Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Glad no one was injured. I worry about these types of failures as I'm going through the desert at high speed. Not fun and expensive to fix. Sorry you had it happen. You might want to look into a billet side cover to prevent this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sandchris, i think you asked about the pin in the front dif in a different posting.. when they say the weld cracks do you mean the pin falls out?

I have the front one apart and the weld did indeed crack, but the pin looks like it stayed in place, Not sure how that one broke. Ill post pics of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad no one was injured. I worry about these types of failures as I'm going through the desert at high speed. Not fun and expensive to fix. Sorry you had it happen. You might want to look into a billet side cover to prevent this.
Thankfully no one was hurt, I sure would hate to read that someone got hurt by a dif locking up. Ive read some close calls but its just a matter of time.

Cheap? it was def cheaper then replacing the front one that also broke lol

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Mine was made by a company that I would never recommend any member on this forum to. I would be glad to give you the name of a machinist here in Arizona that could make one for you. Sandchris knows the guy as well and he may even have the drawing in his computer for it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
sandchris, i think you asked about the pin in the front dif in a different posting.. when they say the weld cracks do you mean the pin falls out?

I have the front one apart and the weld did indeed crack, but the pin looks like it stayed in place, Not sure how that one broke. Ill post pics of it tomorrow.
My front diff pin broke loose, creeped out and did its damage as the ring gear rotated then creeped back in place. When I tapped it out of its hole it came out in 3 pieces. I've seen where alot of mudders are having luck by bracing the diffs better.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
There is a thrust button in the side cover that is on the other side of where the pinion meshes with the ring gear. This is where they start to break the side cover. The high load makes the ring gear flex and contact the thrust button. And this is ok until the cast side cover gives up and breaks. The cover I am using still has the thrust button but much thicker billet side cover. Also there is a extra hole 1 inch down from the fill that I remove while refilling the diff to let me know when the fluid is full. Instead of trying to guess when it is 1" down from the hole.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts