference with the frame at full lock turning.

Again sorry for the lengthy posting, I really appreciate getting information from a knowlegeable source.
Well, that leaves me out.. :D . Actually, there are many folks on here with lots of knowledge on doing mods. Great bunch of guys (and girls). Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts