Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Top Speed

41K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 07 650 and the top speed is 75 kph or about 44 mph, is this normal or is there any more to be gain ,bike is all stock , what will a clutch kit gain me ..:)

tks

#2 ·
I think they do about 53 mph I think, Maybe one of the 650 guys can give you a better idea.

#3 ·
My 08 would do 48 prior to putting in an aftermarket cdi, then it would do 52.

Now before you get to worked up, what size tires? windshield? any load? A lot of factors come into the top speed.

A clutch kit generally won't get you any top speed, they are more for gaining back what you lose for over size tires and such.

Airdam can machine your clutch sheaves for more top speed though, but the 650 can only do so much without engine mods.

#8 ·
mine does 48 on gps going downhill with a good tailwind:eek:

#10 ·
Mine last saw 86mph on a fireroad, slight down incline. Shooting for 100mph on the new build.

As a fun note, Reid Rutherford posted a photo of the GPS'd top speed of his racing Thundercat..... 104mph.... on a QUAD!!!

#9 ·
A worn drive belt can lose you several miles per hour also. And as the others said, tires, load, windshield, etc...all can cost you in the top speed dept.
But definitely, check your drive belt...as it wears, it doesn't ride up on the primary pulley as far and that can lose speed..

#27 ·
Well the really important part is the roll out. And the weight. To really do it right take two different categories of tires and have a start mark and then roll them one revolution. Then measure the distance. Tire a will have a roll out of say 85 inches. And tire b will have a roll out of 90 inches. So in other words tire b will travel 5 more inches in one revolution that tire a. I know 5 inches does not sound like much but it is. So if you have a large lug mud tire that is advertised at 26 inches in diameter. And you have a knobby tire that is advertised at 26 inches there is usually a big difference in the roll out. Also when you do this test it is important to remember that different tire pressures can affect the roll out for testing. There are a lot of friendly races won by tire tricks.:)

#28 ·
I use to have a race car and I raced on a 3/8 & 1/4 mile ovals that were asphalt and we call that tire stager we use to run 1" TO 3" tire stager with a true posy rearend and it would make the car really want to left, Damn that was fun as hell but what a money pit I could not afford to keep the lights turned on at home but I had new tires every weekend on the car, but I did win the track championship in 95.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.