Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After noticing how much heat is contained under the engine cover, I decided to pop a couple heat vents in it to get some of that heat into the cab during the winter. 1 3/4" hole saw in my cordless and some stupid glue was all the tools I needed. Took.... Maybe 15 minutes. I pulled the cover to do it, but really didn't need to. Oh ya, removed the decal from the top too. Actually, that was the worse part.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Yes indeed, that decal is meant to stay! I think I had over half a day on mine! The heat vents look good, where did you find them?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
After noticing how much heat is contained under the engine cover, I decided to pop a couple heat vents in it to get some of that heat into the cab during the winter. 1 3/4" hole saw in my cordless and some stupid glue was all the tools I needed. Took.... Maybe 15 minutes. I pulled the cover to do it, but really didn't need to. Oh ya, removed the decal from the top too. Actually, that was the worse part.
Great idea Bryan can you close them for summer riding:):)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea Bryan can you close them for summer riding:):)
Yep, I can! I'm going to add 2 to my floor console and open up the front foot well to the run a hose up towards the front, to draw cool air from behind the radiator, into cab. These are the vents I used. It was cheaper to buy them in the assembly and remove them, than it was to buy the individual vents. Ebay.... $7.00 for the assembly. I think individual vents were 11.00

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not a bad idea to run a hose to the front to draw cool air in, at least it would be fairly clean drawing from the front! Thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night I almost bought a XTZ hood scoop to open up and make functional for this. Almost! I just bought (yep, more $ out) a VDP soft top w/o rear window. Mine has the plastic window, last summer it was rolled up all the time and since parts are getting hard to find for the square tubes, I thought I better buy one to save the wear and tear on the one that's on it. $64 shipped, Ebay.
Here is where I bought the vents.... 5 63" x 2 13" 143mm x 54mm Double Air Vent Louver Panel for Auto A C | eBay
I see he updated his price, a little bit.
I could have square cut and used the bezel, but I wanted a factory look.
For the cool air vents, I have several boat bilge blowers laying around. I'll put one in line of the hose and be able to suck cooler air in. Wife wants the boat running by the weekend, so I changed gears. That only takes 1/2 an hour to un-winterize and uncover. It can have a river bath!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like a plan! I've seen the clear plastic material at (again) Jo Ann Fabrics, but not sure how it would hold up!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Not a bad idea to run a hose to the front to draw cool air in, at least it would be fairly clean drawing from the front! Thanks for the tip!

unless of course if your in the "conga line" when dust conditions are very bad.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yep, I can! I'm going to add 2 to my floor console and open up the front foot well to the run a hose up towards the front, to draw cool air from behind the radiator, into cab. These are the vents I used. It was cheaper to buy them in the assembly and remove them, than it was to buy the individual vents. Ebay.... $7.00 for the assembly. I think individual vents were 11.00
Great Idea Bryan.:)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wife and I just took the Prowler for a drive to look over the tornado damage from last night. She had her heat vent open and said she could really feel the heat coming through, said it felt good! Now if she noticed it, hell, they must work! And they do! When your moving you can really feel it. Kinda trickles up when your stopped, but its there... I may add a few more when I figure out my arm rest padding. Another project! :D

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Good to know! Heat is not always a bad thing! LOL

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The wife and I just took the Prowler for a drive to look over the tornado damage from last night. She had her heat vent open and said she could really feel the heat coming through, said it felt good! Now if she noticed it, hell, they must work! And they do! When your moving you can really feel it. Kinda trickles up when your stopped, but its there... I may add a few more when I figure out my arm rest padding. Another project! :D
I like your Idea,and very clean looking.:)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
GREAT IDEA butttttt ......so can you make up some plugs , remember that heat will still be there when it's 100 outside and those type vents don't seal 100% do they ???

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, they do! You can't feel anything coming through when they are closed. I'm thinking a small fan mounted in there to blow it out in the winter will help it work better.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
great that's even better !!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice work, Bryan.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
That is pretty nifty!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
If it heats decent when the temps get in the single digits I might have to give it a try. If it works good enough I could pull my under the hood heater core and get my storage back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts