Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but checking the oil on my 08 650XT is a pain, pull seats pull engine cover, check oil reverse procedure.:(:mad::confused:

So I finally did something about it.

I got the oil filter access cover from a Dodge Dakota or Durango.

I just used the spash shield from the Dodge as a template, Now I have about a 5" hole to get in and check the oil.

Here it is with the cover installed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's a good idea. My Dakota has that plug but the 5.9 motor so I don't use it. I might have to yank it off there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the splash shield said 4.7 only but find it hard to believe they wouldn't use it on other engines as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd just go to the salvage yard, I only paid $10.00 for 2 of these caps, the splash shield, and a different type of cap to make the oil access easier on my king quad.

Don't be afraid to dicker with the salvage yards either as they will crush more of these than they will ever sell so don't pay a crap load of money on one.

I screwed up and used a paint pen and it must have run further than I thought, otherwise there would be no gap on top like in the installed picture. I couldn't find my silver sharpie at the time and wanted to get it done.

I can live with the little gap for now as the ease of checking oil is worth it. Plus I can always fill the gap or replace the cover and do it again if needed.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
i've never owned a machine such as this xtz that is so difficult to check the oil.....it drives me insane......i know i don't check it like i should because of this...

even with the seats and cover off, it's still a pain to reach....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i've never owned a machine such as this xtz that is so difficult to check the oil.....it drives me insane......i know i don't check it like i should because of this...

even with the seats and cover off, it's still a pain to reach....
I agree, the oil check on the XTZ is not well thought out. If you cut a hole, that lines up with the dipstick, in the plastic cover under the seat base, it makes it much easier to check the oil level. Just remove the seat and reach down through the hole. Perhaps the same access door that Triple J used could be adapted to work on that hole also.

Triple J, very smart idea, you need to submit photos on your setup to AC. That's something they could very easily put into production on some of their machines.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That thing will never run right again with a dodge part on it...LOL
I don't know about that,I'll put my little six cylinder dodge up against you. ha ha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts