Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting Swamp lites on my 2014 XTX700.
27-9-14 front and 27-11-14 rear.
Do you think the will be ok and not hurt the axles

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I think several guys here are running 28's with no problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had 28" on my 09 xtx, broke an axle but don't feellarger tires caused the problem.Believe operator was more the cause.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I run 27's I don't like going bigger because you loose to much power also top speed. Big tires are hard on wheel bearings and cv's. They wear out quicker. But hey to each there own. I should say I like big tires and ethanol gas gives me more work.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I run 28" swamp lights on my xtx with no problems but I will be putting a clutch kit in when I do a belt change just to make up some low end power,, I do agree with fat cat also but there again ,,,it all depends on how you ride I put thousands of miles on 28"tires with no issues but we ride slow and easy in the mountains:D just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I'm thinking of putting Swamp lites on my 2014 XTX700.
27-9-14 front and 27-11-14 rear.
Do you think the will be ok and not hurt the axles
I think you will be fine with that size,at least the swamp lites do measure a true size,very few brands do.I just bought 4 new swamp lites awesome looking tires.like what was mentioned a lot of it is how you ride it.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I don't want to go with bigger tires but they don't make them it the 26/14 so 1 inch bigger won't be bad . I really like the look of the Swamp Lites . Our trails here in Nova Scotia has a lot of everything here. Found a trail 5 minutes from the house with small rock cliffs with mud between then , went in about 1.6 kms/ 1 mile full lock up and took 20 mins in and 20 mins back out ��. The trail looks to be about 5 miles long.
I head out to work today in oil field in northern Alberta for 6 weeks �� looks like it will be November before i get to run the full trail .

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
might want to look at the actual tire measurements if your worried .. many are rated at one size but actually measure smaller , only a few of the after market tires are true measurements.

also if your into very heavy sharp rocks might want to look at 8ply rated tires over the swamp lights … something like the Pit Bull Rocker Ubers .. they can take a real beating up and come through it well … other brands out there also with 8 ply rated.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Murray, the XTZ comes with 27" tires. Worse case with the 27's on the 700 is the possible need of clutch improvement. Depending how you treat/drive your machine will indicate your clutch needs with bigger tires. BTW, that is some beautiful country where you live, we were there in July, loved it!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
might want to look at the actual tire measurements if your worried .. many are rated at one size but actually measure smaller , only a few of the after market tires are true measurements.

also if your into very heavy sharp rocks might want to look at 8ply rated tires over the swamp lights … something like the Pit Bull Rocker Ubers .. they can take a real beating up and come through it well … other brands out there also with 8 ply rated.
Yea the swamp lites are a 6 ply tire ,I bought them for my new Quad,didn't want 8 ply on it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hear nothing but great things about swamp lites. I bet you will be happy with that choice.

A few things; Do you have those Duro Kadans (prob misspelled), kinda looks like you do in your avatar? Those and the big horns they are using now are a major upgrade to what they used to put on these rigs.

From what I know (or think I know) is the duro's are a 4 ply radial tire. So you're going to gain about 10lbs per tire and loose a lot of payload. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hear nothing but great things about swamp lites. I bet you will be happy with that choice.

A few things; Do you have those Duro Kadans (prob misspelled), kinda looks like you do in your avatar? Those and the big horns they are using now are a major upgrade to what they used to put on these rigs.

From what I know (or think I know) is the duro's are a 4 ply radial tire. So you're going to gain about 10lbs per tire and loose a lot of payload. Just food for thought.
If you was talking to me...lol I have The original Big horns on my prowler,i have new swamplites for a quad i'm getting.:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was replying to murry;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've run Swamp Lites and Bear Claws. My only gripe about the Swamp Lites is that they seemed to wear quickly. The Bear Claws on the other hand, have held up really well - but they aren't near as good in the mud.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I've run Swamp Lites and Bear Claws. My only gripe about the Swamp Lites is that they seemed to wear quickly. The Bear Claws on the other hand, have held up really well - but they aren't near as good in the mud.
Just bought a pair of swamplites for my Quad...............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts