Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some feedback on tires.I own a XTZ 1000(stock).I'm thinking about bighorns or some grim reapers.I will be going to the dunes 3 times a year and the rest of my riding will be dirt,mud,rocks in the midwest.Also wondering about tire size.Can I go with a taller tire without hurting belt or gears and will it hurt my low end power on a stock machine.Thanks for your time. :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have an XTZ so don't worry about loosing power with a taller tire because you have plenty of it. I'm a dealer in the desert so I don't have many people go to a much taller tire. I have put 27s and 28s on without any problems. The big horns are good tires, but I have been selling alot of Maxxis Cerros tires out here. Now a lot of people are going for the 8 ply tires because of the puncture resistance like the bajacross and if I remember right the grim reapers are 8 ply. It all just comes down to how and where you ride.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just did a tire replacement and did a lot of research. I talked to Bipolar jim, they run the Grim Reapers. They are 8 ply and will hold up very good.However they are heavy, so its a trade off with a 6 or 8 ply tire. I went with the 27 inch Interco
Reptiles. They are bad ass in mud ,or rock , or snow.I am going to get bead locks and then it wont matter about the puncture resistance, and they are the only one that actually stands as tall as the manufacturers claim. They stand the true 27 inch.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chris, How are those Cerros?? I was thinking about getting a set before I bought my General Grabbers.. Anyone used them in the sand? How heavy are they? I like my Generals but if I could get something lighter thats just as durable I might go for it..

·
Registered
294 Posts
The people that have them so far I know of one guy that has used his Prowler at Glamis with the Cerros. I will see him either today or tomorrow and ask him how they did.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I talked to the guy that has taken his cerros to the Dunes, of course they aren't like paddles, but he said he was impressed with them. He said they performed a lot better than the stockers do in the sand.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have Big Horn 2.0s and I love them

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've got 27" grim reapers on my 08 650 Prowler and absolutely love them.

Had them on when we rode the Paiute trail last year and they handled everything out there including the blacktop. Not showing any noticeable wear.

I didnt' think they weren all that heavy for a 27x14 tire. 24 lbs for the 27x11x14 rears. They do measure dead on with 15 lbs pressure

I highly recommend them as they smoothed out the ride greatly on my machine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got 27" grim reapers on my 08 650 Prowler and absolutely love them.

Had them on when we rode the Paiute trail last year and they handled everything out there including the blacktop. Not showing any noticeable wear.

I didnt' think they weren all that heavy for a 27x14 tire. 24 lbs for the 27x11x14 rears. They do measure dead on with 15 lbs pressure

I highly recommend them as they smoothed out the ride greatly on my machine.
Did you think about going with a wider tire to.I think I'm going to get the 27" grim reapers and maybe 1" wider to protect the rim alittle more.Thanks for everyones feed back . :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just replaced my tires on my 650, I was going to go with the Cerros, they looked like a great tire, however, couldn't get any feedback and it being a new tire, didn't want to take a chance. I went with the bighorn 2.0's and so far have ridden them in the sand, mud and snow. They do real well in the snow and mud, and I would say average in the sand. I found it wanted to bury itself slightly in the sand, and keep in mind that the 650 has alot less power than the 1000. I have also driven them on the pavement at 50mph, and they handle great, I initially was concerned with wandering, but none of that at speed, actually they had a pretty quick response! I'm pretty happy with them, and for the price I cant complain. I think they were $384 to the door. Hope this helps, and I would like to hear more about the Cerros, as I really like the looks of that tire....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you think about going with a wider tire to.I think I'm going to get the 27" grim reapers and maybe 1" wider to protect the rim alittle more.Thanks for everyones feed back . :cool:
The 2010 models actually come with 1" wider wheels on the XTX and XT models than they did in the past 10" on front 12" on back. I don't know what kind of riding you do, but if it is in the desert take a look at the Bajacross, the have the best rim guard that I have seen on a tire.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The 2010 models actually come with 1" wider wheels on the XTX and XT models than they did in the past 10" on front 12" on back. I don't know what kind of riding you do, but if it is in the desert take a look at the Bajacross, the have the best rim guard that I have seen on a tire.
I really like my ITP BajaCross Tires, but they are a bit heavy in sand. Another tire that is getting excellent reviews is the Pitbull XOR tires. I'm thinking about trying a set of those to see how they grip on rock and clay. Check out this review of them....
Pit Bull Tires Growler X.O.R. Review - ATV Torture Forums

Conclusion

The Pit Bull Growler X.O.R. is an excellent performing tire in medium / moderate mud as well as rock, snow and sand. It is very tough to write this article and not express a biased opinion on these tires, but they truly live up to everything in which Pit Bull claims. We have tested a lot of tires in the past; some have been impressive performers while others have been average in performance. The Growler tires are one if not the top tire on our list. While the price of the Pit Bull Growler is only slightly higher than most ATV / UTV tires competing in the same category, you get the piece of mind of “Made in the USA” quality and a guarantee from defects with a promise of top level performance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I really like my ITP BajaCross Tires, but they are a bit heavy in sand. Another tire that is getting excellent reviews is the Pitbull XOR tires. I'm thinking about trying a set of those to see how they grip on rock and clay. Check out this review of them....
Pit Bull Tires Growler X.O.R. Review - ATV Torture Forums
Yes they are a heavy tire, I forgot to mention that, but I guess that is what you sacrifice to get the 8 ply. I will have to look into those Pitt Bulls.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes they are a heavy tire, I forgot to mention that, but I guess that is what you sacrifice to get the 8 ply. I will have to look into those Pitt Bulls.
Try to catch Jon Crowley and ask him what he thinks of the Pitbulls...

·
Registered
294 Posts
where is the best place to buy tires?
From Me:) Really just depends on your location and who is around, sometimes a good deal can be found on the net just watch out for shipping charges, but it also depends on what tires you want. I usually try to be fair with all my prices, but again sometimes shipping can be a killer, unless I can drop ship them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
From Me:) Really just depends on your location and who is around, sometimes a good deal can be found on the net just watch out for shipping charges, but it also depends on what tires you want. I usually try to be fair with all my prices, but again sometimes shipping can be a killer, unless I can drop ship them.
In NM or southwest Colorado, Me.....:D.
eaac is right, there are good deals, just do some checking. Some local dealers will give you good deals too...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts