1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Great pictures! Prowler at work, but now you need to play!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You could be right!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the cat saw the camera, she thought I was going to take her photo. When she found out I was going to take a photo of the Prowler, she turned and gave it a jealous "dirty" look.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Prowler is begging for heavier springs in the rear LOL

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prowler is begging for heavier springs in the rear LOL
That is what it appears. It looks that way to me too. That said, it has been squatting low in the rear and high in the front since new. It sits that way with the small trailer loaded, unloaded, or not connected at all. The rear springs have the maximum tension adjustment applied. My assessment is: it needs longer shocks and springs in the rear.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
they ship sagging rear ends .. measured mine when new and it was 10" factory said 13" ... put 350 lb springs and wallah 13" again .. no shock change

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting. I will get the rear up in the air and measure the fully extended shock length vs. the length with the weight of the machine, bed empty, sitting at rest

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Still looking at different springs/shock packages, but the price still staggers me! It handles pretty good on the trails, very predictable, but the whoop-de-do's leave a little to be desired! Don't know if suspension upgrades would help much due to the short wheelbase!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
already done the spring on the rear and the old rear to the front ?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Elka's would be great but dang the price. If I remember right Mike said shocks was one of the best upgrades he did to his prowler, I think he had King shocks.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Mike did have Kings on his, and he swore by them, so they must be good!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's interesting. I will get the rear up in the air and measure the fully extended shock length vs. the length with the weight of the machine, bed empty, sitting at rest
Foolish me, I did not measure before I started messing around with it today.

When I raised the rear wheels off the ground, the measurement to the bottom of the tailgate was 34.5". After letting the jack down, the measurement was 32.5".

I drove it around a bit and the measurement is now 29.5". I am guessing that the original measurement must have been about 27" - just from watching the shocks expand as I took the weight off the rear wheels.

Obligatory photo just to enhance the thread:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'll have to check mine. I'll post it later.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
QUOTE: Foolish me, I did not measure before I started messing around with it today.

When I raised the rear wheels off the ground, the measurement to the bottom of the tailgate was 34.5". After letting the jack down, the measurement was 32.5".

I drove it around a bit and the measurement is now 29.5". I am guessing that the original measurement must have been about 27" - just from watching the shocks expand as I took the weight off the rear wheels. End QUOTE.

Update 06/03/16: A bit more use and the measurement is now 28.75". It looks like new springs are needed. My next issue is finding a shop that can disassemble my shocks and re-assemble them once I have new springs.

I would like to have the rear lifted to near factory specs (which it never was -it was delivered sagging), without having so much spring as to prevent normal movement.

Anyone have suggestions on what rear springs I should buy for a 2009 XTZ to raise it about 3", from 28.75" to 32" ?

Edit #2: In an earlier thread, soazcat recommended Summit Racing part number 14-350, but the thread does not show the model. Is anyone familiar with these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-72-14-350

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I have QA-1 springs from Summit of the same size weight and dimensions ...

13" ground clearance measured at lowest point [rear differential ] .. pre spring I was at 9.5 if I remember correctly [ IIRC ] before the spring and buggy was a couple months old then.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
QA1 are great products! I've used them on many street car projects. Never unhappy with them!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts