Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know the name of the deal that is there to limit the torque, but when I get in high elevations it real seems to hurt the performance of my XTZ. Instead of climbing some of the steep stuff it will just sit there and do nothing. Is there a way to eliminate completely or at least modify it to allow more power to the wheels?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know the name of the deal that is there to limit the torque, but when I get in high elevations it real seems to hurt the performance of my XTZ. Instead of climbing some of the steep stuff it will just sit there and do nothing. Is there a way to eliminate completely or at least modify it to allow more power to the wheels?
Torque limiting doo dad is in the rear diff and just allows for slip on hard takeoffs and landings so you dont bust diffs and axles sounds like you need a high elevation clutch kit

·
Registered
194 Posts
when a good working stock 1000 takes off hard how high does it rev and hold. Meaning that when you are at a stop and go full throttle how high of rpm does it pull to before system begins to shift or whatever you call it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I am at a dead stop and try to take off full throttle it takes off like it has absolutely no power I have to feather the throttle to get a fast take off.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
something is wrong it sounds like, with mine floored, there is a slip and then it goes, but it does just spin the tires any time. It is almost to torquey driving around camp for some people.

Now when i messed with the efi and exhaust some. I was having a simular problem, on long climbs i would just loose power. My problem was fuel control related because of add ons. but I wonder if your cat is not sensing the altitude and auto adjusting for it.

How does it run top end? The thing should be doing burn outs!!!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
cool looking gear stuff:) lol What the hell am i looking at and what does it do?

Does it make it like a locker so it wont slip at all?

·
Registered
338 Posts
cool looking gear stuff:) lol What the hell am i looking at and what does it do?

Does it make it like a locker so it wont slip at all?

Dont worry about what your looking at there Rick, just tell the shop whos working on your cat to tear the p[ike load dampener out and weld it just like that, print the pics and take it to them. Dont wait untill its time to ride. Lol like me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
something is wrong it sounds like, with mine floored, there is a slip and then it goes, but it does just spin the tires any time. It is almost to torquey driving around camp for some people.

Now when i messed with the efi and exhaust some. I was having a simular problem, on long climbs i would just loose power. My problem was fuel control related because of add ons. but I wonder if your cat is not sensing the altitude and auto adjusting for it.

How does it run top end? The thing should be doing burn outs!!!

It seems to run good on the top end but then again this is my first sxs the only other ones I have been in were a Rhino 660 and an xt 650. Both as gutless as can be. I hit about 50-55 at 7700 ft with my me my wife my 6 and 4 year old with me. I know thats fast with passengers but it was a well groomed road. But again off the line if you put it to the floor it is not impressive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you might be on to something with the efi not reading the altitude, it does lose a ton of power when I get in the higher altitudes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine still had balls up in flagstaff going up those huge hills in the cinders. Just to throw it out there have you had any cooling problems? Mine had no power off the line but would reach 55-60 still when my head gasket was blown. How does it feel in Low range?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't noticed any over heating but the overflow looks like its a little bit lower than it was a while ago.I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow I guess they'll know if the head gasket is blown. Well I hope they notice it anyway. I should be able to pull the dip stick and see if the oil is emulsified shouldn't I. After running it for a few minutes. Or is the head gasket leak not causing the anti freeze to mix in with the oil?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Typically the coolant is being burned up in the combustion chamber and you can probably smell it, its got a sweet weird odor when it burns just like a overheating car.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Needspeed, check your spark arrestor in the muffler, it's located at the exhaust tip of your muffler. Quite often I've seen bad fuel cause those to carbon up to the point of restricting the exhaust flow. If that happens, you lose a lot of your torque but it'll still run up in speed.

Plus try putting the red rollers in your clutch, they will allow the engine to rev slightly higher so that it gets into the powerband of the engine quicker.

What are your spark plugs looking like? Run them at the altitude you are having problems at, then pull them to check what they look like. If they are running wet, the EFI may be running rich (not reading the altitude properly), if they are running black and sooty, then you may have a restriction in your exhaust such as the spark arrestor being clogged.

Another thing to consider if those don't help, the valves may need adjusting. I believe the owner's manual calls for adjusting the valves at the first 200 miles and then every 500 miles thereafter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts