Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts here? I hear folks say Radials are better, but I have some of the Mudlite XTRs and they have not been as good as the factory tires. They are less puncture resistant (both tread and sidewalls) and have multiple goose eggs develpoing on the rear sidewalls. Never had any issues with the OEM tires.

Any here ever use the GBS Motorsports tires? Either radial or bias play?

Maybe I have just ahd bad luck with the Mudlites????

FYI - I drive over very hard packed surfaces with loose sharp rocks; I never see mud or sand. Lots of steep climbing on rock shelves with loose tailings.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Typically, radials are much better for rock and hard pack surfaces due to the radials being able to conform better to the surface. Mud tires usually aren't of radial construction as radials have a problem of allowing the big tractor like treads to flex too much (which can separate the plys of the tire in a radial).
I agree with Sandchris, the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tire is probably one of the most popular tires in the desert southwest as well as the Rocky Mountains. I've liked them on my machines as well as the ITP Terracrosses.
This latest set of tires I'm putting on my project XTZ are the new ITP BajaCross 8ply tires. I chose them for the stiff sidewalls and tread area that will resist flats and hold up well to jumping in rocky terrain.
But for standard trail riding, I would run the Bighorns.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Me and my two buds all have the new 8 ply GBC tires and love them. No more punctures!! I have the Grim reapers, and my buddies have the dirt commanders and the spartacus. They aren't that heavy, ride smooth, have great wear, or lack of, and work really good in the places where a bighorn works, but are also really good in the mud. Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Me and my two buds all have the new 8 ply GBC tires and love them. No more punctures!! I have the Grim reapers, and my buddies have the dirt commanders and the spartacus. They aren't that heavy, ride smooth, have great wear, or lack of, and work really good in the places where a bighorn works, but are also really good in the mud. Cheers!!
And also note, Team BiPolar won the 2008 Baja 1000 in an XTZ with GBC tires as well as took 2nd with their 700XTX. The XTZ used GBC Grim Reapers and the XTX used the Dirt Commanders.
Plus the 8-ply really stops a lot of pinch flats and resists cactus and sage punctures better.
I looked hard at using the GBCs in my build up but decided to give the ITP BajaCross' a try since I wanted to see how good they hold up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I bought a set of Interco, Reptiles in 27 inch for my XTZ. They work real well in the mud and i can run all out on the hard road and still have control. I also just bought a set of Firestone Destination LE's. They are on stock wheels , mounted up good and stand a true 26 inch tall. I think they will kick azz on the rock and hard pack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where's the best place to get tires? Do the chains like Discount carry GBC or ITP or are you better off going to speciality UTV type store?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Price wise I would say the internet.If you gotta have them asap probably your local utv shop.No tax on the internet kinda off sets the shipping charge if you buy out of state.
Let me add to that, internet shopping from a reputable company.

For my customers that bought their machine from me or use me regularly for parts, Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's go for $120 for 26x9x14Rs and $130 for 26x11x14Rs. About $40 cheaper than list.
So check with your local dealer, but be prepared to buy internet for the best deals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts