Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feed back on which tires you all think are the most resistant to damage from rocks and stumps.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have og bighorns on the rhino for 2-years now. Its been to Mozb Ut. two times to Ky. once and a lot of riding here in Ohio and not one flat and the still look like new. I got 589s on my quad since 2004 and not one flat but they are showing wear and they ride rough. I put light truck buck shot mudders on the XTZ and rode it a lot in Ohio but only had them on a few months so not sure about them. I know a lot of peeps Here in Ohio and in Co. that swear by the og bighorns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just replaced my ITP Bajacross as I had multiple punctures (including sidewall) and tore a lug which created a big leak... I recently bought the Pit Bull Rocker XOR UBER. Need to get them mounted, but they look like bad ass and the sidewalls look much stronger than the Bajacross.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

Are you interested in them?

They have done well no punctures from rocks or stumps.

No match for the roofing nail I pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

No match for the roofing nail i pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.
no i dont wanna go bigger then 26`s or that aggressive of tread pattern.everywhere ive been riding lately is very little mud and a bunch of big rocks.and i know if your gunna get a sidewall your gunna get it even with a ten ply. But im still thinkn something tougher then oe for sure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

No match for the roofing nail i pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.
what tires you thinkn bout goin to??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just replaced my ITP Bajacross as I had multiple punctures (including sidewall) and tore a lug which created a big leak... I recently bought the Pit Bull Rocker XOR UBER. Need to get them mounted, but they look like bad ass and the sidewalls look much stronger than the Bajacross.
Wow, I am totally surprised by that. The BajaCross tires have run the entire Baja 500 on one set and are considered the toughest tires for total abuse.
I agree that the PitBull XOR Ubers are great too. But make sure you get the 8ply XOR Ubers, not the 6ply tires.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Darryl

If you ride with Sean (flying low) you will find that he is not aware that he has a brake pedal and he drives by feel. He feels a rock on the right he steers left! :D Just kidding Sean you drive fine. Here is the deal with tires and I will share my thought on the ones I have tried and tested. Darryl I agree with you about the ITP Baja Cross tires.

Team Arctic

The first set were the stock Maxxis Speed tire (6 ply radial)- Very light and responsive tire. These turn in fairly quick but do not hook very well and slide a lot on the hard pack. They are very soft on the side wall and puncture fairly easy.These are one of the lightest tires around.

The next set were the all mighty Big Horns (6 ply radial). Medium weight, turn like crap, great all around for straight line traction and climbs, some mud etc... I think the Big Horns are the most popular quad tire on the market so guys started using them on the UTV. The problem is that Quads weigh around 400 to 700 pounds and UTV are 1100 to 2000 pounds. I think the opinions of many that like this tire are favorable becuase it's the tire that they run and it's talked up by every forum around. They are not a bad tire for all types of terrain but they make the side x side turn like a 1948 Chevy truck. They push very bad and if you have long travel even more so.

Next tire and the ones I am running for another week are the ITP Baja Cross (8 ply radial) - These were recommended to me by a few guys and one of them was Darryl who has an extensive backround in racing and knows his stuff. Evertyhing Darryl told me about this tire was accurate. They turn in well and pull the car through the corners. The have a very stiff side wall and are one of the most punctuire resistant tires available today. Sean you must have had bad luck. The are very heavy at 34 pounds each and you will feel the seat of the pants difference in acceleration with this tire. The rotating mass is a huge negative factor when you run these and you do loose performance for sure. They hook up very well and can handle 90% of the terrain we all drive. They are a great tire if you want strength and traction and don't mind giving up a little performance.

The tires I have on order are the GBC Dirt Commander. These have been getting great reviews and have been proven in the Baja 500 and 1000 with wins. They are an 8 ply bias tire and weigh around 7 pounds less then the Baja Cross and the Pit Bulls.

In closing I will say that because we all drive different there is no tire that will be 100% perfect for all conditions. I have punctured every one of these tires side walls but the ITP Baja Cross was the toughest for sure. Even the toughest tires will fail under the right circumstance. Some of us drive aggressive and bounce off of everything in sight and some of us drive light and take time to circumnaviagate the nasty stuff. What I am saying here is that any tire you choose for the rocks will puncture sooner or later under the right conditions. The Pit Bulls and the ITP Baja Cross are going to be the toughest in my opinion. Also be sure to run the correct tire pressure for the given riding conditions as this is very important for traction, handling , and durability of the tire. The main reason for trying the GBC tires is to try and find a balance between light weight and tough (8ply) tires. I am after performance and durabilty. I will post my results after a few miles are on the new shoes.

Todd

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have the ITP mudlite XTR's i love them. but doing my study on tires i found that the ITP Terracross looks to have the best side wall on the market. the only reason i didn't get them was i wanted to go bigger then 26". i also KG motorcycle tire on the internet. check out their prices.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i have the ITP mudlite XTR's i love them. but doing my study on tires i found that the ITP Terracross looks to have the best side wall on the market. the only reason i didn't get them was i wanted to go bigger then 26". i also KG motorcycle tire on the internet. check out their prices.
Your right about KG motorcycle tire. Thats where i bought my swamplites (which i love). They had the best prices by far.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

Great tire but I have friends that run them and have many side wall punctures as well. I spoke to ITP and the rep told me the Baja Cross is the toughest tire they make. The super deep rim gaurd helps with the rocks as well.

This is right off of their website. Talking about the Baja Cross.

Winner of the UTV class at the 2009 Baja 500 and 1000!
Baja proven to handle the toughest and heaviest UTV applications.
8-ply rating and 25% stronger construction has produced our most rugged, durable tire yet!
Extended-life rubber compound and innovative overlapping tread pattern provides a smooth, predictable ride as well as slow wear characteristics — this is the highest-mileage tire ITP has ever produced!
Stepped lugs provide consistent tread edges as the tire wears, for predictable performance throughout the long life of the tire.
Advanced carcass design delivers the most comfortable, trail-compliant tire available.
Wraparound lugs provide improved shoulder protection.
Super deep Rim Guard feature offers the best wheel lip protection in the business.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Darryl

If you ride with Sean (flying low) you will find that he is not aware that he has a brake pedal and he drives by feel. He feels a rock on the right he steers left! :D Just kidding Sean you drive fine. Here is the deal with tires and I will share my thought on the ones I have tried and tested. Darryl I agree with you about the ITP Baja Cross tires.

Team Arctic

The first set were the stock Maxxis Speed tire (6 ply radial)- Very light and responsive tire. These turn in fairly quick but do not hook very well and slide a lot on the hard pack. They are very soft on the side wall and puncture fairly easy.These are one of the lightest tires around.

The next set were the all mighty Big Horns (6 ply radial). Medium weight, turn like crap, great all around for straight line traction and climbs, some mud etc... I think the Big Horns are the most popular quad tire on the market so guys started using them on the UTV. The problem is that Quads weigh around 400 to 700 pounds and UTV are 1100 to 2000 pounds. I think the opinions of many that like this tire are favorable becuase it's the tire that they run and it's talked up by every forum around. They are not a bad tire for all types of terrain but they make the side x side turn like a 1948 Chevy truck. They push very bad and if you have long travel even more so.

Next tire and the ones I am running for another week are the ITP Baja Cross (8 ply radial) - These were recommended to me by a few guys and one of them was Darryl who has an extensive backround in racing and knows his stuff. Evertyhing Darryl told me about this tire was accurate. They turn in well and pull the car through the corners. The have a very stiff side wall and are one of the most punctuire resistant tires available today. Sean you must have had bad luck. The are very heavy at 34 pounds each and you will feel the seat of the pants difference in acceleration with this tire. The rotating mass is a huge negative factor when you run these and you do loose performance for sure. They hook up very well and can handle 90% of the terrain we all drive. They are a great tire if you want strength and traction and don't mind giving up a little performance.

The tires I have on order are the GBC Dirt Commander. These have been getting great reviews and have been proven in the Baja 500 and 1000 with wins. They are an 8 ply bias tire and weigh around 7 pounds less then the Baja Cross and the Pit Bulls.

In closing I will say that because we all drive different there is no tire that will be 100% perfect for all conditions. I have punctured every one of these tires side walls but the ITP Baja Cross was the toughest for sure. Even the toughest tires will fail under the right circumstance. Some of us drive aggressive and bounce off of everything in sight and some of us drive light and take time to circumnaviagate the nasty stuff. What I am saying here is that any tire you choose for the rocks will puncture sooner or later under the right conditions. The Pit Bulls and the ITP Baja Cross are going to be the toughest in my opinion. Also be sure to run the correct tire pressure for the given riding conditions as this is very important for traction, handling , and durability of the tire. The main reason for trying the GBC tires is to try and find a balance between light weight and tough (8ply) tires. I am after performance and durabilty. I will post my results after a few miles are on the new shoes.

Todd
Sean is my kind of driver, you know that's how we run races at night...

Todd, I am considering the GBC Tires also, Mike Lasher with Lasher Motorsports and reps for GBC has talked with me about running them on my new race car. They seem to be good, I know Bipolar Racing won the Baja 1000 in 2008 running the Grim Reaper GBCs and took 2nd with the Dirt Commanders on the 700 XTX. But it's just hard to leave such a tried and true tire like the BajaCross.
I will be looking closely at the GBCs though, they are looking better each time I see them.
Oh, and what you said about the weight and it affecting performance, that is so very true. On hard pack, it's not too bad, but when I hit the sand, I can feel the ITPs dragging down on the car a lot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow, I am totally surprised by that. The BajaCross tires have run the entire Baja 500 on one set and are considered the toughest tires for total abuse.
I agree that the PitBull XOR Ubers are great too. But make sure you get the 8ply XOR Ubers, not the 6ply tires.
I'm with you... I researched tires and went with the BajaCross due to the 8 ply tire and reviews from the Baja 500. I did go with the 8 ply XOR Ubers and the tread is deep and they look much stronger than the BajaCross. They look like more of a lower profile sidewall and very well built.

Part of my issue may have been running too much tire pressure with extra weight in the back. But still, not that many miles on them and two punctures, ripped lug, and sidewall puncture...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Darryl

Brake pedal, what the hell is that made for???? :eek: If I wanted a brake pedal I wouldn't have had Adam do the stage 5 work - kind of defeats the purpose...

Damn straight Rick, I usually have to use the rocks to steer off when I'm passing your ass on those narrow trails... ;)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
might as we add my lil experience ... not much background with quads and SxS's ... only had factory and now Pit Bull Rocker Uber XOR's
the XTZ came with crapola tires and a bad wheel toe out issue the fronts were gone by 12/1500 miles ..
bought the Pit Bulls and was imediatly impressed with the traction in the rock and woods riding I do .. sharp rock shale and hidden sharp rocks under the heavy summer road dusty log and skidder roads .. the first weekend used I cut a bead at the rim by hitting a BIG rock when going fast on a log road in heavy dust , I didn't even see the damn thing. well slime held the air in enough til I got a replacement [complements of Discount Tire Direct as non warranty issued warranted by them] .. anyway I believe they will be a superior tire for my ride area and style .. I have nailed the sidewalls several times with big limbs and rocks and other than my driver error with the damaged one they have held up very well .. I have over 500 miles on them now and am VERY happy.
they do show some wear from the pavement wear getting to and from one trail to another [we can ride on streets here] but the wear isn't out of line.
as to steering , they go where pointed without bad under-steer/pushing and that is a surprise as the lugs are about 1.125" .. they do throw rocks out real well so advise your friends behind you to try to pass or lag back LOL
looking for winter hunting to see how well they do in snow and ice and will report that.
only been in shallow mud so don't have real feel for that yet we'll see in snow melt off season about that.
again for my ride area and driver "style" they are great .. I do have a bunch of miles with a Rhino with Big Horns [another reason to try these] so have a good working knowledge of them .. the Pit Bulls IMHO are a bit better but there is a big difference in power Rhino v/s A/C and that would skew the results I believe

·
Registered
861 Posts
Brake pedal, what the hell is that made for???? :eek: If I wanted a brake pedal I wouldn't have had Adam do the stage 5 work - kind of defeats the purpose...

Damn straight Rick, I usually have to use the rocks to steer off when I'm passing your ass on those narrow trails... ;)

that wasnt me..that was todd buddy.. i wouldnt diss someone who is always parked in camp looking for a spare!:eek:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Your right about KG motorcycle tire. Thats where i bought my swamplites (which i love). They had the best prices by far.
Did you check with Rockymountainatv.com they are cheaper on the tires I was looking at.

·
Registered
91 Posts
that wasnt me..that was todd buddy.. i wouldnt diss someone who is always parked in camp looking for a spare!:eek:
Sorry Rick... :rolleyes: I recall you were parked in camp our last time at the dunes :p Let's not repeat that the weekend of the 8th...

Todd doesn't have much room to talk :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts