Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so joes5091 and i went for a ride this morning, and to my surprise nothing broke.....the first half of the trip... on our way back i stopped and didnt see joe behind us, waited a few minutes, drank a beer, and still no joe...turned around and half a mile back we find joe bent over his prowler scratching his head... well to our surprise joe had been stopped dead in his tracks by his prowler, so i thaught WHOOOO HOOOO its not me this time, it was either his motor or belt had let go, my bet being his motor since you coulod crank the motor but it would not spin, so i hooked up my prowler to his and started back to the truck, only about a 7 mile jaunt back to the truck.....well thats when all hell broke loose, i could smell my belt getting hot on the way back taking breaks and drinking beer taking it easy, till boom the belt exploded on my prowler and we were dead in the water...clutch cover bolts stripped couldnt get access, called a friend to come get us and now im sitting at home getting a licking from my wife who says the prowler breaks everytime i take it out, while this is true she'll get over it, so everyone step up and help joe out, while mines just a belt i have a feeling joes may be a little more serious...aall in all a great day, i love this stuff!!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Man I hate to hear that! Look forward to hearing what Joe finds out. Funny though how beer makes a situation more bearable!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I hate to hear that! Look forward to hearing what Joe finds out. Funny though how beer makes a situation more bearable!

MMMMMMMM beeeeerrrr

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ya know I was just wondering.. I of course have had my share of tear ups and break downs. But it seems like you guys that ride in the desert have alot more problems than us mountain/dirt/muddy trail riders? Stupid question but is it the environment wearing on components so much harder or what? Or am I just off on that statement?

And I second the.. MMMMMMMMM beeeeerrrrr....

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
break down

i third the beerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.hope nothing real serious with joes motor,hope we here about it soon.:( and on your belt was you using low or high range.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious with Joe's Prowler. And I know all too well about getting an earfull from the wife on the Prowler. My wife bit**** at me all the time that I'm always working on my Prowler.

And I 4th that on the beer. Unfortunately here in Utah with their STUPID liquor laws, we can only buy watered down beer unless we go to a state run liquor store........:mad:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i third the beerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.hope nothing real serious with joes motor,hope we here about it soon.:( and on your belt was you using low or high range.
I was in low the whole time, Joe had extra belts with him but 5 of the hex head clutch cover bolts were stripped and we didn't have vise grips to get em loose. Joes prowler will roll, but if you try to start it its seized up, and he said he heard a knocking before it quit, i noticed his was louder than mine motor wise beginning of the day but chalked it up to him having stock exhaust and being able to hear everything, i can't hear my motor due to my intake and exhaust. And as f far as a harsher environment...not sure, dust and heat are both killers here....

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Joe .. GET WELL QUICK, ride time down there since it finally cooled down to a couple hundred degrees :rolleyes:

hope the carnage isn't too bad, and the parts are low $$ ones

·
Registered
733 Posts
My fingers are crossed for joe, I hope he can get back up and running quickly and cheap!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is the only thing left of my belt, all the rollers have flat spots on them too. And yes this was a factory arctic cat belt with maybe 500 miles on it. joe is bringing his prowler over tomorrow so i can tear into it, were hoping maybe bevel gears or one way bearing...

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wow... That thing looks like it went through a blender! Hopefully Joe will get lucky. Do you know how many miles are on his machine?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... That thing looks like it went through a blender! Hopefully Joe will get lucky. Do you know how many miles are on his machine?
yeah its a mess, i want to say he told me yesterday that he was just about to turn 4000 miles on that trip, could have been 3000 though, there was plenty of adult beverages on board. :D

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
DJ,i cant believe that belt has only 500 miles on it,EPI severe duty this time.keep us posted on joes,ill post about those lights whan i talk to him..........

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was gonna say hopefully it was just a weak belt from the factory but the rollers shouldn't have flat spots on them already should they? Wonder if somethings up with the clutch kit causing un-necessary strain? Still sucks either way..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was gonna say hopefully it was just a weak belt from the factory but the rollers shouldn't have flat spots on them already should they? Wonder if somethings up with the clutch kit causing un-necessary strain? Still sucks either way..
I just had everything apart 100 miles ago when i took out the one way bearing, everything was fine, i could smell my belt burning the whole way back towing Joe so I'm thinking just the heat from slipping put a flat spot in the rollers, i may be able to get away with rounding the edges off where its flat and reassembleing could have been a defective belt, I've blown 2 other belts and none of them were this messy.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
rollers

when i put the clutch kit in mine alot of my factory rollers had flat spots,never affected the performance of it.seth told me it was from heat he said that happens when using high range when you should be using low range,or running long distance like several miles with out letting off the throttle. that was his thoughts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe these things just can't take towing someone for a long period of time. At least the factory belt anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok boys... pulled apart joes5091 prowler today, doesnt really have compression, and when we dropped the oil so we could remove the inner clutch housing the bottom of the motor was full of steel shavings and what appeared to be copper or bronze...thinking bearings. so he will be looking for a motor if anyone has one. he was quoted 2600 from derby cycles, oh and his prowler just turned 4000 miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts